1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I've come to accept a hard truth: Life is Pain

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

There's always a constant battle between good and evil, the spirit and the flesh, as stated in the Bible. We're surrounded by temptation, and most people only care about themselves, not caring about how others feel, or how their actions affect others. Pain will be felt either way as a result of this war, either from being overcome and defeated with evil, or resisting evil in a fallen world to live a better life.

In my short time here in this world, I've come to accept the hard truths that most people don't care about your feelings, and feelings are irrelevant most times. We will experience pain either way, either from hating ourselves and struggling with self control, or constantly fighting urges and taking on habits that make us successful but uncomfortable.

I've been feeling "Blah" lately and didn't really know why until these scriptures came to mind:

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
    Ecclesiastes 1:2

I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.
    Ecclesiastes 1:14

I think of this not as a reason to think "Nothing Matters" but instead, why waste my time chasing after fleeting pleasure? It has done nothing for me anyway. Even the good things I do in life, what will that profit? This starts to become more spiritual for me, but I hope you understand.

We all have desires for relationships, intimacy, companionship, acceptance, etc. but we're entitlened to none of those, and must accept the fact that might not come. Instead of seeking cheap replacements that deepen the void, just work on improving yourself. It seems that no one cares about complaining or feelings, and feelings are temporary.

For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.
    Ecclesiastes 1:18

2. victorrr

victorrr Fapstronaut

Yeah, it's the season in which the old has to go and everything is prepared in the long dark winter for another revival in spring. And so it goes on forever it seems. And for what...good question.

3. This life is very much a place of Purgatory, the purpose of which is to perfect our love so it immitates and is united to God who is love itself. We are all called to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect, but what does this mean? It means we are called to love with the same agape love God has for us. Since God is perfect in Himself, He gains nothing by loving us. His love therefore is perfectly selfless and so in order for us to have union with such a love we too must be selfless. We do this by accepting this world as it is and not what we think it should be. We practice this selfless love when we love our enemies, or when we practice a good work without the desire of being noticed and thanked. We practice this selfless love when we bear patiently with sickness and persecution. We practice this selfless love when we detach from our own will and follow God's, especially when He wills for us to go somewhere we dont want or to renouce something/someone we're attached to.

Yet, we don't do this for no reason. No, we do this with and through God, who in the Person of Jesus Christ did it for us. In this way we participate in the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross, and so our sacrifices becomes joined to His. This means your sufferings can be offered up for the conversion of sinners and the eternal salvation of souls.

4. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

Well said, Halleluyah

Mara is back likes this.
  5. Yungeen

Yungeen New Fapstronaut

While I'm reading this, purpose over a pleasure come to my head, u not lying everything vanity tho, I have to learn that, and one verse that came to my head is this:
    Matthew 6:33
    King James Version
    33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

GrittyRunning and SirQwerty like this.
  6. Welcome to the forum, @SirQwerty!

It's important as Christians that we take the Fall and the fact that sin is in the world seriously. But sometimes we think a bit too much like the world--you know, that people are inherently good, etc. I think of what Peter and John wrote,

1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.

1 John 3:13 Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you.

God has told us in his word that sin is in the world:

Genesis 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

But we are still surprised! I think this happens to all of us, though. And especially so when we come to realize the evil committed against us. It serves as a kind of wake-up call. Of course, it is particularly important that we realize that our own hearts are fallen, and that this fallenness (sin nature) permeates every aspect of our being: our minds, our wills, our hearts.

As Christians, we don't have to put on a fake smile and be optimists. It is vital to realize that Jesus Christ has defeated sin, death, the devil, the world, which is what gives us hope--and this Christian hope is nothing like the sort of attitudinal optimism of the world--but also crucial to be realists. Yes, sin is in the world, and also in my heart. The fallenness of the world means trials are going to come our way (Acts 14:22, "through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.") Pain, suffering, persecution. Sorrow, heartache, loss.

But God can turn evil for good:

Genesis 50:20 As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.

And this is most especially seen in the climactic event of history, the cross-work of Christ:

Acts 2:22-24 22 "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know- 23 this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.

The most sinful, evil, heinous act ever committed--the murder of the Son of God--was planned by God before the foundation of the world, not just to demonstrate his power, or wisdom, though it does these things, but to demonstrate his love for his people in once-and-for-all atoning for their sin, declaring them righteous, and to bring them into his holy Presence:

Hebrews 9:11-12 11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) 12 he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

Romans 4:1-8 1 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness." 4 Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. 5 And to the one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: 7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; 8 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin."

Revelation 21:1-4 1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."

Ecclesiastes needs to be read in the context of the rest of the Scriptures. The point of Ecclesiastes can be summarized in the idea that, without God, life has no meaning. But the corollary is also true, that with God, life has meaning, and may even have pleasantness and joy. Our suffering also has meaning.

Sorry for the long post. Christian suffering is a topic I've been interested in and thought a lot about over the years. A lot more could be said--in fact, needs to be said, and some of Paul's letters really have a lot of important stuff on the topic that should frame our understanding of suffering as Christians, the passing from this age to the next age, our exodus from exile to God's edenic presence, and how our suffering relates to Christ and his suffering. Anyway, feel free to send me a private message if you're interested in a really thoughtful book on the subject.

Mara is back and SirQwerty like this.
  7. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

Thank you for the welcome and your thoughtful response! I definitely see what you're saying, and I certainly agree. Revelation 21-22, Isaiah 65-66, is what I live for and what I look forward to. I've been spending more time in quiet and meditating on the Word, and I feel The Most High shifting my mindset. My affection for most things in this world has been taken away, and in the uncomfortable seasons in life are a part of growing our faith and dependence on Him. Really just trying to be content with Him, because a part of my sinful habits stem from lonlieness, desiring something, or feeling I lack something/someone. I've been busy, but I need to make some time to check out that book, as it may be fitting for the season I'm in. Thank you, Shalom (Peace and Blessings)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I've had a long career dealing with many different people, nationalities, races and beliefs. In all of the places I traveled to, I frequently encountered some evil people who were out to take advantage of me and the company I worked for. However, with a few exceptions, I also encountered some truly kind people who were motivated to help me and others, primarily out of sheer kindness. Evil people often conceal their motivations with false kindness but in time their actions betray them. There is goodness in the world, you need only be open to finding it.

Mara is back and Keli like this.