Social Media Detox.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by GratifiedSlave, Aug 19, 2018.

Is leaving social media a good idea in your point of view?

1. Yes, I'm looking forward to it

2. No, it's a very bad idea

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GratifiedSlave

GratifiedSlave Fapstronaut

Hi/Namaste/Salam Fapstronauts!

I left all the social media platforms including twitter, facebook, instagram etc a couple of months ago. In the early stages of detox, it seemed very difficult for me to do so, as you all know how PMO alters our dopamine receptors so does the social media websites by giving us small but continuous dopamine dosages. But now I feel that my decision about leaving those platforms was amazing. I found out that social media is causing us damage far above our imaginations, there are many TED talks on Youtube and articles all over the internet explaining the effects of social media on our daily life.

As abstaining from PMO blesses us with a lot of benefits, deleting social media also gives us a lot of free time in which we can do so much productive work to improve our lives. This detox depletes our depression and anxiety as well.

I made this thread for everyone who is willing to leave social media by all means. I'm ready to help you all guys. :)

2. cocobutter

cocobutter Fapstronaut

For those where it's not feasible to delete your social media accounts for whatever reason ...

I went through a huge detox were I deleted all negative people from social media about two years ago, honestly it was one of the best things I ever did and I was worlds happier after doing it.

The types of people I deleted ...
    • People I never cared for much to begin with. Basically, that bully who friended everyone on Facebook.
    • People that constantly brag about great they're doing to make others feel bad.
    • People that I found myself in some weird competition with. Basically that person that wronged me years ago, so I would find myself obsessively stalking their profiles and gloat when bad things happen to them to prove that I'm doing better than them.
    • People that were not family who I barely know. If I had to think for more than a couple seconds how I knew this person, they got deleted.
    • And on LinkedIn, anyone I no longer work with who I couldn't stand when I was working with them.
    If you're thinking about leaving, I would suggest trying to do something similar to that as a first step.

Either way, after doing that, the time I do spend on social media has been far more enjoyable and positive.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. GratifiedSlave

Well, you've some good suggestions but will you please explain me the benefits of you using social media and harms of leaving it?
    Most of us, just keep scrolling the feed and waste the time in-spite of doing something productive.
    The pictures that people post on those websites, showing that they're very happy and that they've got everything builds a sense of inferiority and disturbance for the viewers especially for those who is not enjoying the same things.

4. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

I left social media because of it's toxic politicisation. You know something is wrong when you like a comment that leads you getting invited to a closed group neo-nazi page. That's why I left all forms of online media except for nofap. I don't even visit online news sites because the comments are so toxic.

5. I left all social media platforms (except NoFap) month ago and haven't looked back.
    For me it was a great choice.

6. Deean

Deean New Fapstronaut

Very nice bro, i have also no addiction to social media anymore. Well i still have them on my phone but i never use them. I have so much more time to do productive things and improving myself. Now i have started a PMO free week to start with, then i will extend it as far as i can.

I am aiming to become the best version of myself

Have a nice day everybody

7. GratifiedSlave

If you dont use them, why have them on phone? Delete them and free up space ;)

Best of luck bro

Deean and Moon Shot like this.
  8. cocobutter

cocobutter Fapstronaut

Benefits of it, for me at least, people seem to use it in place of email. I "disabled" my Facebook account at one point, and people reached out as if it were a cry for attention. Not the case, I just thought I was doing more brainless scrolling than I should be.

I went out of my way to curate it to the point that my time on there is productive and not using it as a time waster. I removed all just about all "Likes" so I don't see random spam, clicked on the "Show Less Of" feature for anyone that posts just brainless time wasters, etc.

By no means am I saying this should be used in place of just deleting social media all together, without question, getting off social media is the best thing to do for some, but for some people, deleting social media is not feasible.

GratifiedSlave likes this.
  9. Odigi13

Odigi13 Fapstronaut

i really can't leave all social media maybe i could discipline myself but i can't leave them they're a part of my life, i can maybe diminish the time spent on emm' but i really can't leave. If someone has got advice on how i can diminish that time, help me!

10. GratifiedSlave

Check this amazing TED talk out..

cocobutter likes this.