1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth abstaining from orgasms entirely if I plan on living a rather monastic lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by PRN-ADKT, Nov 3, 2018.

1. PRN-ADKT

PRN-ADKT Fapstronaut

Or should I just limit my frequency to the times I genuinely feel horny? In other words, not as an escape, but as a way of getting it out of my system, so I can focus on the present and make it easier to remain in a meditative state.

Meditation Monk likes this.
  2. MusicMakingMonk

MusicMakingMonk Fapstronaut

If it needs to get out of the system, it will do this by itself.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. PRN-ADKT

PRN-ADKT Fapstronaut

This has not been true in my experience. I've gone up to 55 days without ejaculating, and all the while I had an uncomfortable "full" feeling in my groin area. Plenty of nighttime erections and precum, but I never had any actual wet dreams. Perhaps I need to go longer, I don't know...
    Regardless, the problem is that it becomes very difficult to silence the ego and focus on the present moment when my body is screaming for a release.

4. countitjoy5

countitjoy5 Fapstronaut

"Getting it out of the system" as you say is the problem. You have a belief that when desire becomes intense you can't focus or maintain and become obsessed. But that is a false belief that is causing most of the problem.

When you want to give into the almighty orgasm is when you need to buckle down and weaken the habit by saying, NO! You don't need orgasm in your life unless you plan to make babies and/or bond with wifey. Even then it's not an obsession.

If you are going to be monastic (heaven forbid why?), you need to be able to control your sexual energies. That is what NOFAP is all about - getting control of yourself and channeling your sexual energy to a higher end. Your purpose is not orgasm.

5. PRN-ADKT

PRN-ADKT Fapstronaut

I agree that I don't absolutely need an orgasm, but by suppressing that urge, I can't help but feel disconnected from my body.
    When every fiber of my being is screaming for a release, but I control myself through sheer power of will, I feel like I'm no longer human.
    Lately, I've been trying to reconnect with my body by doing things more deliberately and being there in the moment. For instance, if I do something routine like taking a shower or brushing my teeth, I'll be entirely immersed in the moment without focusing on the end result. This becomes impossible when every fiber of my being is screaming for a sexual release.

Do you know any way around this?

6. MusicMakingMonk

There are ways, through meditation to move sexual energy up the spine, filling up higher chakra's, lessening the intensity, and leaving you in a higher state of awareness.
    There are 3 traditions that I know of that use these practices, Tantra and Kundalini Yoga, and Taoists monks.
    I have a little article and website that goes into tantric practices (may contain triggers though, so be warned) and a book on tao sexual energy cultivation.
    http://www.allabouttantra.info/en/english/39-sublimating-sexual-energy-for-men
    http://krishnamurti.abundanthope.or...ts-of-Love-Cultivating-Male-Sexual-Energy.pdf

There is plenty more on the internet and in books, but start here and otherwise google some stuff about sexual energy transmutation, through either tantra or kundalini yoga.
    Good luck!

PRN-ADKT likes this.
  7. MusicMakingMonk

What an ignorant statement. If you have nothing meaningfull to contribute to threads like this just stay out of them.

8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Serious question though, is fear involved in any of this?

9. MusicMakingMonk

Could be.
    Could also be that a lot of people, myself somewhat included are sick and tired of the rat's race that is modern society, the attachment to material and fleeting things like sex, drugs and endless entertainment, and want to see if there is anything beyond that. And living monasticly, is a simple way of seeing if there is.
    It's one thing to be afraid of pussy and say well I'm just going to be celibate and I won't let my interests hover towards women. It's a different game to live without any attachment to desire, and living a life focused on spirituality and nothing else.

Nekkhamma and PRN-ADKT like this.
  10. Nekkhamma

Nekkhamma Fapstronaut

Thanks everyone for your thoughts here. Good questions, good stuff. In my experience, the time that I've spent in a monastic community has been some of the most valuable time spent in my life. It absolutely helps to have others practicing celibacy; sexual urges almost become a non-issue after awhile. And, hopefully the energy goes into the meditation practice, if one's time and intentions are used and pointed in a skillful way, towards more ease, and acceptance of the ups and downs of the mind, learning to ride the waves of all of our mind states, from anger to boredom to desire to confusion to doubt to joy and happiness to peace, just watching the whole show. And also seeing how many times the mind still gets caught up in pointless bullshit, even in a monastery! But, overall the mind tends to calm down and actually enjoy quiet, enjoy peace, enjoy nature, enjoy simple pleasures and see the value in simplicity. These things are hard to value when we are caught up in the busyness of life always bouncing from one thing to the next without slowing down. And I think there's always going to be some fear mixed in there, but in a healthy community these things will need to be seen for what they are and dealt with anyway. Wherever you go, there you are! No escape--shit! Good news is that it's possible to change.

Unplugging from materialistic society is not for everyone, but for those with inclinations towards meditation and periods of celibacy, I would highly recommend retreats and/or staying in a monastery for a time.

As far as releasing, I understand the feeling of wanting to release the energy; in my experience, when I exercise or play guitar or meditate or or connect on Nofap or whatever instead, I find that pouring my energy into constructive activities has a better result than jerking off. But, we have some long held beliefs about things and some long held habits, these are hard to break. This addiction is a tricky bugger, but I'm so grateful for the discussions and encouragement on here. All the best to all of you, this is a struggle against the current of really intense pleasure and for some of us redirecting this energy towards spiritual practice, but we can do this together, and the conviction is growing that this is such a valuable thing, whether one is practicing celibacy or healthy masturbation or in a relationship. Good luck rebooters!

PRN-ADKT and Deleted Account like this.
  11. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

If you find this useful, then, wish you the best. I use my own technique for it. I call it my bookwormish style.

Nekkhamma likes this.
  12. countitjoy5

countitjoy5 Fapstronaut

I don't see it as suppression. It's like making a plot of land fertile that is covered in thorns, briers and dense weeds. You have to conquer your passions before you can have a fruitful life. Every fiber of your being wants sexual release? What if every fiber of your being wanted to control your sexual desire to a purposeful end, then what?

Nekkhamma likes this.
  13. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

The link describes raising sexual energy to the head.

In a book, I think this same one you linked, that comes with the warning that after the energy rises to the head, it should be lowered down to the abdomen, or else there may be some unpleasant side effects.

14. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

Could you please give more details ? I don't know what you are talking about.

15. Bboy

Bboy Fapstronaut

I love this discussion! I have long wanted to live the life of a monk and after a few months the sexual urges become so strong that it does “seem” like they need to be released. I very rarely have wet dreams that bring about orgasm.

I think the longest I have gone is 6 months. When I meditate regularly it does seem easier and maybe if I go further than a few months it will get easier but so far it does seem very difficult indeed.

Also, I think not having anyone to talk to makes it difficult as most guys think it’s crazy to try to be celibate. Even comments by other Fapstronauts here reveal the programming of how people think sex is a necessary activity.

Wishing you success on the path!

PRN-ADKT likes this.
  16. countitjoy5

countitjoy5 Fapstronaut

the "seem" is just an illusion. I started FAP at about 20 and got saved at 26 - the Lord gave me a 4.5 year period where I didn't have any desire for PMO and I relapsed in 2007 and have been battling on and off since then. During that period the urges vanished from what I can remember.

17. Bboy

Bboy Fapstronaut

How often did you have wet dreams during that time period? From what I have heard most guys will have nocturnal emissions 1-2 time a month if they are not sexually active. In my Case I will go
    Months without that happening.

18. countitjoy5

countitjoy5 Fapstronaut

not very often, it was rare

19. Yes. If you wanna do this, you can do it.

Nekkhamma likes this.