1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Melting glaciers will NOT raise sealevels

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Davidphd1866, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

I grow weary of the global warming alarmists who claim that melting sea ice will catastrophically raise ocean levels.

First, physicist Bernoulli's Principle of melting ice shows that the displacement of the water due to the ice has already been accounted for. Go ahead, fill a glass with water, float an ice cube on it, watch it melt. Did the water overflow the glass? Nope.

Second, if you argue that "oh, the freshwater ice has a different density than sea water"........therefore it will rise....I will tell you that the earth is a closed system and the SHAPE of the earth already flexed and adjusted for the weight of the ice on land and sea. Matter is neither created nor eliminated. The shape of the earth is NOT fixed. The volume of the "sea" is not fixed and finite.

Third, IF the water level actually DID rise, so would evaporation levels. Evaporation is a function of surface area. The larger the body of water, the more water that will evaporate from it. Thus, the ocean level is a self adjusting cycle that goes on and on. Melting of sea ice will only create......more sea ice!

Fourth, why would you worry about fractions of an inch per year when the moon causes tidal changes over the course of hours that measure in several FEET? Shouldn't we be far more afraid of changes in the moon's gravitational pull on the water surface than we should about a few inches a century?

David

2. I'm more inclined to say that global warming doesn't exist in the first place. These alarmists are completely unconcerning.

3. This is most distressing news, David. I had plans to buy future beachfront property in Compton, CA.

Immature, Kenzi, Paperweight and 3 others like this.
  4. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Chris, I am laughing my butt off on that comment. That you said Compton instead of, say, Pico Rivera says a lot.

I keep telling my wife to pray for rising ocean levels.....until my home in the South Bay becomes beachfront property. Alas, I doubt we will see it.

As for Liquid Shoes, I agree with you. I also fail to understand WHO decides that warmer is "bad". Why isn't warmer good? Longer growing season = less famine in the world. Wouldn't that be a good thing? I would expect my family in Minnesota to beg for global warming....as long as it doesn't upset the ice fishing season. If it did, they better extend the summer licenses.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I figured Compton has the least expensive property thus giving me the best ROI once the new beach comes in.

4B8501EB-216D-4345-9AB6-8AE03DBD1C9D.png

Kenzi, wisdomkaulen and Davidphd1866 like this.
  6. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Chris, that is awesome! Bellflower is looking pretty good too. I suppose we will no longer be able to get a seat at Jaybe's BBQ in Compton during lunch when all this raising occurs!

Don't count out Lomita. Bargains can still be had there too. LOL.

7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Just so I understand: sea ice or land ice? Sorry, I automatically think of land ice when I hear glaciers.

Sea ice melt definitely doesn't raise sea levels though.

8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I'm more of a skeptic than an actual denier. I do believe we have an effect, but how much of an effect are we having, and how much is contributed to CO2 versus urban heat island, deforestation, etc? Why do the same people pushing global warming live in 5 mansions, on the COAST, that each gets constantly air conditioned/heated? And why do they take private planes to events?

9. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Good question. I am talking about both. I was sloppy in the original post. There IS some argument to be made in point #2. Ice (either floating on the ocean, or resting on pliable land) is made up of fresh water. (rain or snow falling from the sky and turning to ice) And melted fresh water and sea water are not the same density. If that were the only part of the equation, folks would be correct--melting ice would raise ocean levels. But there are other mitigating factors such as an increase evaporation levels. (The earth is getting warmer, they say, wouldn't that increase evaporation?)

Thus, the issue isn't overall sea levels, it's the velocity of the cycle from evaporation, precipitation, accumulation, melting.....and back to evaporation.

10. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Also great questions. We need to ask ManBearPig himself: Al Gore!

Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  11. Global warming is dressed in science. But it’s not science. It’s propaganda.

Just another materialist, doomsaying, establishment cult telling ordinary people to hate and resent their fellow man for the crime of breathing or heaven forbid, using a car.

The earth isn’t heating up. Oil isn’t made of mushed up dinosaurs. It is self renewing and will not ever run out. Buy an SUV if you like them.

Deleted Account and Davidphd1866 like this.
  12. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Well said, Auspicious. I like what you say about oil. One could argue that oil is the ultimate GREEN energy. After all, it's made from old decayed plant matter. How is this different from the greens making compost piles in their back yards? It just takes a million years or so for the process!

