1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Posting Privileges Revoked on Christian Fapronauts Forum

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Buzz Lightyear, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Well, I had been engaged in a lively discussion on a thread titled - Christians and those curious about converting, what denomination are you?
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.p...nomination-are-you.125465/page-3#post-1006624

... only to find this message on my return - 'You have insufficient privileges to reply here'. Perhaps this is a mistake, or perhaps I offended someone... but I am none the wiser as no private message or notification about the matter was sent to me.

Is this not a forum for free thought? Do some people feel the need to retreat to a ghetto of group think? Please restore my privileges.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. I think you have to be member of the christian group to take part in that thread now. If all things 'Christian' have to be posted there it might makes things a bit tricky because how does one know if it's Christian or not. I noticed my 'Marrying a Prostitute' thread wasn't moved there but it does reference Hosea and Gomer. The same could be said about the 'Song of Songs' thread.

Buzz Lightyear likes this.
  3. Buzz Lightyear

Oh, I see. So the thread has been moved over to that forum of which I am not a member. Strikes me as a little strange as it was a well-developed thread... 5 or 6 pages.

Looks like a bit of harmless housekeeping then.... though it does seem a little like segregation.... or should I say congregation.:D

Personally, I have to admit I dislike the bureaucratic principle to put everything into its own compartment, nice and neat, which would frown upon the cross-fertilization of ideas. I'm all for universality.

4. Hi Buzz Lightyear, the thread in question was moved to the Christian Fapstronauts forum as a more suitable place for the topic material than the Offtopic forum. If you are not a member of the Christian Fapstronauts group, you may not have the priveleges to post in the forum. This restriction was not foreseen, however I assume that if you join the Christian Fapstronauts group you should be able to post.

5. Buzz Lightyear

Ok, cheers for that. Apologies for the momentary paranoia. Is there a particular reason for needing posting privileges for that forum? And do those threads even show up in the 'New Posts'.

I mean, it would be a shame if they were restricted to a like-minded readership without a wider audience. The place of religion is no doubt a difficult one for a secular site, but I'm sure some of the more curious of the secular-minded might also like to read those kinds of threads from time to time. Why not give people the option to read a thread or not in the general thread feed? This would encourage tolerance, liberality, the cross-fertilization of ideas, and universality.... though of course you will always get examples of the opposite... once again tolerance.

The alternative to an open policy is increasingly 'sanitized' sub-forums, where a boring group-think mentality may take root recycling the same old monotonous ideas.

6. Buzz Lightyear

As I dislike the sectarian principle, I'll not join the 'Christian Fapronauts' but post my reply here. No offence intended.

@aarondf
    But don't you see the problem here. Any old charlatan could decide to set up shop.... and tell others he heard the calling. And then there might be others, who lacking all malicious intent may just be plain delusional.

7. Buzz Lightyear

@ℭhrislan
    @CassTeaElle
    I find the above exchange quite comical, which I think comes from two vastly different mindsets. To be 'in the Church' [in Chrislan's post] is to be a member of an organization which subscribes to a set of beliefs [orthodoxy]. think of it as inter-subjectivity... or belonging to a culture. The Bible here is part and parcel of this organization... both the creation of it and the interpretation of it.

In CassTeaElle's post, to be outside the church [notice now there is no Capitalization because it is not a general idea/ institution... but the definite article 'the', signifying one, should be dropped also] is to be spatially outside some bricks and mortar :D. But this is not the proper meaning; to be 'outside the Church' means to not be a member of that organization for reason of lack of belief, or ex-communication, or whatever. Also, here the Bible [now we do have a capital] is something that stands alone, a physical book that is in need of no context, indeed, of no 'church'/ building.... 'church' really just becomes a congregation of people. What a disaster for Christianity... the Church no longer exists. But it does..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    ℭhrislan likes this.
  8. Wow, people really love to argue semantics and pick on capitalization here.

If you read my responses, you will know that I am fully aware of the difference between "church" and "The Church," as in the body of Christ. I made that pretty clear. But thanks for the condescension, I can never get enough of that.

9. Buzz Lightyear

It's not just semantics. It reflects two different ways of thinking, two different paradigms. This is why the argument never goes anywhere... because one of those paradigms remains unintelligible to the other.

10. I understand what you're saying, and I mentioned the difference between "church" and "The Church" in that thread, myself. So to imply that I don't understand the difference is untrue.

11. Buzz Lightyear

There is a re-definition of terms involved.

The Church becomes 'church', which really means a particular congregation of believers. But then you also want 'church' to refer to something more general, more abstract - the mass of believers whatever their location, which is totally understandable. This is getting toward the traditional idea of the Church, as something metaphysical beyond bricks and mortar.... and yet it remains devoid of institutional structure. Augustine is quite good in his discussion of the Church... a metaphysical City of God, and yet with a physical and real manifestation, warts and all, at the same time. It is quite natural this relation between the ideal and real, the universal and the particular, the mind and body... the fusion of both in some incarnation. Because it reflects life... unless that reflection has been dimmed by an unnatural ideology.

It's almost as if language and linguistic rules constrain us to speak a certain way about the Church.... just as we would talk about 'the state'. I wonder why that should be so.:)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  12. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

I am also concerned that cross pollination will be greatly diminished by the split between Christian and Roman Catholic forums. I preferred the open forum where anyone could comment on any thread. I guess that I could join all the groups, but I doubt that very many will do that.
    I guess that Christian denominations and conversion is not a direct part of the NoFap process

13. Buzz Lightyear

Yes, but it's not really just about religion. It's about a frame of mind that is open to conversation, dialogue and the discussion of ideas. In practical terms, and with this site in mind, this kind of open discussion serves not only to broaden the mind but distract it from the baser element. When we take pleasure in the more intelligible world, the lower natural self loses its power. We learn to take our pleasure elsewhere.

If this site can not serve that function, then it does a disservice to itself. It has to be more than about the dissemination of correct information, and a clinical segregation of differing 'parties' and 'causes'.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017