1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

One week in

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by PaleAle76, Jan 21, 2018.

1. PaleAle76

PaleAle76 Fapstronaut

One week in. I am hopeful, but scared. I feel hopeful because so far this week, things for the most part have been overwhelmingly positive. I feel like I have learned something in me is broken, and I feel better about knowing that I am taking solid, meaningful steps to correct them and be a better version of myself. I feel closer to my fiancé than I have in a long time. We are communicating and opening up about our emotions, fears, anxieties, etc. I see a brightness in her eyes that I had forgotten was there. And I like to think that it is because she is proud of me.
    But I am also scared. I am scared because I KNOW it can't always be this easy. Its only been 7 days, and I still have a long way to travel, and there will be bigger, more daunting roadblocks along the way. I cannot get complacent, and my biggest fear is that I will. Willpower has never been my strong suit.
    On another, more sobering note, I received a text message from my sister yesterday morning. She is currently living with my mom and her husband until she moves across the pond to England. My mom had fallen outside the house, and her and my mom's husband had to help her into the house, and then she ended up falling again on the stairs. She had been drinking. Per usual. My mom loves her white wine, and it is nothing for her to down a bottle all by herself in an evening. For a woman who probably weighs 120 lbs, this level of drinking is alarming enough in itself, but I also knows she has a tendency to pop pills (xa.nax) as well. She ended up with a fractured rib and collar bone. When I heard this, emotions came flooding through me… about my own addiction…. and my mom's… and my sister's. Both of them have problems with alcohol. And pills. One the plus side, it is another sobering reminder of my own compulsions. And hopefully this will be the wake-up call my mom needs to realize she too has a problem that she needs to address.

moonesque and WillSquirrel like this.
  2. WillSquirrel

WillSquirrel Fapstronaut

Hang in there. I to struggle with complacency. If I remember right around day 27 I started getting complacent but thankfully my SO called me out on it and I got back on track. ;)

I hate to here that about your family. My dad is an alcoholic and drug addict. So I know the worry and the pain that a son has for a parent that is an addict. The day I realized I was an addicted to P hit me pretty hard because I never wanted to be like him. However, the difference between our parents and us is that we see we have a problem and we're trying to change.

The best is yet to come.:emoji_chipmunk:

PaleAle76 and Kenzi like this.
  3. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

There will. Recognising your own patterns, the situations that will be difficult for you, is part of the battle. There's a saying, "forewarned is forearmed".

I am in a difficult patch now and one thing I have realised is that I do not need to be strong, I just need to be strong enough. Though I cannot give a lion's raw that shakes the whole world I can crawl on another day.

PaleAle76, Kenzi and WillSquirrel like this.
  4. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Grats on seven days, Ive found so much about my family’s personality surrounding addiction and emotional regulation once I started going off this addiction. It can be an additional level of stress but also illuminating and connecting.

WillSquirrel and PaleAle76 like this.