1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Jordan Peterson: Hero or Villain

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Senecathestoic, Jul 19, 2019.

1. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I studied Marx heavily in college because I was interested in political philosophy especially in regards to totalitarian regimes, but my specialty were the ancients. I'll try though.

Peterson doesn't understand Marx but he doesn't need to. The "Marxists" he rails against in society likewise have a thin grasp on Marxism (BLM, trans movements, etc.-- Marx only had only hostile sentiments towards these groups and their motives or nothing to say at all) Peterson is obviously railing against the moral, cultural, and hierarchical relativistic "intellectual" movements in America right now. He's (mistakenly) branded that as Marxist, but whatever it is, it's toxic, demeaning, and dehumanizing as hell. It's worth noting that these groups usually consider themselves Marxist in a mistaken sense as well (probably because Marx is identified as a "revolutionaries'" thinker). I've read hundreds of pages of Marx and never saw anything about identifying with your race/ gender and bludgeoning society with it (in fact, the opposite-- Marx had an essay on feminism as a faux-revolutionary arm of the bourgeoise to keep it in power).

Nitpicking Peterson on Marx is to miss this point, to be honest Derrida is a bit out of my league and so I can't comment if Peterson is right about post-modern moral relativism.

Ὀρφεύς likes this.
  2. ElSabio

ElSabio Fapstronaut

Hero. He's not correct about everything which I think goes without saying. He doesn't confuse postmodernism with marxism. He says that postmodernism's rejection of all hierarchy makes action impossible, which is absolutely correct, and then postmodernist thinkers default to marxism in order to take action. He has pointed out the moronic nonsense of saying that hierarchy is inherently bad and has made a lot of people butthurt in doing so. If anyone can find a single anti-trans (transphobic is a bullshit term with zero meaning) thing he has said I'm open to listen.

3. I was a bit obsessed with him for some time when he became popular on YouTube around 2018. I share basically everything he says, especially about modern feminism. And I can relate to the way he expresses himself. I am nowhere near as eloquent and knowledgeable as him but I feel like he uses language in such a logical and precise way, that most people don't even understand what he is saying and constantly put words into his mouth. I often experience the same thing, because I always think, what is the most logical way to express my thoughts. But such way of expression is unnatural for most people and so they tend to misunderstand what is said which is frustrating.

Also he's never said anything transphobic but again, people love to put words into his mouth and make him the bad guy. He said he will not be dictated by the law how to address a person's self-chosen gender identity. If I identify as a pansexual polyamorous nonbinary genderfluid vegan Apache helicopter, it is common sense that I cannot force another person to address me that way, let alone by law. Nobody can be forced to accept another person's values/beliefs. That is not "hate speech" or "offensiveness" or "discrimination". Everyone has the right to live out their values and opinions freely, but they cannot force another person to change their values and beliefs by invading their freedom of speech. That is all he said.

Fat Boy likes this.
  4. No he's is transfobic i have no edvience or shred of proof that would indicate that but thankfully i dont need that to just call him a transfobic piece of crap.

5. [​IMG]

6. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

They are basically watered-down variants of what could be considered "Marxist thought", mixed heavily with critical theory. Race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. (whichever one is convenient at the time) are swapped out with class as the primary cause for all human corruption and suffering.

It's something like this, postmodernism and moral relativism are used to strip someone of their cultural identity and traditions. Then they are hit with WOKE SOCIAL JUSTICE NAZIS ERRYWHERE indoctrination to save them from the abyss. That seems to be the method I saw practiced at my college.

ElSabio likes this.
  7. UncleBarnacle

UncleBarnacle Fapstronaut

Mr. Peterson, whose work of which I am very familiar as recently as this morning, obviously has something to say that strikes a chord with his 2 million-plus followers, many of whom seem to be slack-jawed alt-right morons.

But his revealing his severe bouts with depression, his all-meat diet which was probably partly responsible for his recently serious illness which almost killed him (unless someone poisoned him) and his assertion that marriage and children are the pinnacle of achievement for straight white males makes everything else he says suspect.

