1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel ungrateful for desiring friends/a relationship

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

I'm really working on being content with where I am, denying myself and my desires. The Most High has blessed me in many ways, and I should be grateful for what He has done, and not think about what I think I lack. It's been going well, with my relationship with The Most High becoming stronger, and having Him put life into perspective: That we're here to serve Him, all else is vanity. Lately, though, I've been experiencing an onslaught of spiritual attacks. I feel so lonely at times, so much so, it's like a thorn in my side. I read the Scriptures daily, make sure I help others and honor my parents by helping them, and work hard. I try to cast this feeling down, but it just doesn't go away and makes me really sad at times. The thing is, another part of me really just wants to self-isolate because of how vexed I am at the state of the world, and how my new outlook really shows me there are very few truly important things in life. I'll stay on prayer, seems that as soon as my relationship with Him gets strong, the more isolated and lonely I feel, the attacks are increasing. If you made it to the end of this thought dump, Thank you

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  2. Why are you so lonely? What feelings are you trying to "cast down" that doesn't go away? What is your "new outlook"? Why are you so vexed "at the state of the world"? As you get closer to the Lord, you end up more isolated and lonely? Why?

@SirQwerty, there is something about your posts that seem vague. Like there's a piece of the puzzle I don't understand.

Do you have any relationships with other people? Friends? That sort of thing? Are your parents friends to you, or co-workers, or fellow students, or people at church? I get a sense that you are imposing an unbiblical standard for loneliness upon yourself that isn't something God necessarily requires or wants for you.

3. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

I'll be glad to clear some things up :) I know this may be long, but I hope this helps a bit.

Home
    I live with my mother, it's just me and her, father left and has been gone most of my life. My grandparents (her parents) are close too, and they raised me as well, so I have a strong relationship with family though it's small.

I do a lot of work around the house to help my mother, and since we moved, we're setting things up and my responsibilites have increased. My grandfather helps sometimes, but there's lot of yardwork and small installations I have to do, and I don't want her to have to pay anyone else to do it. I like working and getting things done, it's rewarding. Working has become an escape and "hobby" for me.

In this situation, I somewhat feel misunderstood at times because my mom wants to get a lot done, and her mind is always on the next thing/controlling how things look. Sometimes I try to talk to her about something and she'll not really acknowledge what I said and respond by asking me to get something for her or to do something (not in a toxic way, I just know she has a lot on her mind). And granted, I'm a young man, so it can feel like she's nagging sometimes, but I respect and obey because I'm in her house.

School
    I'm in my second year of college, and I've always been a hard worker. Peopel have always respected me, but I've never had friends in school, and college is not very different, except people want to be around me because of how I can help them academically. I thought this one girl genuinely wanted to get close to me, but she just used me for company, and moved on to the next person while she still uses me for help in class. I was in a Bible study group, but it was dissolved, and most faith-based groups are cliques or teach some sort of false doctrine.
    People always say I'm like and old man haha, and many students I come across are immature, so I just take my classes and learn, help others, and go home.

Work
    I'm blessed to be working for my city government in the planning department, and am getting a lot of experience. I Work with a lot of great people, but they are all 2x and 3x my age, so the relationships are really nothing beyond work. This also disconnects me from school a bit because I'm getting professional experience, and am just ready to live adult life fully.

Fellowship
    Most of my fruitful interaction occurs in online Bible groups. I enjoy the people, and they're the only group of people that actually energize me while I'm around them. Problem is that it's online and I don't like staring at my phone screen, but I'm grateful nonetheless. Recently they met up in person and invited me, but I couldn't go because I had homework, house work to help with, and meetings at my job, wich sort of made me feel trapped in my routine.

I'm toughing things out and am really busy, I'm mostly sad and lonely at night when I have time to think about it. I'm trying to cast down these feelings because I'm never alone with God, and I should be content. It could always be worse and I need to be grateful (Psalm 23:1).

I'm not one to compromise myself to fit in, and I just can't really find people who get me, and likewise people who I can understand. I try to be there for others, but most aren't there for me. But it is what it is, I'll continue to treat others the way I want to be treated.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Wilderness Wanderer likes this.
  4. Don't give up on meeting your online group in-person after just one failed connection. Make a second meet up happen! We are social creatures, and God himself has said it is not good for us to be alone. We need to learn contentment in him alone, yes; but we also need one another. He made us to need both the Head and the Body! Keep praying for in-person connection; he will provide!

5. Some further questions I would ask:

It is right to want to honor and respect your mother. Is it possible that her demands on you are unrealistic and appropriate? Or perhaps, since you've recently moved, there is just more up-front work to do and it will naturally become less in time. I do not know that it is your case, I am merely suggesting it as a possibility: some parents take advantage of their children and use them in inappropriate ways. Your mother's authority over you is not absolute. She may be smothering you. She may have replaced her need for a husband with you. To answer this question, it would be wisest to have a neutral third party or friend help you evaluate. This would make you feel lonely because as a young man, this would not, of course, be the sort of relationship you want with your mother and you may not even realize it's happening. My mother smothered me.

If the students at your school are immature, well, does this mean you would never make a friend with someone who is more immature than you? All of them are immature? Are you really more mature than them, or is there some other dynamic at work that makes you want to remain separate from them? You speak of cliques and false doctrine. Maybe that's going on and a legitimate reason to avoid these people. You may also be prematurely judging them as an excuse to continue as a loner. Again, I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just brainstorming. You said you feel intensely lonely. Is it really that they're too immature for you to tolerate them? Or is there some other dynamic going on that you haven't yet realized? Also, I get the whole "being used by a girl" for academic or other purposes in college. I was the victim of that in a shocking and remarkable way and it left a scar on my soul for 25 years. But on the flip side, there are folks I am good friends with today from college all those long years ago. People change. People mature. People's theology change, too.

So the people you work with are 2x or 3x your age. Is that a reason not to get to know them? Hogwash! Older people may have more experience and wisdom and be itching to share that wisdom with someone. You can make a friend with someone two or three times your age. Why not? Don't buy into the relatively modern idea of "youth culture" and generational divides. If there's an older man you respect at work, ask him to go out for breakfast or lunch and ask him about his life.

So you don't have a church you're attending? Why are you using "online Bible groups"? How do you even find these online Bible groups? I'm not saying an online study is wrong. But man, you need human connection. You've made a lot of excuses and justifications to avoid or deny human connection (too immature, too old, bad doctrine, cliques, your overbearing routine). Start prioritizing real human connection that isn't mediated over a screen. If your schedule is too full (again, I think of your mother--though, admittedly, working while you're in college is just going to take a ton of your time to begin with), try to find time for "self-care": namely, for the human connection that your body and soul are crying out for. Why deny yourself what God has created you to need?

SirQwerty likes this.
  6. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

Thank you, I think I will propose another meet up. I really appreciate your response, Peace and Blessings.

I'v never thought of it but it kind of adds up to what I've been experiencing for the past few years. We've been in our house for 3 years now, so I will definitely pray on this.

You've given me a lot to think about, in a very good way! I'll definitely start working towards changing my perspective and making improvements. Lots of previous experiences cloud my judgement and make me want to avoid people. I really appreciate your response, thank you. Peace and Blessings

Wilderness Wanderer likes this.
  7. Thanks for the laugh this morning, friend. :)

Tao Jones likes this.