And speaking CO2, IF we are increasing it, there will be more trees to soak it up. Plants breath CO2 and give off Oxygen. Once again, the atmosphere is self-regulating. How cool is that?

13. http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html

"There is no doubt that our research proves that crude oil and natural gas are generated without the involvement of fossils. All types of bedrock can serve as reservoirs of oil," says Vladimir Kutcherov, who adds that this is true of land areas that have not yet been prospected for these energy sources.

... Oh.

Reality = Hydrocarbons created by pressure of earth on naturally abundunt minerals like calcium carbonate

Cartoon world = Oil is made of the compressed remains of giant lizards bigger than double-decker buses

Once again, reality is exactly what you would expect it to be if you weren't completely out of your mind. People today are so hoodwinked and bamboozled it is simply stunning. It is astonishing people swallow this crap. Apparently the more outrageous the claim, the more people will believe it and start screaming at their fellow man about mythical dinosaurs, melting ice caps and drowning polar bears.

Polar bears hunt for food in water, of course they drown occassionally. It's an occupational hazard.

14. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Polar bears hunt for food in the water.....I love it! I am gonna steal that line to annoy some of my "greenie" friends. I also like how somehow drinking Coca Cola will help the polar bear. Oh, and nice job filming ones coming out of "walking hibernation.

Thanks Auspicious.

15. wisdomkaulen

wisdomkaulen Fapstronaut

If you doubt climate change here in Germany no one takes you serious. People think you´re an idiot. In school we occasionally talk about climate change. When being lectured about environmental issues, facts like this one are presented to us:

,,In 2009 more than 5.000 people died because of floods in Bangladesh´´

However, it seems to me that we never discuss the scientifc controversy of climate change. The only answer we hear is something like ,,Yea, it´s because of car-emissons´´. In my opinion it´s kind of sad how self-proclaimed open mined and progressive teachers are not interested in their students opinions, no matter if they´re right or wrong.

btw, thanks for you´re nice post :)

Immature and Davidphd1866 like this.
  16. A country so brainwashed and self hating they voted for a someone who was a member of the communist youth. Twice.

[​IMG]

Tell the truth, and society goes into a panic until the witch is driven out.

wisdomkaulen and Davidphd1866 like this.
  17. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

I feel for you Wisdomkaulen. Schools in particular are no longer bastions of free intellectual thought. Instead, they are simply tools of the left. I applaud you for being able to think independently--regardless of the outcome.

I am impressed by how you can see through the comments like the one you quoted about floods in Bangladesh. I have a favorite of mine that you may find amusing:

"If we don't do something about global warming, billions will die in the next century." (From National Geographic Magazine)

I ask you Wisdomkaulen, what is the fraud in the "true" statement? Could it be that billions will die in the next century no matter what we do? (seeing as almost 100% of all humans die before they see their 100th birthday)

18. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

There is fanatical support and opposition to global warming and both sides have certain views that are misplaced. However global warming is a serious man made problem that will have lasting irreversible effects and lead to the continued mass extinction of species. To doubt that this problem exists at this point contradicts nearly universal scientific acceptance. It is those that cast doubt on the issue that are manipulating public opinion for their own financial gain. I support independent thinking and questioning authority, but global warming is real. This problem will be humankind's defining challenge in the years to come whether you choose to believe in it or not.

19. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

@Mankrik: Just like the man-caused global cooling of the 70's?

Immature likes this.
  20. http://www.wnd.com/2008/05/64734/

derp

"More than 31,000 scientists across the U.S. – including more than 9,000 Ph.D.s in fields such as atmospheric science, climatology, Earth science, environment and dozens of other specialties – have signed a petition rejecting “global warming,” the assumption that the human production of greenhouse gases is damaging Earth’s climate.

“There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate,” the petition states. “Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.”"

but I guess television said the polar bears were drowning so we gotta DO SOMETHING or the SKY WILL FALL DOWN AND WE'LL GO EXTINCT yadda yadda yadda just increase carbon taxes to make everyone who works poorer and the state richer...

the way they fuck with your mind is strange. is your globe warming, does your climate change?

you think you're saving humanity, you don't understand, your agenda will just make things far worse

Davidphd1866 likes this.