1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I think movies or entertainment in general are just fan service

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Kman20, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I was reaching scenes of some kf my favorite movies earlier and some of these movies are more than a decade old but I still think they’re better than the movies and tv shows nowadays.

What I feel the distinct difference was the reason why these forms of entertainment were being produced. Back then creating entertainment was art, it was an autonomous or educational experience for both the viewers and the creators of movies/tv shows/games. I think that is the main reason these old movies were so great.

Nowadays the main reason things are being produced are for money. They’re cash grabbers are just fan service so they lack sincerity. They’re being made to appease people not for self expression born from the creators. That’s why I think they suck, they feel so superficial. Look at all these remakes and reboots, same shit but with advanced technology added on to it. There’s no heart, just added novelty, so it feels shallow. Like a pretty girl without and essence. As opposed to the decent looking girl with so much sincerity to her.

If anyone knows of the ip man series it is a perfect example (it’s on netflix if you haven’t seen it yet, a kung fu movie). The first movie came out in 08 and it was amazing as well as it’s sequel. It was telling an exaggerated story of Chinese history. There was so much emotion and hard work and thought put behind this movie that is why I believe part one is the best and fans of the series would have to agree. Part three came out a few years ago and it was terrible. It was such a clear money grab and fan service, they even added mike tyson in there to attract viewers. But the overall substance of the movie was so lackluster compared to it’s predecessors. Now they just made a part four and they’re so obviously pushing it.

I’m rambling but my point is a lot of entertainment is lacking authenticity of creation and that’s why I think a lot of movies/tv shows suck nowadays because they’re purely fan service. They aren’t being made for expression they’re being made to appease viewers and so you aren’t exactly seeing a story unfold but what people think they want you to see unfold. Imagine dating someone that said and did everything that they THOUGHT that you wanted. This person will feel incredibly superficial and bland. They wouldn’t be genuine or expressing themselves honestly. And thus they would be lackluster. Just like media nowadays in my opinion. I could talk about video games too but for the sake of keeping people’s attention I’ll stop it here. Rant OVER.

2. Harry Pottery

Harry Pottery Fapstronaut

IMO, the intent was always money. Back in the day, art sold well. Nowadays nostalgia sells well.

3. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Yes, money has always been there. The thing is that creators put more effort in the things they were doing.
    Look at Star Wars: Battlefront II(PS2/PC) and Star Wars: Battlefront II(I don't care), same franchise, same idea, same genre, but latter one had no effort put into it, or at least not the kind of effort that's worth it.

Deleted Account and Kman20 like this.
  4. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

Yesss the effort and HEART isn’t in it. (Loved the old battlefront btw)

Kingdom hearts is my favorite game franchise and I was so excited for part three to come out since it’s been more than a decade since part two came out. But it turned out to be pretty lackluster and a disappointment, which is incredibly sad in it of itself because of all the hype built around this game. KH 1 & 2 were more than just games to people, as a kid I remember having to force myself to get off of my ps2 because I had to sleep for school. Now with part 3 I find myself having to force myself to finish the game. The irony is sad. I wish people cared and were more genuine instead of greedy nowadays. It may have always been about money but it wasn’t as much as a focus as it is now back then. I miss it.

5. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Take the Konami and Hideo Kojima situation some years back. They preffered doing mobile games with micro-transactions than to keep giving Kojima funds to finish Metal Gear Solid V and start the real development of Silent Hills. There is just no shame, to be honest the only ones that care about what they do are the indie developers.