1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a theological blank slate (almost)

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. I used to have an idea where I stood on theological matters. But now I don't. When I previously read the new testament I thought that the word "law" always meant the same thing, that it was referring to the law of Moses. But since a few months back I have understood that there is a law of Christ that we are to obey, and that the law of Moses is fulfilled, completed, so there is no point in adding to that, it is completed like a finished house. Why build it again? So when I evaluated other denominations I did so in light of how obedient to the law they where. I saw that as the fruit of a solid faith(not as a matter of salvation of course). But now I have no idea how I am supposed to find a denomination for me when that is not the criteria anymore.

I used to have one foot in the church of equmenia(merge of baptists, methodists and the mission church). And one foot in a small group who where trying to keep the law of Moses in a matter of obedience. I did feel a bit uneasy in the latter group, they had some strange practices that I was sceptical towards. But now I don't relate to the latter group at all. I am however still a part of the equmenia church, and I plan to stay there because that church is in a bad place and needs help.

And that brings me to my next point, the equmenia church that I am attending feels very empty and is bringing me almost no spiritual nourishment, because of various issues. So I feel the need for finding some other group or church, that I can go to for nourishment, for good teaching and fellowship. And there are a few churches in my area to chose from. One is a Baptist church, one is a conservative protestant church who hold to traditional protestant views. And the last one I consider is a catholic church.

I think the Baptists have a low view of the sacraments, so I am not sure about that, yet Baptists are not far from my church tradition, so that would make them a comfortable group to fellowship with. But I don't know if that is a good criteria.

I have looked into the website of the protestant church, known as missionsprovinsen (The mission province). And they are very upfront with their beliefs which I appreciate. They seem kind of Lutheran. This is their webiste: https://missionsprovinsen.se/ (In Swedish, but google might translate it for you).

And the catholic church is bit harder for me to understand. Their website seems to assume you understand a lot of things about catholicism, which I do not. Yet I long for fellowshipping with people who take faith seriously, and if I can find that in the catholic church, then I won't mind fellowshipping with them. But do have some questions about their website, there is imagery of saints (which I don't mind), but I don't see Jesus. And Mary is on the front page, and she is fantastic, but why is not Jesus on the front page? That prioritzement is a bit off-putting for me. But in general there are many things I like about Catholicism. So I guess @CPilot has the opportunity to turn me Catholic. I should ask you Cpilot, why are you Catholic?

I wrote this simply to allow others to comment on what is going on in my mind, I don't want to think only for myself. I plan to stay in the equmenia church, simply because I have built my life there, and that church needs help. But my soul is screaming for something more. So I would like to have a foot in another church as well. A sincere church.

Vicit_fidem likes this.
  2. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I am happy to converse with you about these things but I want to be careful not to diminish anyone's faith in Christ by falling into a debate about one denomination VS another. Please DM me if you would like to learn about the belief and the practices of the Catholic faith.

I hope I can say the following without creating a debate about one church VS another. Please everyone, I don't wish to do that. Let me say that I think everyone must find the Christian faith which brings them the closest to Our Blessed Lord. God will take it from there.

I will testify that my faith is based on both intellectual understanding and emotional comfort. In other words, I believe the teachings of the Catholic church and I also find great comfort in practicing my faith. I can recall many low points in my life, where things seemed very desperate, and in each case I received amazing help while frequently praying the rosary, attending mass every Sunday and partaking in the blessed sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion. No matter where I go, and I have had to travel around the globe extensively due to work, I can usually find a Roman Catholic church, where I can attend a mass (conducted almost identically the same, despite language differences) and I can find peace and help that way. I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea but it is mine.

My wife and my mother were raised as Protestants, Baptist and Methodist. My wife's family were great southern gospel singers who were regularly invited to many different protestant churches to sing. My wife has always been a very religious person (as a child no one could beat her in a contest of "how many bible verses can you recite"). In my wife words, when she first stepped into a Catholic church she suddenly felt at home. She converted to the faith over 40 years ago and her musical talents have graced many a Catholic parish (LOL, generally we Catholics are not known for our music). My mother also became a devout Catholic when she married my father. It is often said that converts are the most fervent Catholics.

Nevertheless, my grandmother (mother's mother) was a lovely and kind person. She practiced her Methodist faith until she died. I cannot believe that she is anywhere other than heaven.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Vicit_fidem and SwedishViking like this.
  3. Thank you for the reply! I do like Catholicism so I think I will send you some questions that I have not found satisfying answers to online. And I am not interested in debating either. Firstly, I have found that I greatly appreciate many expressions of the Christian faith so I don't want to disrespect that. And secondly, we can only act on what information we have and what makes sense to us. So knowing that, it is hard to be combative about different denominations. And thirdly, I have been very mistaken before, so maybe I should take it easy and think things through before I jump to theological conclusions.

Tao Jones likes this.
  4. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

I would pick the church that is following Christ and trying to do His will (the most). All of your choices are sometimes dynamic, and sometimes... not so much. Try them and see who is alive and vibrant.

5. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

My only qualification to this is that one must use the intellect God gave us as well as our emotions. Remember, no where in the Bible does it say, if it feels good do it. One might feel moved after a good sermon or a rousing hymn but there is more to faith than emotion alone. We must care for our hearts while also using our ability to question and understand.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  6. Yes, I agree. I think we need to use both intellect and emotion, and that I should try the churches I mentioned. On a pure emotional basis, I feel a draw towards Catholicism, but I will not embrace it unless I can make sense of it intellectually. But then to be fair, I can't fully make sense of Protestantism either, there is no branch of Protestantism that I think make complete sense. There is always something that troubles me, like Calvinism, or not taking Communion and Baptism seriously, or having a view of works and faith that leaves you with more questions than answers. So I want to explore Catholicism to see if it makes sense.

Tao Jones likes this.
  7. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

You are on a good path. I expect everyone with devout faith has had times of question. Fortunately, through prayer, God shows us the way.

SwedishViking and Tao Jones like this.