I also notice the guy has almost no sense of humor or playfulness, unlike, say, Eckhart Tolle, Sadhguru, Mooji, or other beings who have awakened and take life and people's "problems" far less seriously, knowing it is all but a dream which one witnesses by floating gently down the stream. He's got a pretty tight sphincter, this man.

He also says "Bloody" about 20 times a video.

Doesn't hurt me. I wish him luck. I am glad he didn't die. But beware of self-help gurus with millions of followers. What does this man actually DO? Can he fix a car? Can he hang drywall? Does he know what to do if the toilet overflows or the lights go out? I don't know...he may be one of those people who loves to hear himself talk and has made a nice living out of it talking to those who love to listen to talkers.

PS I love the interview where the interviewer says "Ok" about 50 times and Peterson comes back with "No, not ok!"

He is also, by his own admission, extremely argumentative, which is the sign of a small mind - holding a fixed position and existing on a lower vibrational level, if you want to go into the realm of consciousness, awakeness and, I shudder to use the term, "enlightenment."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    CarP likes this.
  8. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

Well, he certainly does state that this scenario is valued by every developed civilization that has stood the test of time. It's interesting that you restrict this to only "straight white males". Can you give me a quote where Peterson commands "straight white males" to marry each other and try to reproduce in this fashion?

Somnambul likes this.
  9. I've seen some of stuff, but not a lot. He certainly does have alt-right followers, even though I don't think he's a massive alt-righter himself.

I don't think talking about depression disqualifies him. An all-meat diet doesn't sound like a good idea. If you were to attempt that, you'd want to be eating mostly organ meat, which I'm guessing he wasn't doing. I agree that marriage and children certainly aren't the pinnacle of achievement for anyone.

I find him too judgemental. Probably a little on the narcissistic side.

Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I'd rather listen to Sam Harris. Or if I was feeling conservative, maybe Niall Ferguson.

10. UncleBarnacle

There is this sorely misguided concept that things like "civilization" matter - meaning "human civilization." Every species seeks to reproduce, of course. But I would not call human civilization something extraordinary, except for, you know, advances in medicine, quick travel, the phone, the computer, and such.

Otherwise, hundreds of millions of people slaughtered, enslaved, raped, tortured just in the last hundred years. While you read this, somewhere a man is having sex with an infant. A million humans across the planet commit suicide every year. Pardon me if I don't have a very high opinion of civilization, or the human race.

And we die, sir. And within a few short years it is as though we were never here at all. That includes our parents, children, grandchildren - all dust, all nothing, in the end.

Stood the test of what "time"? Time doesn't exist. There is only now, no?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Somnambul likes this.
  11. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Jordan Peterson saved my life. Even if what he says is not original, it was him I heard it from. He exposed me to the whole world, and I love him for it.

Fat Boy and ElSabio like this.
  12. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Normal people be like...

13. jaguar18

jaguar18 Fapstronaut

This statement is based on a simple misunderstanding of the difference between biological sex and gender. So yes, technically what you said is wrong (factually).

14. jaguar18

jaguar18 Fapstronaut

It isn't impossible to transition. I know plenty of people who have transitioned. What is your point here?

15. you can transition to a trans man or trans woman, but not to a man or a woman.

ElSabio likes this.
  16. UncleBarnacle

I am a duck because I SAY I am a duck! You will address me from now on as "Mr. Quackers." And if anyone thinks it's weird that I go around wearing feathers, my feelings are hurt and I will doxx them and get them fired and canceled and disbarred and dismembered and disemboweled! And tomorrow I may be a stove! You will address me as "Chick N. Cooker" and address me only by twisting my knobs, or else!

Somnambul and AngelofDarkness like this.
  17. vikingsarehere

vikingsarehere Fapstronaut

It's because he is controlled opposition, so sad to see so many people have fallen for him.