Literary quotes about addiction and PMO (and a couple other things).

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Don Gately, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

There are a couple threads like this floating around, but I want this one to be specifically about quotes that are from literary sources or have great language. They don't necessarily have to be inspiring, but inspiring is good. If they're relatable or accurately portray the mind or situation of the addict, that works too. If you read something and think "that's exactly how I feel," it might be a good one.

I'll be on the lookout to find a few more myself.

And yeah, I'm going to include religious texts in here if they fit the bill.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Whackless likes this.
  2. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

“--and then you're in serious trouble, very serious trouble, and you know it, finally, deadly serious trouble, because this Substance you thought was your one true friend, that you gave up all for, gladly, that for so long gave you relief from the pain of the Losses your love of that relief caused, your mother and lover and god and compadre, has finally removed its smily-face mask to reveal centerless eyes and a ravening maw, and canines down to here, it's the Face In The Floor, the grinning root-white face of your worst nightmares, and the face is your own face in the mirror, now, it's you, the Substance has devoured or replaced and become you, and the puke-, drool- and Substance-crusted T-shirt you've both worn for weeks now gets torn off and you stand there looking and in the root-white chest where your heart (given away to It) should be beating, in its exposed chest's center and centerless eyes is just a lightless hole, more teeth, and a beckoning taloned hand dangling something irresistible, and now you see you've been had, screwed royal, stripped and fucked and tossed to the side like some stuffed toy to lie for all time in the posture you land in. You see now that It's your enemy and your worst personal nightmare and the trouble It's gotten you into is undeniable and you still can't stop. Doing the Substance now is like attending Black Mass but you still can't stop, even though the Substance no longer gets you high. You are, as they say, Finished. You cannot get drunk and you cannot get sober; you cannot get high and you cannot get straight. You are behind bars; you are in a cage and can see only bars in every direction. You are in the kind of a hell of a mess that either ends lives or turns them around.”
    David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

3. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

"Hal, who’s empty but not dumb, theorizes privately that what passes for hip cynical transcendence of sentiment is really some kind of fear of being really human, since to be really human (at least as he conceptualizes it) is probably to be unavoidably sentimental and naive and goo-prone and generally pathetic, is to be in some basic interior way forever infantile, some sort of not-quite-right-looking infant dragging itself anaclitically around the map, with big wet eyes and froggy-soft skin, huge skull, gooey drool. One of the really American things about Hal, probably, is the way he despises what it is he’s really lonely for: this hideous internal self, incontinent of sentiment and need, that pules and writhes just under the hip empty mask, anhedonia.”

Whackless, Beingpure and Username1021 like this.
  4. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

“...most Substance-addicted people are also addicted to thinking, meaning they have a compulsive and unhealthy relationship with their own thinking.”

Geno and Whackless like this.
  5. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

1 Corinthians 10:13 - "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it]."

Whackless likes this.
  6. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Proverbs 6:27 - "Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?"

Whackless likes this.
  7. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Psalm 23
    "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

Whackless likes this.
  8. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

"None of my children will be great either, except perhaps Tom. He's suffering over the choosing right now. It's a painful thing to watch. And somewhere in me I want him to say yes. Isn't that strange? A father to want his son condemned to greatness! What selfishness that must be."
    -Sam Hamilton in East of Eden

Whackless likes this.
  9. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

"Tom sat down by the round center table. Dessie sat on the sofa, and she could see that he was still embarrassed from his last admission. She thought, How pure he is, how unfit for a world that even she knew more about than he did. A dragon killer, he was, a rescuer of damsels, and his small sins seemed so great to him that he felt unfit and unseemly. She wished her father were here. Her father had felt greatness in Tom. Perhaps he would know now how to release it out of its darkness and let it fly free.”
    -East of Eden

Whackless likes this.
  10. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

"Samuel told Adam Trask that Tom was arguing with greatness. And the father watched his son and could feel the drive and the fear, the advance and the retreat, because he could feel it in himself.

Tom did not have his father's lyric softness or his gay good looks. But you could feel Tom when you came near to him-you could feel strength and warmth and iron integrity. And under all of this was a shrinking- a shy shrinking. He could be as gay as his father, and suddenly in the middle it would be cut the way you would cut a violin string, and you could watch Tom go whirling into darkness."
    -East of Eden

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Whackless likes this.
  11. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

"Tom's cowardice was as huge as his courage, as it must be in great men. His violence balanced his tenderness, and himself was a pitted battlefield of his own forces."
    -East of Eden

Whackless likes this.
  12. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

It's probably worth pointing out that part of Tom's issue is that he disappears sometimes to go visit prostitutes. Not the same, but a similar vice to PMO.

Whackless likes this.
  13. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
    1Corinthians 13:11

Whackless likes this.
  14. Whackless

Whackless Fapstronaut

Very nice work Don Gately!

Don Gately likes this.
  15. Whackless

Whackless Fapstronaut

[​IMG]
    “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    Dr. Seuss

Geno and Don Gately like this.