1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I am a hoarder and it's stressing me out

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BravelyKegger, Nov 5, 2023.

1. I own so many items that I do not have room for and it's stressing me out. I have always had a hard time getting rid of things; my mind tries telling me I need to keep everything and it will be of use on day, or because of the sentimental value it may hold. I am overwhelmed by it all honestly and sometimes wish I owned nothing at all.

Macoy likes this.
  2. HealingBodyandMind

HealingBodyandMind Fapstronaut

Maybe at least pack it all up in boxes and store the boxes in a closet or corner of your house, so at least you have space to move around

Macoy likes this.
  3. Well the big issue is I live onboard a ship so space is limited and I have few chances to send stuff home.

Macoy likes this.
  4. Try going through your stuff and maybe set-up an experiation date system for the clutter. For example, if you know you've had something for three years but have never used it, then make three years the expiration date. Everything that is not three years old, keep. If the hoarding is really bad, then I would probably seek out professional mental help since some type of truama could be the source of the behavoir.

Oh, well, if you live on a ship then you're going to be living in tight quarters to begin with, so I don't know if you would be considered a hoarder. Most ships, due to size limitations, require crew to be minamlist to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2023
    Mara is back likes this.
  5. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

I’m the opposite. My apartment is practically empty. I am a minimalist and hate partaking in consumerism. I save like crazy just so I can have Fuck you money and feel comfort in knowing I can leave my job if shit hits the fan and I can chill without working for several months. It’s the only reason I save. I don’t save for any material items. I just don’t care for it…

I never grew an attachment to any “sentimental” things and would care less if everything I owned right now just disappeared excluding my car of course. Everything else I can replace fairly quick and easy.

500 likes this.
  6. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

I understand you
    I agree. If there is very little space, the amount of stuff can seem bigger than what really it is

Anyway, you can be interested in reading the book Buried in Treasures, but I don't remember the authors right now

Update: Authors: David Tolin, Randy O. Frost, Gail Steketee, second edition 2013

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
  7. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

I forgot to mention it's a CBT-based book intended for helping people with hoarding problems

8. fbridge

fbridge Fapstronaut

Look up the KonMarie method