1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

NoFap causes hair loss?!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Arnulf, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ANewFocus

ANewFocus Fapstronaut

I’m sorry you’re losing your hair. At about your age my hair thinned significantly. Minoxidil has helped over the years and I haven’t seen much thinning since a rapid spike around 30. It is best to work with doctors and physicians on this. Anything we do here is only speculation.

2. iamShinra

iamShinra Fapstronaut

Their are other ways too, to stimulate your brain instead of PMO, Like sports etc

3. dank_dave

dank_dave New Fapstronaut

I sincerely sympathize with you man. I have had these doubts as well because it is really shocking to see such a positive thing have such a negative impact. At the end of the day, you are not going to achieve anything by thinking, researching, and speculating. I don't know why people have not done research on the impact of abstinence till now. One thing though is absolutely clear that going forward you are going to face baldness issues regardless of whether you fap or not as your follicles are sensitive to DHT which is the same case with me as well.

Let me get to the point. Your gone hair is not going to come back and neither will fapping or not fapping reverse the effects of hair loss you've faced. This may sound the most cliched answer but it is the only possible answer here that you either accept your hair problems or consult with a doctor to start the treatment because thinking about all this takes a toll on mental health and also decreases confidence. One more thing is that if you do not feel guilt or shame you can continue either fapping or you can continue your streak as well whatever you feel comfortable with but please don't let this problem affect your life for too long and just get started with the treatment. Trust me I've ruined one year of my life just researching stuff and wasting lots of time. Stay healthy, eat healthy, sleep healthy, and have a positive attitude towards life and good thing will happen bro. All the best for the future

Arnulf and ANewFocus like this.
  4. Arnulf

Arnulf Fapstronaut

Thank you, @dank_dave for your thoughtful reply. I am not ready to quite give up on my hair yet, but I take this all into considerations.

"Stay healthy, eat healthy, sleep healthy, and have a positive attitude towards life and good thing will happen" this I think we can all agree on :)

5. Arnulf

Arnulf Fapstronaut

I've been spending some time lately reading success stories and experiences from over a thousand people who have done Nofap. Some of the benefits that a LOT of people experience is:

* Deeper voice
    * Thicker facial hair growth
    * A lot have also reported increased body hair

These are all directly connected to increased DHT levels in the body.

There is also the DHT/prostate connection that worries a lot of people. I am not one of them, as I think semen retention can be healty! However the science shows fewer ejaculations increases prostate size. Wheras more frequent ejaculations keeps it small. What grows the prostate? DHT!

I have not made a conclusion yet, and maybe I never will. However, in order to have a factual discussion here we need to have a look at all angles of the situation.

Feel free to share your experiences! :)

(No need to post any of the "Nofap doesnt cause prostate cancer"-comments, as we are all on the same page here and we have all read these posts already)

Thanks!

6. dank_dave

dank_dave New Fapstronaut

There are two things I would like to add to the discussion
    1) There was a research article from NCBI I had read 1 or 1.5 months ago which was regarding how sexual activity regulates the DHT hormone across the body. Most of the research article focuses on how DHT is regulated in the body when sexual activity is performed.

There was one very interesting thing the article mentioned is that DHT receptors across the body are not all the same. DHT receptors on the scalp are different than the ones on the chest and face and it was clearly stated that sexual activity does not trigger DHT receptors on the scalp which makes me think that people who post success stories of hair growth on Nofap forums have basically discarded their bad lifestyles and implemented a good one due to which this change has occurred in them. One thing I can tell for sure is that naturally, no person who is balding can have thick hair all over the scalp naturally unless they have medical conditions like telogen effluvium.

Regarding telogen effluvium, I also considered the possibility that flatline can cause stress on the body which may have made us to go into that state but that is impossible as it only lasts for like 6-8 months. The only solution I can think of which is tried and tested is Minoxidil and Finasteride. I would advise Minoxidil as a topical lotion because Finasteride being an oral tablet I find too risky for the body. Though, Finastride would bring better results faster than Minoxidil, there is always a risk.

2) Regarding the prostate cancer thing you mentioned, I think that there are way too many factors that can contribute to prostate cancer and fapping or not fapping is a very small factor in that thing. I believe people wanted to find the benefits of masturbation and could not find much so they blatantly wrote that masturbation can avoid it. Do not drink, smoke and exercise daily and you won't have problems of prostate because I have observed people who sit too much all day long have such problems. Also, try to cut down on weight if you are fat as fat induces testosterone and by seeing your condition, more testosterone I believe is the last thing you want.

Fun fact: Finasteride was initially used to cure prostate cancer and during the treatment, it was observed that it could also be used for hair restoration then, it was approved for hair regrowth as well and now it sells more because of its hair regrowth properties rather than for its prostate cancer-curing properties.

Arnulf and Momakyet like this.
  7. Arnulf

Arnulf Fapstronaut

Thank you for the excellent contribution to the discussion @dank_dave !

I've read several studies and references to studies that says DHT increases a lot after orgasming. But I have noticed prostate enlargement since I started Nofap, probably because in the first years I desperately tried avoiding ejaculation, but still couldnt stop edging sometimes.
    Now, if we take into consideration some studies claiming DHT seems to have a PROTECTIVE role in the prostate (definitely a connection) then it makes sense that DHT increases during abstinence where the prostate cannot empty and get stressed. Especially if you cant avoid arousal. (if you are not aroused and dont signal the body to produce sperm I am sure it is fine).

