"If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge."

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Awedouble, May 21, 2020.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Remembering that line from Pi by Darren Aronofsky gave me the idea of doing this for uncovering reboot patterns. It seems like the typical estimate of days X you hit flatline and the like is more of a linear understanding. What if people who relapse a lot or regularly kept a precise record of it? I guess it would be too much to have people track manually, and do a subjective estimate of the strength of the urge and so forth, but imagine someone who does track just time of day, and duration of edging and so forth - and it's plotted on a graph. Wouldn't that information be useful? If it's in the form of a wave, it may be predictable to see where you are heading and prepare.

And as I head over to the Off-topic section I see there are a few posts on math..

2. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

In case it's not obvious, that means people who relapse you can contribute something very valuable: your data.

And - if you have some kind of monitoring software a lot is automatically recorded.

3. @Awedouble I have recently seen some graphs like that. Well it was the frequency and the "probability of a reset" and more but not about intensity and duration ..
    look here
    and here

Awedouble likes this.
  4. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Good to see someone is putting that together. What I had in mind is to map out a predictable cycle. Whether it's on a daily basis or a longer period, if we had something like a sine wave for example, and if you compare your situation now with a similar time in the past and have data from that, then you would have an idea as to what you can expect. If urges are really low, look and see how long that lasted last time etc. If it's on the way up, you can anticipate that and it may be the time to try new things that are at least in principle helpful instead of doing everything pretty much the same, some kind of support.

icebreaker polarstern likes this.