1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Do It

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Over the last few weeks, I have written articles on various topics. In the article “No Cheating I recommended praying, “Father, help me to raise the standards in turning from lust.”

In the article “Triggers I recommended several prayers to prepare for temptation. In the article Snap It I gave 6 idea's about what to think about when we have a lustful thought.

The point of this article is not to review old articles. The point is to take a look at what we actually “do” in our efforts to change. If we aren't fanatical in planning to “do” something from an article, odds are we won't do what it says for long.

Plan What To Do

Consider putting notes everywhere to remind you “To Do” what an article advises. Written notes, sticky notes, notes in code, etc. At work put PTL for praise the Lord, or RFL for run from lust.

Take notes on 3 by 5 cards which you can take with you or use anywhere.

Spend a block of time praying over your notes, or printouts of articles.

Pray about turning aggressively from lust in advance, and often.

Write out 4 reasons that you want to quit. Review them often. Things like, I want to fulfil my purpose, I want to live in the light because I hate the darkness, I am sick of satan ruining my life.

Have a time in the evening to review how well the “plan” was achieved. To see how it could be improved.

Your daily plan should include more things from old articles than from new ones. What are your most vital habits that you need to form?

When is temptation most severe. Write down which articles will really help. The more you take notes about which articles help with what situations, the better it will be.

Believe that you can start to be filled with joy. Psalm 51:12 ESV

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.”

Jesus says that your life can be great. Believe it.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Some have 200 lustful thoughts per day. The best way to get rid of these thoughts is by first thinking new thoughts. The Bible says to follow righteousness and to be righteous. Consider praying:

“Father, teach me how to think right.”

Righteousness is pursuing the character of Christ. Jesus always prayed. Always be prepared to pray. Take prayers with you everywhere on 3 by 5 cards, or on a printout. At some point, you will have a bunch of them memorized.

Righteousness is desiring living right over fleshly indulgence. Study blessings, and do what it takes to get them. Living right is “knowing” that short-term pleasure with added destruction is never worth it. That thinking long-term (God's way) starts to lead to joy. Consider praying:

“Father, show me what living in Your continual presence would be like.”

Tip: The more we live in it, the more joy we start to have.

“Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.”
    Henri J.M. Nouwen

Second, if you have 200 lustful thoughts per day, 90% of them may be from satan. When you fight back every time with prayer, or especially with scripture, how discouraged will he be? Answer, quite a bit. If you fight back every time you might be shocked that sometimes those thoughts drop to only 10-20 per day. That is just a start, but it is progress.

Proverbs 10:2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.

It is easy to see death in an Oxy overdose. It is easy to see something starting to die when a person drinks around the clock. It is easy to see something partially dying when a gambler gambles every penny and begins to ruin every relationship.

But it is harder to see it when it is me. I am an expert at ignoring the destruction I cause myself. I do everything to convince others it is not happening. Consider praying:

“Father, show me exactly what my consequences are.”

“Father, help me to flee my lusts, and help me to pursue righteousness.”

It is hard to think about pursuing righteousness too often. Consider praying this often and pursue it hourly. It will light up your life.

3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Joseph ran from lust because he knew God had something for him to do. He also knew that lust would greatly hinder his ability to do it.

Today, I have not taken 1 second to think about what God wants me to do. I will never be famous like Joseph because of that error.

God created all of us to do something. I can continue in bleakness today, or I can review articles about what to think about (Yes, I struggle to do what my articles say. So I am going to print the ideas that I have not made into habits).

Second, never give up. When life is blah, having a goal of how to improve will make life way better.

Ephesians 2:10 ESV For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

Today I was struggling because I was ignoring this verse. Joseph's faith was always close to 100% that God had a purpose for him. Consider praying:

“Father, increase my faith, and help me to run from lust.”

Today I plan to work on habits about what to think about.

Work on habits, increase faith, and increase success.