1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting Nicotine for good.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by BravelyKegger, Nov 6, 2023.

1. I began smoking black and mild's around 2 years ago, I fooled myself into believing I would not become addicted. I later took up vaping and currently am still using. I want to quit, but, I do not wish to suffer through withdraws and the agitation it will bring me. If anyone has any tips or advice please share.

SethLCU and Macoy like this.
  2. Hello @BravelyKegger ,

I don't have much advice in terms of vaping as I stopped my smoking right as vaping was becoming a thing. I used to smoke though about two packs a day for probably about 7+ years. For me the biggest help was I quit drinking since I smoked a lot when I would drink. The next thing I did was I made a note of all the times I would light-up and found when I would usually reach for a cigarette. The biggest times I used were in the morning, after meals, and when I would be driving. To begin, I slowly chipped away at one of those instances, so I would let myself smoke in the morning and after meals, but not while driving. Once I conqured not smoking while driving, I would chip away at another one like after meals, and so on. I'm happy to say the last time I smoked was 2017, 6 years ago, so it is possible to beat this! You can do it!

3. Thank you for the reply! I think quitting a little a time will work, I always have this all or nothing mentality but that never seems to hold up. I should limit myself for certain times of day. I can stop doing it in the morning and at night to start me off.

Macoy likes this.
  4. Yeah, cold turkey works sometimes, but for some things have found weaning off has been the best approach. I think weaning also helped with the withdrawls systems too!

BravelyKegger likes this.
  5. I believe the reason I have been able to hit 7 days PMO free is due to the nicotine. I am worried I will start craving it once I quit smoking, then I will have 2 cravings to deal with.

6. And? No one said taking healthy steps was going to always make you feel good.

7. Back-pocket Aeschylos

Back-pocket Aeschylos New Fapstronaut

Hi! I quit a decades long pack a day habit a little over 2 years ago. I had to because I joined Solidarity Health share, and if you admit to being an addict then you have to. What helped was that extrinsic motivation. But that only lasted a year, because then I quit Solidarity due to cost. But I kept going!!! I smoked a lot of herbs: most relevantly, lobelia (I think it's called rabbit tobacco?) and also laburnum (which I didn't try) have molecules with a nicotinesque shape, lobeline is the one in lobelia. It maybe helped a bit, smoked in a pipe with some other herbs (blackberry leaf, some other stuff including some of the cannabis product, which I might go back to the strictly CBD). Let's see, my last one I actually smoked two in one hand, Vietnam style. Another herb is mugwort (aka sailors tobacco). Doing an exercise sesh to stop a nice fit was a real help too. I guess I might not get nic fits any more!! But I'm really pleased I can enjoy my dad's nice pipes, just with the herbs and not inhaling. Adding powdered frankincense gives great body to the cloud. But the taste is astringent, healthy, rather than "deadly-bewitching" like good tobacco. I keep forgetting to add sugar too. Now I'm like 11 days into no-M, and this is the first time I've done nofap as an ex smoker. Hmmmmmm, I guess cigarettes do have a medium effect of comforting the oral or kissing aspect of loneliness. And I once kissed a tobacco smoker and liked it quite a bit (because of her, not the burnt tobacco smell and taste). I honestly think I could kiss her again without relapsing into smoking, but maybe not be around the actual burning cigarette, that would be risky because of the 2nd hand smoke.

8. GrittyRunning

GrittyRunning Fapstronaut

I recently got into cigars but I’m a runner and being able to run fast and set new PR’s is what I love doing so I didn’t want anything to hinder that so the cigars had to go.