1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Internet Addiction (rant)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by 3nigma, Jun 26, 2023.

1. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I swear to God I've wasted several years of my life on the internet. This started all the way back with AOL. That's how long this has been going on. From there it moved to Forums (my current obsession), News, Games, Reddit, 4chan, IRC... Years of my life, gone. I haven't gained a fucking thing from the internet. Not a fucking thing. I don't know what to do anymore. It's made me fat and lazy. It certainly had a detrimental effect on my mental health. And I can't. fucking. stop. Why am I doing this to myself? I get nothing out of this. It's killing me. I have to stop. What should I do?

2. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

That’s everyone nowadays. You can stop it but you’ll be bored AF cause everyone else is on the internet.

Akira123456 and The_determined like this.
  3. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Seriously, I think the internet is stalking me. It used to be somewhat of a technical feat to connect to the internet. Now, it's everywhere. It's in my phone, it's in my car, it's in my books (Kindle), it's in the billboards I drive by everyday. It's become like a humongous, omnipresent, soul sucking vampire destroying everything I hold dear. It's like Skynet meets The Matrix meets HAL 9000 meets every other horrible sci-fi nightmare. The dystopian future is now.

4. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

I quit the internet for about four months, didn't really miss it. This coming from someone who probably spent an average of 8 hours per day on it for 15 years. All it made me realise was that I only use it to pass the time, which is sad because time is all any of us really have. When you have all this free time you will feel almost compelled to do the things you've been putting off, purely because it beats doing nothing.

5. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Right, I'm not gonna look back on my life on my deathbed and say "gee, I wish I had spent more time online." People at my funeral aren't going to be saying "He really burned that sonuvabitch president in his comments on the news." It's all meaningless. It's all a waste of time. Even this post is a waste of time. Am I having any impact on the world or my life whatsoever by posting on these stupid forums? No. Yet, I can't break free. I've gone periods of time without the internet but I always come back. It's just so fucking convenient, so cheap, at times even entertaining. But, fuck, most of the time it's just a total waste of time. I use the internet so much it's a form of self-harm and I can't stop.

6. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

I am surprised this is not talked about more. I must have wasted three or four academic degrees worth of time on the Web. It's far bigger problem than PMO which itself is extremely serious.

7. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Guys, I asked myself what it is that makes the internet so addicting to me. I think what it is is I like to read and write and share what I've written. I never got into YouTube or social media because I prefer text. So, I was thinking, how can I satisfy that urge to read, write, and share without going online? I guess what I'm gonna do is start reading and writing books. I was thinking I could write a book about what it's like to have schizoaffective disorder. A lot of people find that sort of thing fascinating: "Inside the Mind of a Psycho." Hell yeah. Still pondering it but I wanted to share.

8. Onceagain2.0

Onceagain2.0 Fapstronaut

your not the only one
    we are ALL plugged in

Elon musk says we have become cyborgs and the internet is our limbic system

Pretty much the crazy in your brain is now festering world wide ... The internet

Now we are living our lives in this prison/poison

recently saw a documentary from AI expert who says dont bring children into this AI world. dont know what to make of that tbh but lets see how bad things really get . hopefully ai will just wipe us all out except the good ones because they dont pose threat to ai

9. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

Any 'expert' who tells people not to bring children into this <whatever> world is not an expert. Anti-natalism is anti-human. These people are either part of the fifth column attempting to perform a demographic replacement in their country or 'green' fanatics who hate humanity in general.

10. Onceagain2.0

Onceagain2.0 Fapstronaut

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  11. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Elon Musk is a glorified drug addict known for manipulating the stock market and getting away with it. I was just reading in the Wall Street Journal that he takes ketamine. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

I dunno. I used to be a major AI doomer then I saw how limited it was and realized it's basically a parlor trick.

12. Shadowheart

Shadowheart Fapstronaut

Any addiction is a coping mechanism to numb emotional pain. You need to understand what you feel internally that you use the internet to escape from to effectively stop your addiction.

Thor God of Thunder likes this.