1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Political Correctness Gone Mad???

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Harderthansatan, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Deleted Account and Hiraeth like this.
  2. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

Yeah, it defies any common sense.

3. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Yeah, but don't fall into the trap of using political correctness to justify morally bankrupt ideologies, like soo many do...

4. The problem is that by eliminating debate and discussion you drive it underground. If you get chance to find this doc (it's title was Has Political Correctness Gone Mad on ch4 in the uk) then I encourage you too.

I think this is potentially very dangerous. In the show a well known feminist/old school named Germaine Greer was banned from a bunch of universities she was due to speak at. Reason why?... she doesn't consider transgender people who have gone from males to females to be full women. That's her opinion and that's it. Nothing more. Nothing oppressive. Nothing about taking rights away from trans people or anything like that... simply an opinion from a woman who's been pushing feminism since the 60s. A bit of a legend even on that struggle for equality. I think she has a right to that opinion and if she's wrong she should be debated. It's not like she has said something offensive like say 'trans people are mentally ill'... that I would understand but even then she'd be entitled to offer her insight if she did feel that was.

****Quick digression - I read something about 2/5's of post op transgender people regretting surgery - don't shoot the messenger, just what I read.****

Back to Greer. I don't mind her either way... not a fan or critic but I clearly see a problem here. Hopefully you all do too.
    There was a transgender campaigner on the show calling Greer all sorts like 'BIGOT' etc... this was totally out of line and a bit crazy.

The thing with universities was discussed and 'safe spaces'. Some of the things these British universities had banned were proposterous. They banned people wearing sombreros as it was potentially offensive to Mexicans. What????!!!!

First off, sombrero wearing in the UK is hardly a growing issue that needs too much be over-thought. Second, whatever happened to intent? If I was younger and went on a night out wearing a sombrero... does that make me a Mexican hater? No of course not. It means I'm being goofy. Nothing malicious or mean. It's a goof.

The same as if I chucked a dress on for a fancy dress party. It doesn't make me a hater of trans people or anyone affiliated. It just makes me someone who went to a party dressed up for a goof.

It's about intent people. This whole 'ban anything that stiffles discussion' is so dangerous and needs talking about sooner rather than later.

Hiraeth likes this.
  5. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Fapstronaut

Yeah but who prevented Germaine from speaking? The leftists, the social justice warriors.

The right side may also have extreme opinions but if you get called a nazi or racist because you ask questions, for example how many migrants a country can effectively integrate and support then there is something going wrong.

In my opinion the left side is way more extreme and fascist than the right side and I know some pretty extreme people on the right side (from youtube mostly).

Of course, this is limited to my own experiences and feelings. There is not enough information in my brain to conclude an universally legit answer. There is also the question whether received information is true or manipulated. I, for instance, support the right side in my own country, not because I dig their ideology (they do have some good approaches though) but because I want politics that are in the middle. I don't want a radical government. If the people only ever voted for the right wing I sure as hell would vote for the left side. I think that diversity is very important.

It's true that the 'benevolent king/dictator' is the best form of leadership, even the greeks and romans already said that, but it's not practically feasible.

Harderthansatan likes this.
  6. Craziness that they banned Germaine Greer.. I mean, it's Germaine Greer. She's paid her dues!

Hiraeth likes this.
  7. I don't think Germaine Greer has been "banned" from anything.

There was a campaign, with a petition, to stop her giving a lecture at Cardiff University.

From Wikipedia:

Accusations of transphobia
    Greer's position on transgender women has attracted controversy since 1997, when she unsuccessfully opposed the offer of a Newnham College fellowship to physicist Rachael Padman, arguing that Padman had been born male and should therefore not be admitted to a women-only college.[66][n 6] In 2015 students at Cardiff University in Wales petitioned to stop Greer from speaking to the university on "Women & Power: The Lessons of the 20th Century". The students argued that her views about transgender women were transphobic and misogynist. Greer responded by reaffirming, during an interview with the BBC's Newsnight, that she does not regard transgender women as women. In the same interview, Greer accused Caitlyn Jenner, who had been nominated for Glamour Woman of the Year, of misogyny and of successfully taking the limelight away from the other female members of the Kardashian-Jenner family. Greer's comments were condemned, with transgender comedienne Rebecca Root describing them as 'outmoded' and 'outrageous' while boxing promoter Kellie Maloney called for Greer to be prosecuted [68][69][70][68] The lecture went ahead as planned.[71] In April, 2016 on an episode of Australia's Q&A, Greer once again reiterated her views, stating that it "wasn’t fair" for a man to decide his gender.[72]

8. m_brando

m_brando Guest

This flowchart...

Attached Files:

9. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Political correctness is the zombification of society.

It's literally opinion conditioning.
    Politicians don't want independent thinkers. They want drones.

10. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

Hi, I'm one of those elite liberals and I love it! Oh yeah baby!