1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Cosmo Boy, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Cosmo Boy

Cosmo Boy New Fapstronaut

Hey,

I workout and eat well which I find is helpful in keeping my mental health on kilter. However, I have never tried meditation before. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for books or videos I might try?

I have a lot of time to myself at the moment and I can be exercising 24/7 to keep myself distracted.

Thanks

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

Google mindfulness meditation..
    Cheers hey.

3. please join here -Meditation Challenge - 60 days ..
    you can join us and make your life even better...
    you can look for many type of meditation and share your progress with us....
    It would be great for both you and us...

4. mindatrisk

mindatrisk Fapstronaut

Learning to meditate is obviously very useful, but is a practice that will take time. My suggestion is to focus on developing some good technique for one minute. Increase only when you want to increase because you are enjoying it. If you want to get some of the benefits of meditation without doing the formal techniques then plonk your arse down in a chair in a quiet room and just sit there. Really, just sit there. Let your mind wander. You'll probably be itching to do something or to think about something, but just sit it out. In time your mind will settle down and deeper states of peace and calm will arise. This is an easy way to adjust to meditative states without having to learn or know or do anything. If you have sufficient determination then get a tealight candle, light it, and commit to watching it burn all the way through (3 hours usually). It's kind of hard, but a good ice breaker. Once you've done this then sitting in silence for an hour a day seems relatively easy. And that hour in silence will soon become your favourite part of the day, as you sink into the riches and depths of the present moment.

5. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

I highly recommend the app Headspace as a great resource for learning to meditate. If you need to just get started and need a place to start try this: sit down with your eyes open but not focused on anything, take a few deep breaths in the nose and out the mouth before closing your eyes. You can do a body scan briefly if you want but the core of the meditation should consist of you following your natural breathing. Try counting each in breath (1) and out breath (2) up to 10 and then start back at one. When (not if, when :)) you get distracted simply note the distraction and return to where you left off (don't start over at 1 when you get distracted.)

6. Clean Plate

Clean Plate Fapstronaut

A book by Shunryu Suzuki called "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" is a great book on PROPER meditation. It shows you how meditation should be carried out. Not that I have a problem with the westernized versions of meditation (hold breath four seconds, breathe out 4 seconds etc.) I just feel that the westernized versions are a "watered down" version of the "real way/original way" to meditate.

7. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

I use the Calm App, find it very useful. Its a paid App, but there's a free trial period I think. I do 10 minutes every morning, and, like NoFap, you can track your "streaks" ...I find it useful, and the content is always fresh and varied.

The Headspace App is also very good, an offers 10 free taster sessions before asking you to fork out any cash.
    My milage varies while meditating... Sometimes I really struggle with it. Especially when I have a lot on my mind! But that's also the time it's most beneficial. I've recently added "breathwork" into my routine, again using an App for support... Prana Breath. That's free, and easy to follow. I know this will sound silly, but it helps me clear my find and focus, before I meditate... And I get more out my "sit".

There's also a ton of stuff freely available on YouTube, just search for "guided meditation".

I'm a very pragmatic person, and don't really do all the hippy dippy shit, but find meditation very helpful.
    Wish I'd stated 30 years ago!

8. Eh, I would say screw all the meditation app nonsense, meditate like the real men did without phones.

Step 1 is to perfect your breathing, and eliminate subconscious tension in your abdomen (belly breathing).

Step 2 is to train yourself to absorb the most subtle nuances in your environment. Get out of your head and begin mentally listening to everything...your bloodflow, heartbeat, wind, leaves rustling, the grain of wood from your chair, the subtlety of everything around you. Your mind will follow.

The key is to not try. Let your mind pkay through what it wants, don't force any scenarios.

If you ever feel lost or losing control, ground yourself by regaining focus on belly breathing. Feel that air energy rush inside of you. Mentally traverse your body and loosen any tension in your brow, stomach, dick, etc.

Hope this helped, check out the mental side of any martial art for more info.

9. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

That's great if you can do it. I'd suggest the real men that did it without their phones would have been trained by a real person. In a monastery, or meditation class. Of course, if this option is available to you, go for it.

Personally, I find the apps incredibly helpful. I've done over 500 sessions with the Calm App, and it's probably one of the last apps I'd delete from my phone. But I understand it's not for everyone, and there is an obvious "disconnect" between the basic premise of meditation, and using technology. But, I'm a pragmatist at heart, and my philosophy is whatever works, works.
    You have described one technique... And if that works for you on a daily basis, that's great. I think (actually I know) I'd struggle with just doing that.

I meditate without the apps, too... Generally when I have some unexpected down time (in a queue, waiting for an appointment etc). Using techniques taught by the apps.

If I had to delete the apps tomorrow, I'd still meditate. I'd just find it harder. That's the paradox with meditation for me... It's one of the easiest things you can possibly do, and one of the hardest.

Bottom line, I find the Apps helpful, and as with everything, your mileage may vary. May you be well. May you be happy. May you be at peace.