1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Useless Username, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Useless Username

Useless Username Fapstronaut

First of all i searched a little bit on this forum but i haven't found something similar altough there already may be some threads about meditation.

I've done some research about meditation because that's something that i really want to get in my life because of the benefits I've heard.

Now.. There are lots of Youtube Videos and Blogs about "how to meditate" but at the end they all want to make money out of it.(Which i can understand)

I've read about the "Vigliance Meditation" (Don't know the correct english word) where you concentrate on your breath and try not to think about anything but your breath and your surroundings.

I don't want to adapt a new religion. I just want to get into that spiritual condition where you are aware of yourself. And furthermore to strengthen your frontal cortex as i understood it

My question now: Is it possible by just "learning-by-doing" and I can sort it out by my own, or do i need to visit some expensive Courses and buy some books?

Because it really doesn't sound that hard if you just give yourself the time you need to get into it.

I am very thankful for any advice.

I wish you all a nice and produktive day
    Best regards, Useless Username

2. ItalianMan

ItalianMan Fapstronaut

No, you don't have to attempt to expensive courses at all. I suggest you to read Full catastrophe living by Jon Kabat Zinn. He developed a secular way of meditating from different buddhist pratices (such as zazen and vipassana) that is based on the development of awareness.

If you want to attempt to courses look at buddhist group, they usually don't ask for money and are very grateful to explain the pratice, even if you don't want to become a buddhist. It is useful to attempt to acourse (not an expensive one) but it is not necessary.

Anonymous86 and Useless Username like this.