1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Prayers For Las Vegas Nevada

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by CaptinCaveMan, Oct 2, 2017.

1. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Just like people don't bust their asses to get drugs illegally, amiright?

Maybe if we just passed a law against murder, that would do the trick ...

2. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

So in other words:

1) you think that guns are not the problem--it's people.
    2) you think that people aren't the problem--it's guns.

3. BalancedLife

BalancedLife Fapstronaut

You have cut off half of my response to make an unnecessary and false point. If the only purpose of a gun is to discharge a bullet to the intended target, I wonder why you don't use a slingshot instead.

As I have already stated in my previous post, I am for gun ownership. I am just against automatic weapons and devices meant to transform semiautomatic in automatic.

Saskia Simone likes this.
  4. Saskia Simone

Saskia Simone Fapstronaut

No. You’ve selectively simplified to suit your confirmation bias and be dismissive.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

If you don't believe they're necessary for you, then don't buy one. But you have no right to dictate what someone else needs for self-defense.

In any case, rifles like the AR-15 aren't there to defend against home invaders. They're there to defend against tyranny.

Because when three men break into your home and you pull out your slingshot, you'll get laughed at right before you're beaten to within an inch of your life.

6. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Dismissive? Absolutely. You just told a legal CCL holder that he's automatically a risk to everyone around him. Damn right I'm going to dismiss that.

As the saying goes: "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Jen@8675309 likes this.
  7. Saskia Simone

Saskia Simone Fapstronaut

He’s conceded that risk to me himself in a pm. Your appropriated offence is uncalled for. @ConstraintsTheory and I are actually learning from each other. That doesn’t appear to be something you’re interested in.

8. BalancedLife

BalancedLife Fapstronaut

Exactly. Which goes against the claim of Jen, that the "only" purpose of guns is to discharge a bullet into a target. The REAL purpose of a gun is to discharge a bullet with sufficient momentum to be accurate for a reasonable distance and penetrate the target.

9. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

When the laws change, I hope they take away your guns first.

10. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Considering that Republicans hold the Presidency, the Senate, the House, 70% of governorships, and are dominating state legislatures at the greatest levels since the Civil War ... I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot about the balance of the Supreme Court. We'll have that for a while, too.

Plus, I live in Texas. So basically my guns and I should be good for a while.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    noonoon and Jen@8675309 like this.
  11. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Well if you live long enough, you’ll see it happen within your life time.

12. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

You're being unnecessarily divisive. I'm sure Jen was just oversimplifying. If I'm not mistaken, I think she was suggesting that there are several legal and reasonable purposes for using a gun--target shooting, hunting, and self-defense among them.

So what if the purpose is to be accurate and penetrate the target ... what's your point?

Jen@8675309 likes this.
  13. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

For a guy who rejects any notion of God, you sure have given yourself some god-like powers of seeing the future.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked earlier--what law would have prevented the Las Vegas massacre?

Jen@8675309 likes this.
  14. BalancedLife

BalancedLife Fapstronaut

My point is that they are meant to be used in self-defence. This is one of the major reasons why people buy them. Which is not compatible with a definition of gun as simplistic as "device that discharges a bullet to an intended target". They have to be precise, pack a punch, be portable (that's why they are preferred over bows and crossbows) and dissuade people from attacking you.
    They are meant to be dangerous.

15. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

It’s common sense, the new generation is being raised on liberal ideals, more so now than ever because of computers and smart phones.

Everyone who is in charge now grew up in the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and they are holding on to what they know and what they’re used to, when the entire country was conservative (for the most part). When the older generation finally dies off and the people who grew up in the 80’s and beyond take over, the liberal ideals we’ve all been programmed with will take over and things will finally change for the better.

16. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Hahaha. Everyone's liberal when they're young. You're operating under the belief that all these young people will retain all the same beliefs when they grow up. They won't. The conversion rate of liberals turning into conservatives absolutely dwarfs conversions in the other direction.

What do Andrew Breitbart, Milton Friedman, Thomas Sowell, Ronald Reagan, David Mamet, David Horowitz, and Dennis Prager all have in common? 1) they are icons of conservative political philosophy, and 2) they were all former liberals.

Good luck finding anyone of that caliber who went the other direction.

Ironically, the same is true for atheists who become Christians.

Hahaha ... all those old people ... you mean like Ben Shapiro, Tomi Lahren, Milo, Dana Loesch, Hope Hicks, and Steven Crowder? Or how about Josh Mandel, who at 40 years old is going to give Sherrod Brown a run for his money in the Ohio senate race?

The Republicans put up 16 Presidential candidates. Two of them were 44 years old. One was black. Two were Hispanic. One was female. The Democrats basically put up two rich white people, the youngest of which was 68.

Tell me again about how the Democrats are paving the way for the future.

Jen@8675309 likes this.
  17. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Just wait and see ;)

18. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

I'm pretty sure when someone talks about "discharging a bullet", they're talking about an actual, you know, bullet ... which implies penetrating a target, etc. etc. All your insistence that it has to pack a punch, blah blah blah ... it's unnecessary. No one was arguing otherwise.

And if the main purpose was to pack a punch and be portable, then there would be no reason for .22 rifles. "But people don't use those for self defense." Right. Because there are several good reasons to own and use guns.

Jen@8675309 likes this.
  19. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

That's what all you lefties were saying on November 8th--cute little winky-faces and all. And then the US citizenry came out and turned three heavily blue states into wins for a jackass womanizer. All those young people who are sooooo committed to changing the country? Most of them weren't even motivated enough to get up off their asses and vote. I mean, honestly--how shitty did your candidate have to be in order to lose to Trump??

20. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

It's not appropriated offense. It's offense. I'm a CHL holder who regularly carries. So when you say that all CHL holders are inherently putting people at risk, I'm one of the people you're talking about, and I say you're wrong.

Jen@8675309 likes this.