1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Pertinent Words from "Spritual Combat"

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

This morning, I read these words from chapter 19 of "Spiritual Combat". They hit a chord with me, I hope they are helpful to others too.

Do not presume on your own strength despite the fact that after many years of spent in the world you have remained firm against the force of concupiscence. For lust often achieves in one instant what whole years could not affect. Sometime it will make long preparations for the assault. The wound is more dangerous when it comes least expected and under a disguise. .......

If you discover that your heart is rich in spiritual comforts and joys, you must be on guard against a secret complacency with yourself, against imagining that you have attained perfection and that the enemy can no longer do you any harm because you apparently have nothing but scorn and contempt for him. The greatest caution is necessary here to prevent a relapse.

From whatever source unchaste thoughts may arise, we can drive them away by serious application to our proper duties, and by prayer and meditation.

Your prayer should be conducted in the following manner. When you see these thoughts present themselves and attempt to make an impression recollect yourself an speak to Christ crucified saying: Sweet Jesus, come to my rescue, that I may not fall a victim to my enemies." On certain occasions you may embrace a crucifix representing your dying Savior, kiss the marks of the Sacred Wounds on His feet and say with great confidence and affection: O adorable thrice holy Wounds" Imprint your figure on my heart which is filled with evil and preserve me from consenting to sin. " .......

Humility is necessary to conquer our common enemies, it is infinitely more so in this case because this vice is, for the most part, a just punishment for pride. .....

After you have conquered the temptation, you should conduct yourself as follows. Although you enjoy complete peace and consider yourself safe, avoid with the greatest care all objects that tend to temptation. Exclude them completely from your mind, even if they seem to be virtuous or good. These perversions are the illusions of a corrupt nature or trpas laid by the devil, who would transform himself into an angel of light in order to drag you down with him into the darkness of Hell itself.

Toni7 and Mara is back like this.
  2. Toni7

Toni7 Fapstronaut

Nice post. Its always good to hear something new on how to prevent relapse.
    But as a Chatolic I never heard as such a thing as meditation.. how that works?

3. Meditation is also called Mental Prayer. I pinned a post with a video which discusses it and how to practice it.

CPilot likes this.