1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get over fear of injury in the gym?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by rob13_, Oct 23, 2023.

1. rob13_

rob13_ Fapstronaut

Hi, one of my goals is to become consistent at the gym, but something is holding me back. I have this fear of doing the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, etc because I don't want to get injured. Have any of you had this fear, and how did you get over it?

2. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Start with lifting a weight that's comfortable for you. For example, if you know that you can lift 50 lbs, start with 40 lbs until you get your confidence up. Make progress slowly like that.

3. born3

born3 Fapstronaut

Get your technique really good. The way it works at a proper lifting gym is you will be training with a broom handle until you have technique spot on. Learn as much as you can about the lifts and put it into practice.

4. Bretto

Bretto Fapstronaut

If you read or listen to audiobooks try Starting Strength by Mark Riptoe. There's SO many YouTube videos that usually contradict one another so if you go down that route I'd suggest someone reputable that has decades of lifting experience.

As said above start light, warm up, use correct form and be consistent.

5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

Why do you need to do big lifts? Is it truly vital to your existence?

6. Never ego lift or give into peer pressure; study good form and ask for advice at the gym if needed.

Icewarrior likes this.