1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I start going to the gym?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by psps07, Sep 26, 2023.

1. psps07

psps07 Fapstronaut

Context:
    16 y/o male
    skinny
    great grades, bad at most sports

Should I go to the gym? there's a group of friends that works out at the local gym but I guess I'm too ashamed to go with them. Idk, I guess I find the idea a bit uncomfortable because they're the school 'athletes' and I'm bad at most sports. Maybe I can find a different gym in my area and go there instead.

I could set aside an hour and a half three days a week probably to work out. I guess the best idea might be full body workouts instead of push-pull-legs.

Open to any comments/suggestions

2. RingsOfSaturn

RingsOfSaturn New Fapstronaut

No prob brother. Go with them and do what is difficult for you. Face your fears! If it is too difficult, try to start a few weeks working out at home or in the park (beach or wherever)... It is not a big issue. Start in small and go beyond step by step, so when you feel more motivated then maybe you can help someone else to improve too. Don't forget stretchings and eating healthy, sleep well, and breathing while exercise, slow in the beginning and being aware of your body.
    The best benefit of exercise is improvement of confidence.
    Good luck brother!

natsukashii75 and psps07 like this.
  3. psps07

psps07 Fapstronaut

Thanks!! I guess I could use some more confidence haha

4. InappropriateUsername

InappropriateUsername Fapstronaut

Don't worry about being self conscious if they're friends they will support you. Maybe give you a little shit and tease but that's what friends do.

Great thing about working out is you don't need to be an “athlete.” just dedicated.

Go to the gym. It. only makes you better.

psps07 likes this.
  5. Maxwell88

Maxwell88 Fapstronaut

I'm a gym rat, have been for years, and so are some of my friends. When we see someone new walk in, and it's obvious they're just starting out, if it looks like they're there to make an honest effort and work hard, they have our respect because we know what they're undertaking, we've all been there and so we know what it's like.

psps07 and InappropriateUsername like this.
  6. newman_unleashed

newman_unleashed Fapstronaut

Go for it! I was the scrawny kid in high school also and started working out at home with what I had because we lived in the country away from town and I was not in any school sports. You can do a lot of training with just a couple dumbells. Girls noticed. When I got to university and had a gym to go to I at least had a start to build on. If you do the work and eat right you will see gains. Newbie gains are the biggest and are awesome. DON'T FORGET TO REST and RECOVER! I overtrained a lot at first and it kept me from growing as fast as I could have.

psps07 likes this.
  7. GeorgeJetson

GeorgeJetson Fapstronaut

Absolutely! I've been going for many years, and have not only improved my physique and my health, I have made some lifelong friends who have supported me through good and bad times. Good luck bro!

psps07 likes this.
  8. psps07

psps07 Fapstronaut

Bro this is some great stuff
    Thanks for all the support heh

9. Mate, get after it.
    If they are your friends they should be excited to have you there and should be happy to show you the ways.
    If you stick to it consistently within weeks you'll notice your strength increasing and within a couple of months there should be a noticeable change in your physique.

psps07 likes this.
  10. psps07

psps07 Fapstronaut

True.

I'll be dropping taekwon-do classes in a few months and picking up the gym instead, as I haven't got the time for both at the same time.

What I fear is getting there and not knowing how to use any equipment or which weights to use. I can plan a routine from home, but now know to use equipment. There are so many machines used for so many different exercises haha

11. Hopefully one of your friends will show you. Honestly at the start most exercises feel awkward but quickly you'll find the groove to them. Start light for the first 2 weeks, concentrate on good technique (hopefully someone you know knows good technique to show you). When you think you know what you're doing don't let your ego take over. Good technique and consistency will go far towards a great physique. If you're naturally skinny eat more, if you're fat cut out the junk food.

12. For the next 3 months you could do pushups, bodyweight squats and if possible pullups. When you hit the gym you don't need to overcomplicate it. Look for a full body 3 times a week beginners program online and you should be right.