1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Ssri

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jackhammer, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Jackhammer

Jackhammer Fapstronaut

Ok so there are studies out there saying that lexapro 10 mg is just as a effective as 20 mg...now I have been taking 20mg for a month now and been taking lesser doses for the past 6 months...so today with my left over prescribed lexapro I took an extra 5 mg to see if there is any difference...so do higher doses of Ssri equal more effectiveness? Because I feel as if this last month has been better but not significantly...or is it just he build up of the prior effective doses that have lead to the reduction in symptoms? Like does the drug reach is max effects after 4 to 6 weeks or does it become more effective the longer u take it reguardless of dose?

2. LiveAnAwesomeLife

LiveAnAwesomeLife Fapstronaut

I think consulting a doctor would be better for this :))

3. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

I think you are better off just asking your doctor if you want to jump to a higher dose. Some clinicians are willing to go over 20 mg. I bet they will want to stack it with another drug (or switch to a different drug) if you are not experiencing enough benefit.

SSRIs are definitely not the only game in town for treating anxiety/depression. My psychiatrist is willing to consider stacking my SNRI (duloxetine) with a very low dose lexapro if our current attempt doesn't help sufficiently.

The way your month has gone is similar to my experience with Duloxetine. 60 mg start dose = life changing. To 90 mg, I get significant improvement. 120 mg, very little improvement. At that point, we chose to stack after we milked max benefit from current drug. ymmv.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015