"Information is alienated experience." - Jaron Lanier

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Awedouble, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I thought this deserved a thread. Aside from the quote I just had the insight the other day of how it applies to PMO - it's basically just the basis of objectification. Since P is alienated from the actual full spectrum experience of sex, it is the visual and auditory only, that alienation becomes associated with the media consumption experience. And of course these days the media consumption is on-demand, you can just do a search and there's some clip so we come to have that on-demand expectation.

Next I think is where our tendency to "fill in the blanks" comes into play. Since the physical act of sex is not present, the act of masturbation completes that even though you're doing it to yourself rather than being engaged with another human being. And being human is of course an even deeper qualification, it's not just having another body to bump against, it's having another mind and heart to relate to, another life with all that that implies.

So whereas I might usually think fill in the blanks might come up in a misunderstanding of who said what in text communication and being unclear, I think this is another way it comes into play.