1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

people do not say hello

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by ALEX_88, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Hi guys,
    do you ever expect someone to say hello and you do not even look at you? I will explain better, when I go to the gym I greet people, I expect them to do the same, only that this does not happen, they struggle to greet. Does it happen to you too? or it could be something wrong with my behavior, tell me yours

2. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Ill tell it from the other perspective. I’m the one who gets greeted, not me doing the greeting. At times I might not sound as polite, not because I hate you or I’m stuck-up (although I might be), but because I didn’t expect to be greeted. Many times I’m caught off-guard. Further, I have trouble summoning up names in an instant, so even if I know you well, I may not give the best greetings because of that.

It’s possible that people who don’t greet you back have a similar response.

3. I don’t think it’s you. Society is changing.

When I first started road bicycling in the ‘80’s, bicyclists all waved at each other. We’d stop if we saw another bicyclist with a flat and offer help. Nowadays most people riding ignore waves and ignore other bicyclist repairing flats. I wave at people nowadays and 90% of the time it’s ignored. I get a flat and no one makes a courtesy stop. I’ll make the courtesy stop but people don’t want any help.

As far as going to the gym in the 80’s, I remember strangers asking me if I’d spot for them while bench pressing. At the gym now, no one wants to be approached. No one wants anyone talking to them.

Society now is all about their multimedia devices. They can’t be bothered with the people right in front of them.

4. Interesting.

There was one time last year a woman at the gym I didn’t know greeted me as she walked out and I came in. I was so surprised, it’s very rare for a woman to say anything to a guy at my gym, I didn’t know what to say. I blurted out something just to say something but I think it sounded rude when I thought about it later. I blurted out “Bye” in a tone that I’m afraid sounded negative even though I didn’t mean for it to be.

Asgardian36, ALEX_88 and MLMVSS like this.
  5. In Brazil it's custom to say hello to others. You'll need to greet and greet back strangers (practically) everywhere, or else you'll (sort of) be seen as impolite/unfriendly for not having acknowledged their existence ~

Asgardian36 likes this.
  6. Do you make eye contact before you say "Hello"?

ALEX_88 likes this.
  7. ? ? ?

? ? ? Fapstronaut

Society is not the same anymore . . .

Social media killed everything . . .

The Truth . . .

horny nerd likes this.
  8. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The fact that others don't say hello to you if you speak to them, just means they are bigger PMO addicts than you are! :rolleyes:

9. This still happens in places in the Midwest USA. People that don’t know each other will start conversations and sound like they’ve known each other for awhile. People are friendlier and seem happier. On the East Coast and West Coast people are not as out going and more apt to be assholes.

I’m a West Coaster. I’m bitter, angry, broken, and hate the world. I plan on moving to the Midwest someday so I can become a nice person.

10. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

YEAH

11. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

[QUOTE = "Ginny Weasley, post: 1762946, membro: 89296"] Non dico ciao agli altri e onestamente non mi piace essere disturbato, così quando qualcuno viene da me e cerca di costringermi a una conversazione invade il mio spazio personale.

Dò anche "suggerimenti" sul fatto che io non sono interessato e ancora non capisco ... [/ QUOTE]
    TI PIACE FARE SOLO? NON ADORA LA SOCIALIZZAZIONE? E POI COSA TI PIACCIONO?

12. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

[QUOTE = "Ginny Weasley, post: 1763758, membro: 89296"] inglese? Sembra che tu mi stia urlando sanguinante con quel testo in maiuscolo. lol [/ QUOTE]
    ahahah si si sto urlando !!! :) ma non sono inglese

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. LOL
    I love the literal translation of bloody!
    Dude, you are posting in Italian.

14. I've noticed this too. every time I find myself in the midwest I'm always surprised at how friendly and warm the people are. I got lost in downtown Chicago last summer and had literal strangers come up to me and show me where to go, and I didn't even ask them. some cool people up there

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. As a Midwesterner, Chicago probably has the least nice people in it, but good that you got help when you were there. Outside of Chicago they have a reputation for not being very nice

Asgardian36 likes this.
  16. Yeah, this can be annoying. I mean, I'm a very friendly person, but that doesnt mean I'm always in the mood to strike up a conversation with a stranger. Especially somewhere like a gym, where people are busy.

I used to go out to write a lot, and it was really surprising to me how many guys would walk up to my table, while I'm clearly super focused, typing away, with headphones on, and expect me to start having a conversation with them. It's like dude... I'm busy.

17. Attractive women do get tired of men trying to talk to them. That is totally understandable.

horny nerd likes this.
  18. I’ve had similar experiences in Chicago. Total strangers coming up to me without asking and helping me. I was totally lost about how to use the transit kiosks once and another passenger on the kiosk next to me just came up without being asked and started explaining it to me. That’s never going to happen here in the SF Bay Area.

19. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I live in Minnesota and strangers don't really start conversations with each other.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  20. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    they might be intimidated by you

ALEX_88 likes this.