1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Internet addiction.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by vik17, Apr 16, 2015.

1. vik17

vik17 Fapstronaut

I spent close to five hours a day online and this has to change. Can you please give me some advice on how to do that? I need to get more productive asap. I am unable to complete some of my goals (with girls, education, sports, etc,...) because I spend time at home online. Thanks.

2. Kurapika

Kurapika Guest

@vik17 I have good experience with this as I managed to quit internet addiction.
    I will make the assumption that you mainly suffer from social media addiction. I have tried a lot of things but the only thing that worked for me is to permanently delete my accounts. Most social websites will require about 14 days to delete your account after you ask them to provided that you don't log in during this 14 days or your request will be cancelled. To control yourself not log in during this period , I highly recommend you change your password into a random long one you write on a paper then cut this paper into pieces and throw it in rubbish. You should also do the same with the email you use for the social site as you can recover your password through it ( If it's your main email , it doesn't matter , just make another email and give it to the people you want).I know this may seem as an extreme solution but this is what worked for me.Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
    rogue shane likes this.
  3. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

You can ask all the advice on the world but it boils down to a simple solution: Stop being a pussy and do it. Oh yea and I want to add that the above post's strategy is correct. I've just sold my last online gaming acc at cheap price just because I want to get rid of it for good. Make a commitment and get rid of everything that might "relapse" you back the harder it is to get back to what you are addicted is the more discouraged you will be.

4. Mister_Chamomile

Mister_Chamomile Fapstronaut

Slowly build habits thatdon't involve computers/phone. Go outside. Hike, jog, swim, clean your room etc. Keep a journal of all this. See a therapist.

5. vik17

vik17 Fapstronaut

Thanks to everyone. I will make use of your advice. I have already removed certain social media apps from my phone. For instance, I have not used vine and instagram for a few days now. I am trying to reduce my youtube and facebook use. I cannot remove these because I need them for professional reasons. I will leave my house right away and do some productive stuff.

6. vik17

vik17 Fapstronaut

Plus I'll stop being a pussy. Lol. Thanks a lot friends.

7. Fight with honor

Fight with honor Fapstronaut

I am currently battling internet addiction and will share with you a few things I have found useful.

1) Try to plan a certain time during the day for internet use such as one hour. Anything you want to look up online, yow write it down on a to do list and wait until this period.
    2) I find that when the PC is offline I miss the sound of the cpu, it is comforting and blocks out noise (traffic, people talking etc). Instead I play some peaceful music such as ambiance or nature on an mp3 player.
    3) Use Leechblock to block/limit use of certain websites.

Hope this helps

8. trying_my_best

trying_my_best Fapstronaut

At the moment I am trying to alter PMO habits, but I recognise that I probably have a more general internet addiction issue too. I tried to declare (just to myself) that today was going to be an internet free day. Didn't last it out though. Spent about half an hour checking messages and stuff in the afternoon, which was ok, I didn't let myself stay on too long and went out. But now I've spent the evening online - much of it on nofap. At least it's better than PMO though.

9. vik17

vik17 Fapstronaut

lol. I also tried that internet free thing. This is impossible for me considering my lifestyle. I am currently changing the latter completely. Technology is too important for me.

10. vik17

vik17 Fapstronaut

Thanks. My current technique is to leave the house for long hours. Today I went to a park. Tomorrow I'm thi king of going to a mall. I am also listening to audiobooks. Rather than going online, I just play it, place my phone next to my bed and lie down while listening. I listen to self development ones. You could try that.

11. trying_my_best

trying_my_best Fapstronaut

I have sometimes tried devising a whole timetable, hour by hour, for the whole week, allocating time to a dozen or so categories of activity. Things like cooking/eating, work, socializing, internet, shopping and household chores. Then I draw it up as a table, and put a clear acetate sheet over it which I can write on with marker pen to show what I actually did. I don't expect to stick to the timetable rigidly, but even just the process of deciding how many hours you want to spend on an activity each week, and what can realistically work is an interesting exercise. When I do that I soon discover there isn't enough hours in the week and I have to commit to reducing the hours I spend on some things (like internet) in order to do some of the other things I'd like to do more of. Then at the end of the week you can add things up and see how you went against your 'budgets' for each activity. It can be shocking. But I find even just knowing I have to write down what I do helps, like if I am on the internet while doing the timetable, I'll be more concious of watching the clock and keeping to only doing it for one hour say before turning off and doing something else.

I find it hard work sticking to the timetable thing, and I haven't been doing it lately, but I know that on the times I have been able to do it, it really did work wonders for using my time more effectively.