1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Muuuusic

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Gilbert, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Fapstronaut

So I'm using my instruments as motivation/distraction/inspiration for quitting PMO for good. I have a goal where I just want to get really good at the piano and flute basically - pass my grade 8's, study music at uni, form a career hopefully, and having these goals and regular routine practice is helping somewhat for me.

I just wondered if anyone else here was musical at all and played, or if you're not whether you find listening to music helps you, and what you like listening too.

2. Kurapika

Kurapika Guest

I can't play any musical instruments but music helps me to fight urges. I really enjoy listening to a Lebanese singer named Fayruz and an Egyptian singer named Um Kalthoum.

3. I play piano and can read music sheets. I also understand a bit of music theory. But working full-time cuts into my ability to practice as regularly as I would like. The ART of playing an instrument is getting lost with technology and the abundance of music software out there (like Garage Band and Perfect Drummer). However, music will always be an integral part of media and advertising and, consequently, business. I'll watch films and listen to soundtracks for movies like "The Shining" and I'll analyze someone like Stanley Kubrick and why he would choose a particular recording over another. "The Shining" in particular was groundbreaking in the way the staccato strings conveyed the drama and terror. So even though I don't intend to become a professional musician, I enjoy understanding very basic things like major vs. minor chords. Music allows you to influence people in an extremely subtle but effective way.

4. Kristian

Kristian Fapstronaut

I fell in love with singing when I was around 14 years old, give or take. I've been vocal singing since then and there's not even a single day when I do not interact with my voice or music. Music saved my life without a doubt and it is one of the few reasons that I'm still alive. I am not even joking. I passed through a very rough period in the last half-year and I've been quite sad and depressive. Completely lost. Yet music was always there for me. I bough a guitar last year, but I have been practicing properly in the last couple of months, now I am super in love with it. I am not sure if I'll make a career out of it, but I will never give up on it. I owe music my life. I love writing songs, lyrics and I'm an addict for a lot of genres such as like folk, acoustic, rock, pop, blues and many many more. I'm super opened to music genres and as long as it has a good message or an important lesson, I like it regardless of who sings it. I used to hate the artists that I did not like and I realized that I was an idiot. If I don't like something, I don't talk about it randomly, because it is not constructive at all. I'm minding my own business and trying as much as possible to focus only on the things that I like.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Fapstronaut

Three really interesting and different responses ahah wow. Music is certainly a powerful thing.

6. Grichnoch

Grichnoch Fapstronaut

Yes! Listening to music is a great way for me to fight urges. Producing and recording music (whether my own or someone else's) is a great way to fill time and avoid urges altogether. Not many triggers when you spend 6 hours eyes glued to a mixer. ;)