1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Augustine's Joy

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I came across this translation of a quote from St. Augustine's book, "Confessions". It is so appropriate for us:

“How sweet did it suddenly seem to me to shrug off those sweet frivolities, and how glad I now was to get rid of them – I who had been loath to let them go! For it was you who cast them out from me, you, our real and all-surpassing sweetness. You cast them out and entered yourself to take their place, you who are lovelier than any pleasure, though not to flesh and blood, more lustrous than any light, yet more inward than is any secret intimacy, loftier than all honor, yet not to those who look for loftiness in themselves”

from Maria Boulding’s translation (The Confessions, Saint Augustine

again, Toni7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

The are two ways how to get out from PMO. One of them is very painful, so painful that it seems to me almost impossible for most addicts although I learned from the net that such few cases exist. This is a secular way or better said a way of a believer who mainly uses secular means as a base of his efforts. Why is this way very painful? Because our nature is loath to let something pleasant go. The major issue is that PMO is not only pleasant, it's extremely pleasant. like saint Augustine is writing here - he is very glad (even sweetness) that he shruged off some very pleasant sinful life style (my assumption). It's absolutely impossible for our nature to feel gladness and sweetnes after we have got rid of PMO. The All of our nature dreams about is to experience this sinful pleasure once again (not only once - better would be an ocean of PMO).
    That's why we can't be loath to PMO. And how to get rid of PMO when our nature loves it? We can try to fight against this law of nature but with the cost of pain. every hour without PMO is a torture for a man who has some longer PMO free time. For how long can you endure such a state? The proofs from some forums show me that it's not long, and even if after 1,2 years the addicts come back to the pit.
    What do PMO addicts think about it? They believe in a wide spread myth. The myth tells the story that after some longer time (90 days, 1 year, 3 years ...) of maintaining the soberness there comes some time when you don't feel pain without PMO because your nature has rewired, your brain is new etc. This myth says that human nature can heal itself. Many believers believe this too not knowing that such a belief is not only phantasy but that it's contrary to our faith. If our nature could repair itself after having done or ceasing to do something - all the secular efforts used to get rid of PMO, then there would be no sense for Christ to come on earth and to be killed for us. What's the use of His death and life when old religious and phylosophy schools and systems taught about how to live as a good man? The only problem would be to start living according those teachings and change on this way one's own nature. Such a way would lead to sanctity either. If a man couldb change himself for good in one aspect of his life (sying good bye to PMO) then he could do the same with a second aspect, then with a third and so on until he would become a great saint and as a result as a great saint he would have to enter heaven. So, such an individual could prove that Christ's comming or death was unnecessary.

To be brief about the second way - a way of grace given from God provided we cooperate with God. God changes our nature on this way. Phase one - He makes some changes in our nature, will which enable us to experience some diminished by God PMO calls and not to answer with PMO actions - I'm here. I believe saint Augustine was on other level. God changed his nature, will so much that he even felt the loath to choose something very pleasant but sinful.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    again, born3, Toni7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

All very true. It is also important for those who struggle with the second way to note that it also has a sweetness to it. Learning to love God by considering His nature, His long history of loving mankind and the incredible sacrifice He made for each of us. Undoubtedly, this love for God and the grace that comes from loving Him is the sweetness that St. Augustine was talking about.

again and Toni7 like this.
  4. Newman71557

Newman71557 Fapstronaut

I read that portion of confessions daily- also the section where he beholds "chaste dignified figure of Continence..." where she asks, "Can you not do what these men have done, these women? Could any of them achieve it by their own strength, without the Lord their God? He it was who granted me to them. Why try to stand by yourself, only to lose your footing...."
    By God, brothers, we will not go down.
    Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio!

again and CPilot like this.