1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make amends with your ex-bestfriend.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SolitaryScribe, Aug 27, 2018.

1. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

It's been about a year since I've lost connections with one of my best friends. The situation was very messy and I ended up hurting him pretty bad. I was in the wrong here. We haven't spoken since September of last year.

I'm not moving to a completely different city and I feel like I need to amend this friendship or at least have him forgive me. I've already apologized to him back when every thing went sour.

Have any of you guys been through a similar situation and how have you amended that friendship? any advice would be appreciated

2. If it were me, I would resch out through social media and apologize and just leave it at that. That gives them time to process on their own, unlike a face to face conversation or a phone call. And if they never respond... well, you can't control other people, you can only control yourself. So if you've apologized and gotten your thoughts out there, that's all you can do. I think you need to be able to let go of needing him to forgive you. He might not, and you have no control over that, so just do your part and accept that, even if he doesn't respond.

Good luck.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  3. Have you tried contacting him? Or have you avoided each other ever since?

4. If you’ve apologized and contact was lost then you should respect his choice to let this happen. Right now it sounds more like you want forgiveness for your own piece of mind instead for his benefit. I was in a messy situation with a friend a year ago who was in the wrong. I received an apology but I chose to not respond. I’ve forgiven the person in my heart but I also decided I wanted nothing to do with this person ever again and that no communication was the only way to go about that. I also did this because I felt the persons apology wasn’t genuine and that all they wanted was my forgiveness so they could have the piece of mind to move on without a guilty conscience.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2018
  5. SolitaryScribe

I would have to agree with you. At times I feel like I'm really only looking for peace of mind. It doesn't benefit him in the slightest. I just feel terrible for things to end like this. I wouldn't even mind if he forgave me but didn't want to be my friend anymore. I just don't want there to be any bitterness there and to move on with life. I think if I weren't moving so far away I wouldn't care as much because in my mind there will always be a chance to make amends. However considering my time here is limited, if I don't do it now it will never happen.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. SolitaryScribe

The only time I contacted him was when I apologized after everything went down. That was about a year ago.

7. Communication is a two way street. I know you want this but if you’ve apologized then you’ve done what you could. Plus what good is opening up an old wound going to do? I assume your buddy has your contact information or at least knows of ways to contact you. If he’s ready to be friends again then he’ll do it. That is the joy about being best friends with someone; no matter how much time has passed you resume as of its been no time at all.

I say move forward and give it to God.