1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm so out of touch with the world.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Enki, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Enki

Enki Fapstronaut

I have gone days at a time without speaking 50 words to people. Now that I'm finished "working" all the time (and focusing on overcoming this addiction), I'm starting to realize how much I've missed out on my social life.

Can I recover? Is it possible to still catch up with the world and get better at my life? I don't know anything about keeping a strong, stable, give-and-take relationship.

What have I missed out on during these past months of pure isolation (except classes) and what have I missed out on during the years I threw away?

2. Enki

Enki Fapstronaut

What are friends? What is a real relationship and how do you maintain one? I'm glad that I'm out of the PMO fog and that I'm now THINKING about building relationships. I'm finally at step 1. I'm so behind and I have a lot to catch up on.

The funny thing is how my brain is programmed right now. I literally read "PMO fog" as "PMO the function f of g." Damn Calculus.

vibemaker and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Don't ask yourself about the mistakes, you've made in the past. You have to make little steps now. For example: Think about your interests you have in common with (many) other people. Maybe there are topic-based weekly meetings in your town. Do you have people around you can talk to?

And I mean: What do you have to lose? If there is nobody you can disappoint, you can try a lot: Either you won't see certain people anymore, or they get interested in, what you are talking about. Just be honest and feel bold to speak about problems - or, for an easy start, about the things, you are interested in.

Look at me: Weeks ago I got to know an interesting girl and just two weeks ago I was brave enough to find and contact her via facebook. Today I will meet her and: I don't know what to say and I even don't know, if she's 'that' interested in me. But I tell myself: What is the worst, that can happen besides not seeing each other anymore?

Feel free to send me a message, since I know, what you're experiencing!

vibemaker likes this.
  4. Paleblood

Paleblood Fapstronaut

The further you get into nofap, the more you figure it out. It ends up being black and white. In order to find a social life, you need to ask yourself. Who am I? Chances are you never developed much of a personality because instead of building one you were ejaculating it away. You start to build a personality through nofap. Read the book diseases caused my masturbation. It literally makes you insane. People just think your off because of your PMO habit. Accept this and move on. There will be a day when you quit masturbation. You will know when it comes. For someone who's been sober for 30 years. What did they do? They stopped one day. That's all you have to do. If you still have urges you aren't taking it seriously. You aren't using your willpower. PMO and isolation tie together. You want to be social after a while. Being social is hardwired into ours brains as a way to mate with females. When you suppress the latter you suppress the former. As you get further into nofap you will start to connect with females more than males. I believe part of male friendship is submissive and dominant. There is mutuality as well. However when deep into PMO addiction you take the submissive role. So you have to contact friends. You have to initiate relationships. This submission causes a relationship where you are used. They bring you around to feel empowered. When you are peaking with testosterone and pure willpower they will take the submissive roles. Hence why you build stronger connections with women and men get scared of you. They are scared of your dominance. Wait until your a few months in and you will start to see what I am saying. Sorry for text wall, hope this helps.

P.S. I am not a doctor, everything stated unless otherwise cited is speculation.

P.P.S. <---- PP Lmao

vibemaker and Enki like this.
  5. Enki

Enki Fapstronaut

Don't apologize. This was chock-full of value. Everything makes sense. I'm bolding the part I want to keep in mind as a reminder.

You're right though. Socializing is hardwired and it's something I need to reintroduce into my life again, and I will. This is awesome, and I want to start improving this once again. I remember how much of that is true in the social world. Now it's time to start experiencing it again. Feel the pain. Feel the fire, and get better. Yeah, I'll have to do a lot of the social legwork at first, but It'll improve with time.

vibemaker likes this.
  6. Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll Fapstronaut

LOL! :D

7. PostiveChange1974

PostiveChange1974 Fapstronaut

The only other advice I can offer is about the whole idea of 'catching up'. I struggle with the same ideas. It kind of infers that there is a defined point that while world is moving at a pace, and if you try hard enough you can absorb that, and 'possibly win'. It also infers you feel less for not being 'caught up'. All of that is a bit of false assumption.

It's important to realize that there are only things you value and want to make priorities. You're not more or less valuable by what milestone in your path you might be, or how your milestones compare to others. You control your path, as things become more or less important. You are a worthy valuable human being, but that means you will never be able to know it all, or be it all, but instead learn to enjoy the effort that goes with trying. To do that, It is important that you gain faith by practicing skills of being open to change, and doing what is important when you have to or because you want it. With that you should only judge yourself by whether you are trying or not, and it requires you honestly to be able to recognize whether your priority is a reachable goal with real meaning in your life, or if is engaging magical thinking (Magic: "If I could only be this, or do this, I would be so much 'better', women would crave me, men would envy me, and I would be 'happy'" vs Real Goal: "If i could learn this I might be able to get a better job paying $20k more" or "If I learn this language, I could talk with my neighbors better, and I would feel more comfortable travailing to that country like I want to")

I offer that, because when you approach socializing, it is something that you should not do with a goal, or measure your success by the people. You can't force people to connect with you. You can learn how to try, and be more open to communicating with them. Experience will teach you more confidence to do this with even more people. Still connections aren't something that can be forced. Sometimes, where you go just doesn't have your people. That's not a racist, sexist, or elitist remark, but instead, you have to realize what kind of people share your common interests, and where they might be gathering. (I'm not a sport enthusiast. In truth, I know very little about any sport because of it. While I'm a guy, and enjoy the company of guys, I wouldn't be very effective finding friends by frequenting a sports bar, and striking up conversations with people during games/matches. This is because I would be falsely forcing myself to embrace their interests in attempt force a connection). Other times, you just don't connect with the person, despite optimal circumstances. It's not a judgement or rejection of that person, but instead a lack of feeling which is perfectly normal to accept. (I'm host a board game group. While many of the people I meet are fun, intelligent, interesting, and have similar nerdy interests (Marvel & DC), there are still some that 'I couldn't get a read on', conversation never seemed to get past the basics, or even if we do, I or they can't seem to prioritize when we might get together (not playing games). That is not me thinking less of them, and they didn't reject me (they still come back next game session), but I can't let that drive a feeling of failure.)