I'm considering Finasteride as I see it is good for decreasing DHT and makes the thin hair thicker, as long as it isnt completely bald areas. But I will wait until I am finished having kids because of the risk of birth defects. I tried minoxidil, but it didnt work for me.

It makes sense that Finasteride works for both Prostate enlargement and hair loss as it is the same mechanism that causes it, namely DHT. And if you read Soaring Eagle's writings he says many of us PMO-addicts have problem with frequent urination, dribble, weak urine stream, so there is DEFINITELY a prostate connection, and since prostate enlargement and hair loss are connected then there is definitely a hair loss connection too. No matter what many people claim "It's all genetic, it doesnt matter if you fap or not".

DHT raises during arousal to create sperm when the body thinks you are going to procreate.

Now what we need to determine is if it is the withholding of orgasm and fantasizing that causes high DHT because of sperm production, for example if you edge (this causes your prostate to swell up, I am sure everyone has felt this difficulty urinating after).
    OR
    If it is simply over-ejaculating that causes the high DHT.

Or perhaps the frequent arousal and the signal to the body for creating sperm and raising DHT is the cause in BOTH examples.

Sorry for the long post and bad English, its not my first language. (Also I am fit and working out, not fat. )

8. MitchA

MitchA Fapstronaut

Sorry man, but hair loss up front...its a simple fact that like half of men deal with. PMO or no PMO...nofap or no nofap.

9. Bigboss77

Bigboss77 New Fapstronaut

I created an account just to comment my situation. I have the same problem, I’ve been on NoFap for 1 year and 3 months…and my hair is getting worse than ever. Thinning from the sides. I watched a doctor saying that NoFap for 6 months will restore ur hairline and thicken ur hair. And of course, that was bull sh$t. I might stop the streak. Cuz i have no other choice. I’m hopeless tbh.

Dilshan Gamage likes this.
  10. forlornhope

forlornhope New Fapstronaut

I just made this account to share my similar experience, i believe nofap causes hair loss if you already have MPB and you'r sensitive to the DHT , i tried this experience on myself on a span 3 times for 3 years yielding the same results i'm 100% sure that NoFap causes hairloss for me, mind you i do have MPV already.
    I went on a 50 days NoFap, the benefits are there, Strong emotions, defined jawline, anger (testosterone related), joy , motivation, more confidence, but i could notice how my hairline regressed and my sides grew faster than the top of my head .
    it is normal tho, the higher testosterone the higher DHT not even counting your increased androgen receptor on scalp. i got hair growing on the fingers of my hand during this nofap venture which is a sign of elevated dht levels, before that my body hair was minimal.
    It is true that NoFap makes your hair look healthier , but on a receiding hairline...
    Sucks that i have to numb myself to keep dht in check .... :(

11. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

I can debunk the first part. From 15 to 28 I edged an absolute ton yet my hair was still exactly the same(thick, no recession).

Since starting nofap however, my hair has thinned a lot and currently it's the worst it's ever been. It's also started to go wavy as well when before it's always been straight. Maybe I was just destined to start thinning from 28 onwards and this is just a coincidence but I'm inclined to believe there is some link there. I've also been in a flatline virtually the entire time and the streak -> relapse -> streak cycle has probably aggravated my body even more. I won't be stopping nofap but this hair thing is definitely getting me down, I may look at getting a hair transplant in the future if it continues.

I won't be taking finasteride as I'm fearful of the sides and I also worry how it would impact on my recovery. On a side note, something I found interesting is how similar post-finasteride-syndrome symptoms are to the nofap-flatline, they're virtually identical.

12. sirloid

sirloid Fapstronaut

There seems to be some evidence now that for a lot of men balding is a result of scalp tension. It may be because of a lack of circulation around the hair follicles, and it's the combination of this lack of circulation and DHT and not just DHT alone. Stress and overall health probably plays into it as well. Anecdotal but I still have thick hair and fairly loose scalp skin. My grandfather on my mom's side went bald at 20 so everyone said I'd be bald by now.

It's pretty new science but it seems legitimate to me, and biological science usually progresses in this way where things turn out to be a bit more complicated than the very simple models that we start with.

This is the video where I first learned about this. He doesn't claim that the scalp exercises will work for everyone but it seems to help for a lot of people.

absoluteminded and hd47 like this.
  13. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

I've just done a little more digging. I googled "curly hair testosterone" and quite a few topics from the F2M(female to male trans) subreddit came up, it seems it's quite common for those on testosterone therapy to see their previously straight hair turn curly/wavy. Now I'm not transitioning(or at least I hope not LOL) so I can only surmise that my body is now producing more testosterone than previously, or is more sensitive to it as my hair has always been straight but now it's pretty wild and growing in all kinds of directions. I'm going to cut it soon because it's starting to look a right mess but this has definitely only started to happen in the past year and I don't see any other reason for it.

14. Dilshan Gamage

Dilshan Gamage New Fapstronaut

@Arnulf Thank you , I actually thought this was a problem only for me, because everywhere it says that pmo hair grows, my hair loss increasing when i was in nofap more than 1 weeks. I observed this for a long time,

ANewFocus likes this.