1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

New Levels of Isolation.. In certain seasons in life, do we even need friends?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

I'm in a time of reflection, thinking about how far The Most High has brought me. I've never really "fit in" for my whole life, but lately I've been really feeling like a stranger here. I know Scripture tells us about being seperate and Set-Apart, but this really hits different. It's like I can't relate to anyone, except the fellowship groups I'm part of online, and even there I feel ignored and alone sometimes. The Most High is pretty much the only one that makes me truly happy, everything else in this world is empty and vain to me.
    More recently, I've been even feeling that I don't want friends. Maybe it's because of past hurt, burnout/exhaustion, or lack of Godly people around me. I love to give and serve, and it seems people take advantage and don't really care to reciprocate.

Either way, there's a lot to learn in periods of isolation. I'd be lying if i said I never got lonely or felt sad, because I do, but the Most High is my portion. I stay focused on working (Maybe I work too hard haha), and I think of Psalm 23:1. It's getting me closer to Him, so His Will be done.

Anyone else feel this way?

I read through this plan and it was encouraging, here's a link for anyone else who's interested:
    https://www.bible.com/reading-plans/27143-christian-loneliness

Thank you for reading if you made it this far, just had to vent my feelings somewhere. Shalom

Wilderness Wanderer likes this.
  2. Dear, deep friends are few and far between. Some never have one, save for the Lord. Acquaintances are just that. We were designed for community, but sin has placed a strain on all of them.

In this life, we are mostly alone, even when we have a few close friends. We can never really get inside anyone else's head. But we do have a Friend who is closer than a brother! I see you have made him your primary focus.

All is well. Know that you always have friends here! God bless you.

Muha22 and Wilderness Wanderer like this.
  3. You have a desire to be known. No one can know you the way God knows you, so every human relationship will include some measure of, "this person doesn't really know me." That is how it has to be for now. But I do think being alone is unhealthy and not the way God intends for us to live. Perhaps ask a older, mature, godly man from your church out for lunch. Get to know him, let him get to know you. If you find that you get along, just tell him, "I need a friend, I could use a mentor, etc., would you mind meeting once a week/every other week/once a month?" You could do this with one or two other guys, too.

4. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

@Wilderness Wanderer @Tao Jones Thank you so much for your responses, they're really appreciated. This has never really bothered me until now, and lately I've been feeling really sad and heavy about. I can only be stong for so long until I have to go to The Most High for strength. I feel bad for feeling this way, and wish I didn't have this desire at all because it feels like I'm being ungrateful.

This is a good idea. I'll have to find another church home first though, because most of the groups I've encountered don't align with Scripture, or didn't make me feel welcome.

5. Muha22

Muha22 Fapstronaut

From time to time isolation can be a good thing , but if u are isolated too much it is definitely a bad thing, we all need to be a part of some community

6. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

I feel like isolation is just something I need to get used to, as I have been pretty much most of my life, I'venever got in anywhere. Loke the Scriptures say, we're not of the world, we're just passing through. I've been adjusting well lately, I just want these desires for marriage and companionship to go away, becauw they still get in the way a bit. I understand those are natural desires, but I'm trying to die to myself and all my desires. I don't want to think about anything that God doesn't have planned

7. Muha22

Muha22 Fapstronaut

wait are u saying you have been living in isolation most of your life?

8. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

Not isolation necessarily, but I've never really had friends or people I could fit in with, or trust besides my small family

9. Friends and family are a great gift. We do not need many of either to be complete or for life to be rich.