Learning a new Language Challenge Join now!!!

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Ignis Divinis, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Finished reading Siddhartha. Probably gonna give a reading session on it later, even though the prose will be somewhat weird to translate.

Books to read in German:
    ̶D̶i̶e̶ ̶N̶e̶b̶e̶l̶ ̶v̶o̶n̶ ̶A̶v̶a̶l̶o̶n̶

̶S̶i̶d̶d̶h̶a̶r̶t̶h̶a̶

Der Mythos von Sisyphus

Dämonen

Der Idiot

Also Sprach Zarathustra

Im Ersten Kreis

Die Krebsstation

Ein Tag im Leben des Iwan Denissowitsch

Schuld und Sühne

Die Bekenntnisse Des Heiligen Augustinus

Revanthegrey and Don80 like this.
  2. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

el dia 6 espanol de duolingo

Revanthegrey likes this.
  3. Found a cute poem today.
    Wenn ich an Kopfweh leide und Neurosen,
    mich unverstanden fühle oder alt,
    und mich die holden Musen nicht liebkosen,
    dann konsultiere ich den Doktor Wald.

When I suffer from headaches and mental ails,
    feel confused or old,
    and when the lovely muses no longer caress me,
    then I consult Dr. Forest.
    Er ist mein Augenarzt und Psychiater,
    mein Orthopäde und mein Internist.
    Er hilft mir sicher über jeden Kater,
    ob er von Kummer oder Cognac ist.

He is my eye doctor and shrink,
    my orthopedist and internist.
    He surely helps me over every hangover,
    whether it be from grief or drink.

Er hält nicht viel von Pülverchen und Pille,
    doch umso mehr von Luft und Sonnenschein.
    Und kaum umfängt mich angenehme Stille,
    raunt er mir zu: „Nun atme mal tief ein!“

He cares not much for powders and pills,
    but all the more for air and sunshine.
    And as soon as pleasant quiet envelops me,
    he whispers, "now take a deep breath!"

Ist seine Praxis oft auch überlaufen,
    in seiner Obhut läuft man sich gesund.
    Und Kreislaufkranke, die noch heute schnaufen,
    sind morgen ohne klinischen Befund.

His office is often overrun,
    in his care man comes back to health.
    And circulatory illnesses that make one wheeze,
    leave without a trace tomorrow.
    Er bringt uns immer wieder auf die Beine,
    das Seelische ins Gleichgewicht,
    verhindert Fettansatz und Gallensteine.
    nur – Hausbesuche macht er leider nicht.

He always brings us back to our feet,
    our spirits back in balance,
    prevents corpulence and gallstones,
    but sadly makes no house visits.
    (Autor: Förster Helmut Dagenbach, 1986)

Revanthegrey likes this.
  4. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

day 7 Spanish duolingo

5. Learned some smoking related terms as well as vocab about addiction in my daily listening to DW. I've also decided to start working in this workbook I found online to improve my written expression at the C1-C2 level so I can start at my best when I move to Germany. Weiter so!

6. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

7. Pitbull

Pitbull Fapstronaut

this is cool but i have a question
    i already speak english..and a big part of the world speak english
    so why do i have to spend energy and time learning another language
    why not spend that time in learning some other useful skill

DeterminedRebooter likes this.
  8. That's a very personal matter. Personally, I learn it because I want to move to Germany and integrate as best as possible with the culture. And yes, all the states in Germany do report at least a 60 percent fluency rate with English, but in quite a few contexts they'll pretend to not know English, even though they actually do. So there's that.

There's also the requirement for a level of fluency to be attained to get a job or to study at a university. In Germany you need B1 fluency to become a citizen and C1 to study at most universities there.

Some people also learn out of heritage. A great deal of people I know who learn German do so because they have a bit of German ancestry that they'd like to expound upon.

But then there's also the aesthetic of simply being able to read in a foreign language. Lots of people look up to Theodore Roosevelt, who could read fluently in both German and French and sported many books in both languages in his summer retreat in Sagamore Hill.

Then there's the mental health benefits associated with it. I reasoned that being able to speak two languages would help me with piano since two voices could translate to two hands playing independently of each other. But each to his own, really.

9. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

El dia 8 de espanol en duolingo.

@Servo_Operator , in addition, if you are able to speak fluently, you can connect with the native speakers a lot more than when speaking in English.

When I was in Spain on holiday, with my poor beginner Spanish, I could only speak using single words that's not the same but I enjoyed it very much anyway.

@Pitbull Not everyone speaks English and even if they do it may not be very high level. I like the sound of Spanish and come across a lot of memes and good articles in Spanish when I'm learning new vocabulary and google it.

10. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

el dia nueve de espanol en Duolingo

11. I decided to switch books to read in German and moved on to the book Silence (which later became a Scorsese film.) I highly recommend anybody read the book or just watch the movie for its literary value. I highly enjoyed it even when I was an atheist.

12. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

I know I should have installed Spanish keyboard. I never make mistakes with this letter because we have a similar sound "ń" in my language. I also created an app to write Spanish letters with accents. It's textarea with several buttons but in the end, I still have to take this app from my bookmarks and copy the letters and paste them. But thanks for your tip :)

engelman likes this.
  13. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

el dia 10 de español

BTW I installed the Spanish keyboard and tried to type Spanish accents but the shortcuts don't work.
    ñ only codes work fine alt 0241

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  14. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

el dia 11 de español

Revanthegrey likes this.
  15. New book came in the mail! It will be a good way to learn new vocab. [​IMG]

recoome, Revanthegrey and Don80 like this.
  16. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

el dia 12 de español
    I love languages the old school way too. Grammar books and drills as well as vocabulary books help to remember new structures and vocabulary as you see them several times in various contexts. According to some study, you need to see a word 9! times to remember it well.

17. Based on that, this one guy said that you'd have to read 127 books in your target language to reach those nine times for an "educated" vocabulary. But you'd have to have a perfect distribution for that lol

18. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

If you do duolingo, it's possible. For me, revision makes sense. There are some words which I learn very easily and some that I need to cram.