Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Hi I’m on a 20 day streak , my biggest ever so far and I don’t know if it’s because of nofap but I’m looking for new ways to improve myself . I’m also trying to lose weight so I’m doing intermittent fasting , started exercising ,cold showers , I even stopped eating meat for about a month now . Anyway most of the success stories I’ve seen say that mediation is very helpful so I wanted to ask what meditation techniques are you using , I tried doing meditation using the technique that makes you focus on the breathing but I gave up a while ago , from what I read this is the one a beginner should try but for me it hasn’t been really working , I mean my mind gets distracted so quick and I’m having trouble meditating for even 5 minutes . I wanted to ask your opinion . Thanks .

IbrahimViking likes this.
  2. The breathing can be difficult to focus on, but the point of meditation is to refocus your attention as good as you can. That is the exercise. To go back to your breathing. Your mind is going to wander no matter what. It can't be avoided, although I've found it to become easier the longer you practice. That said, there's one thing that is easier to focus on than the air moving through your nose and mouth: sound. I believe it's why monks say 'ooohm' and things like that on the exhale. It's harder to get distracted from sound as it can provide a good focus 'point.'
    When you succeed in really focusing on the breathing it can be amazing. It's almost better than sex in a way.

3. IbrahimViking

IbrahimViking Fapstronaut

Hello. Don't treat your mind wondering as a failure. We often make that mistake because of how others describe meditation. If you sit with your eyes closed, watch your breath, and, when you notice that your mind wonders, just watch yourself thinking those thoughts, this may be the better option for you. Just observe everything that is happening - thoughts, breath, feeling in your toes or head. See if you have tension or relaxation anywhere in your muscles - both are fine.
    Fighting against anything will get you further entangled in it. Allow your mind to wonder. You may start feeling a certain calmness which you will recognize as a meditative state. Then, as you are more confident, you can adjust and create your own techniques that get you to that state.