1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My journey with loneliness and its relationship to my PMO problem

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by S_McKay, Jun 22, 2017.

1. S_McKay

S_McKay New Fapstronaut

This post will double as a search for support and a confession of how I feel most of the time, which I think might help my road to recovery. I hope you'll forgive that it's a bit of a stream of conscious.
    I think that a mixture of loneliness regret about my lifestyle is probably the biggest cause of my abuse of PMO. When I was a teenager I never really had any friends. I had a friendship group but was never close to any of them. When I went to university I would only go to my lectures and seminars and then go home without talking to anyone. I'm currently twenty-three and I've never had a serious relationship or had a sexual encounter of any kind. When I started my Master's degree I realised that was no longer enough for me so I started to try and get out there and meet new people and maybe find myself a girlfriend. I realised during this process that I'd missed out on so much in my youth and I think that's increased my sexual frustration. I often resent other, young, couples and I can't stand to hear colleagues talk about their youthful "exploits." Even though I have a great group of friends this year, that I've never had before, I lack that companionship that I want from a relationship. Sometimes I feel so lonely I could cry, like no one really knows me.
    I ended up dating a girl during my master's year but she treated me terribly with behaviour bordering on "gas lighting" in day-to-day interactions and when it came to sex it was always "next time, next time" which, as you can imagine, was somewhat frustrating to a young virgin. That experience only heightened my frustration which has led to more and more masturbation. Earlier this year I had what I thought was the best relationship I'd ever been in but it later emerged that it wasn't a relationship at all and she'd been leading me on the whole time. I don't even know why.
    Every time I try and get close to a girl they abruptly cut off contact with me, "ghost" me I guess you call it. Each time it gets more and more distressing to the point where I can't imagine myself being in a normal relationship. It's so alien to me and my lack of experience of relationships makes it hard for me to construct one. I always think about times when I've come so close and failed, I imagine alternate scenarios, I masturbate. At this stage, having the sexual encounter has become the most important thing to me and I fear that that is what is poisoning all my relationships. My hope is that if I can get my sexual urges under control and then I can build a meaningful relationship and end this chronic loneliness.
    Has anyone else ever felt like this? The isolation, the regret, the mythologising of the sexual act to the point where you can't even look at a woman without thinking of her sexually? How did anyone deal with it? Will I ever be able to get over it, or will it always be there in the back of my mind?

Hardboiled24 and Flyhigh like this.
  2. Mixtec

Mixtec Fapstronaut

I can somewhat relate to your story. During the last few years I dropped out of college and started working. It became harder and harder to socialize or get a girl. Eventually I turned to social media to get girls. It was a good in the early years but as the years have progressed so did my problems with pmo. Plenty of rejections after being led on. Plenty of relationships that I screwed up because of feeling insecure or that I wasn't up to a girls standards. I think back now and tell myself I should have married by now since I had the opportunity but I was so caught up in this addiction.

I remember just a few months ago early this year. I was so depressed and lonely that I would often cry myself to sleep. I lost my appetite and couldn't sleep at night. I was going out of my mind trying to overcome this addiction to pmo.

That was until I found and joined a mens support group. They were all guys from different walks of life. Some were just coming out of prison, some were business owners, and some were common people like me. The point is I learned to open up to them. I learned to talk to them about my addiction and loneliness. They listen and always encourage me to keep fighting this good fight. It's worth it in the end. I can see the difference in my life now. I relapsed the other night but I didn't binge. I called someone and they listened.

What I'm telling you is this. Find someone or a group to belong to. People who are going to walk this journey with you. You are not alone in your battle against addiction. You have yet to experience life to the fullest, plenty of places to visit, more people to speak to, and you have yet to meet the woman who will truly love you. Don't surrender to the momentary pain. Find inspiration in people who also fighting their battles diligently.

Finally I and others on here care about your struggle because we're all fighting together.

Hardboiled24 likes this.