Reading Challenge [2024]

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by UnholyConfessor, Dec 31, 2023.

1. En?gmatic

En?gmatic Fapstronaut

Lol I read Max Hasting too, I’ve read 1939-45 and 1914 but I want to read Armageddon

One Eyed Owl likes this.
  2. One Eyed Owl

One Eyed Owl Distinguished Fapstronaut

I have read Armageddon and 1939-45, but haven't read 1914. The Battle For the Falklands and Korean War were also stuff that I have read of his and I thought they were pretty interesting.

White Sheep and En?gmatic like this.
  3. En?gmatic

En?gmatic Fapstronaut

I was staring that beautiful edition of “Vietnam” by Hasting also lol

One Eyed Owl likes this.
  4. hiimbubbles

hiimbubbles Fapstronaut

I also picked on Simon Jimenez's book The Spear Cuts Through Water its ah interesting for sure its written like a 4 part play with large "Acts" instead of being broken up into chapters and this wont be everyone's cup of tea but im enjoying it personally

White Sheep likes this.
  5. GrittyRunning

GrittyRunning Fapstronaut

Just completed The Book of Pook today. Awesome book, needs to be required reading for Men.

FallingPetals likes this.
  6. GrittyRunning

No shit! “Check out the big brain on Brad”

I kneel.

7. GrittyRunning

Simultaneously reading 3 others, Rollo Tomassi’s “Religion”; No More Mr. Nice Guy, and Atomic Habits.

8. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

The Art of War by Sun Tzu...

It's a book about how to understand and defeat enemy. The result of a war is already decided before a battle. If we know the enemy we can win every war.

White Sheep likes this.
  9. goldie

goldie Fapstronaut

Currently reading The Devil by Jeffrey Burton Russell, which is a history of the concepts and ideas of primordial evil from ancient civilizations to early Christianity. Going to chase that down with St. Gregory of Nyssa's commentaries on Ecclesiastes. I have been reading the Wisdom Books in the Bible very closely lately and am interested what he has to say.

10. En?gmatic

En?gmatic Fapstronaut

H
    Great book, sadly used by modern day ''managers'' to control their employees, with Macchiavelli Prince, 48 laws of power and a few others.
    I don't think that Sun Tzu actually understanded what Lao Tzu intended with Taoism and the Ying Yang (Isn't even sure if one of these two existed, same as Heraclitus that is the one of the wisest of Ancient Hellada), but he used these with more wisdom than modern day egoistic narcisistic idiotic people that seek mere control and accumulate power and money.

Mr. Cooler likes this.
  11. Finished the first book of Deadhouse Gates (each book is split into 4 parts). Enjoying it a lot. Very comfy expansive fantasy. I much prefer fantasy/sci-fi with this level of detail and worldbuilding, more rewarding to read.

12. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

Everything can be used for good and bad both ways. It's what reason u use it for good or bad that counts. That's what life is.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  13. One Eyed Owl

*thumbs up*

White Sheep likes this.
  14. Currently reading:
    Letters from a Stoic
    By Seneca

Planning to read:
    Kingdom of God is within you
    By Leo Tolstoy

15. 7seeds

7seeds Fapstronaut

I think he means "mass psychosis" as opposed the psychopathic.

16. goldie

goldie Fapstronaut

I read this immediately after War and Peace and it turned me into a Christian.

Alrick Elden likes this.
  17. CurseOfBinding

CurseOfBinding Fapstronaut

I recently read the metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, really interesting

Joseph Campbell and SethLCU like this.
  18. One Eyed Owl

Read

Amos 5
    Proverbs 16
    ADWD 515-632
    Retribution by Max Hasting 26-76

White Sheep and En?gmatic like this.
  19. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

The Ego and the Id
    by Sigmund Freud

This book gives a basic view of psychological structure of human mind. Life instinct and death instinct. The id is the impulsive part of your personality that is driven by pleasure and repulsed by pain, the superego is the judgmental and morally correct part of your personality, and the ego is the conscious part of your personality that mediates between the id and the superego and makes decisions.

White Sheep likes this.
  20. Halfway through Deadhouse Gates. I find that just going with the flow makes the book more enjoyable than trying to understand everything as it happens. Should be done before the end of the month.

White Sheep likes this.