how much do you sleep on average?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lions, Aug 8, 2017.

how much on average do you sleep?

1. 3 hours

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. 4 hours

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. 5 hours

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. 6 hours

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. 7 hours

23 vote(s)
    35.4%
  6. 8 hours

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. 9 hours

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. 10 hours

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. 11 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 12+ hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I average 7 but it's not in one go. As a carer I wind up with four during the night and three in the afternoon.

Lions likes this.
  2. Lions

Lions Fapstronaut

I've noticed lately that mostly I feel more energized with only 6 hours of sleep , in comparison of 8. Heck , the best I felt was when I was up after 6 hours.

3. I'm honestly not sure for me, I never have a normal sleep and my bed is rubbish, so I have no idea how much I should sleep. Like I'm walking into an early grave for what I do for sure, last week I stayed up 36 hours before going to bed and obviously that's not good at all. The other problem with going to bed even later is that the earlier hours start to feel too short as well.

Humans are fickle, not even doctors and sleep experts seem to know how much sleep we need. :D

pezzer and Lions like this.
  4. eagerUser

eagerUser Fapstronaut

6 hours on average. That's enough to refresh me.

Lions likes this.
  5. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Asking how many hours you sleep is like asking how much someone weighs, it doesn't tell you how much body fat just like you don't necessarily know the quality of sleep.

I've had anywhere near under 7 to 9 in the last 11 days and it turns out an exact average of 8 hours not counting this morning, without relying on an alarm to wake up. I can see what I did differently and what may account for more or less.

And of course people completely ignore other factors like WHEN you sleep and the light exposure and just throw their hands up in the air like we are helpless against this big mystery - this is just not true but the reality is people do not put in the effort because they either don't realize there are things they can do or they don't feel it's important enough.

I'll bet there are other addicts that could quit a lot easier (or just could, period) if they overhauled their sleep. Some people have a hard time and some people have genuine challenges, like trauma and on some level they are afraid to go to sleep.

Here's an interesting bit from the book Sleep Smarter, unfortunately I don't think people necessarily know they are tired and wired if they are always like that. Of course, things like always pounding coffee or energy drinks might be a clue:

Alan Christianson, NMD New York Times bestselling author and writer of The Adrenal Reset Diet, wonderfully states that "Cortisol is an adrenal hormone that manages your body's daily rhythm. Think of it as your built-in coffeepot. You wake up in the morning because your adrenals just made a resh batch of it. You fall asleep at night because they shut it off."

Cortisol is essential to your circadian timing system for sleep.

Some of us have peaks of cortisol when it should be low, and low cortisol when it should be peaked. Tired and wired aptly describes this person.

Lions likes this.
  6. Lions

Lions Fapstronaut

Hahah, I have no knowledge about the mattresses , but probably mine is trash too. I don't think that you're walking into an early grave, as long as you feel refreshed after waking up and throughout the day.
    I agree with you completely.

Cel mai drept ideal likes this.
  7. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I definitely sleep better since I got a My pillow for Christmas.

8. Ongoingsupport

Oh by the way, there's a lot of information out there (including historical) that indicates our natural sleep pattern may be biphasic. Apparently before the industrial revolution there were a lot of people waking up for a little bit in the middle of the night and going back to sleep, and during the day a lot of people take a nap or siesta which is like the opposite of the wake up time in the middle of the night. I've had that happen a little where I naturally wake up, but I just open my eyes and don't get out of bed or anything, also I think it may depend on whether I take a nap which is not going to happen on the weekends, just during the work week.

Lions and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  9. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

My sleep usually sucks, even if I try to sleep early I usually actually get like 6 to 5 hours a night.

10. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Interesting. I couldn't find much on this. Could you post any links?

11. Unfortunately scientists have done studies on that and sleep deprivation, by doing what I do it decreases your life span because of the stress on your body/brain, and can also create illness as well. We're not meant to stay up for so long without rest and our mind needs down time, not to mention at night it repairs cells and recuperates the body.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    Lions likes this.
  12. Ongoingsupport

13. TaiseiReborn

TaiseiReborn Fapstronaut

I try to shoot for seven but there is just so much going on that I usually end up wit 5-6 hours of sleep instead.

14. Lions

Lions Fapstronaut

Fairly vast number of studies are being created by researchers and scientists , and I know non of those discoveries since I never made the effort to glance at some , so you're probably right if you had. But on the other hand some people have had the so called "polyphasic" rhythm of sleep practiced , and they functioned just fine. Not much that I know of, but It could be the thing that one usually enters the REM phase much easier in polyphasic sleep so it could be superior compared to monophasic . This is honestly only assumption of mine and like I've said I'm complete stranger in this topic so...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  15. There's also some incredibly rare people that are able to only sleep like two hours a day and feel perfectly fine, so it is hard to say and really confusing to study. I wish I could sleep less and have more time. :D

Gmork likes this.
  16. Lions

Lions Fapstronaut

Indeed there are , but they are like you've said minority, or maybe they are doing something which majority is not. I wish I could sleep less too, since I'm averaging at 9 which is upper edge of recommended , I feel like my life is passing by too fast, lol .

17. Tamirpz

Tamirpz New Fapstronaut

sleep is overated

18. I'd love to sleep deeply or even get a good night's rest, I never seem to have a good sleep even if I don't toss and turn. :(

Gmork likes this.
  19. anewversion

anewversion Fapstronaut

6.30-7 Mon-Fri

9-10 Weekend

20. workHard

workHard Fapstronaut

6 hours per night. And I could make it 7 some days however there are times where my brain just hurts too much from work and I need to take a nap. Or there are times where I seriously frekin wasted my time like when I relapse or when binging on some dumb internet material which then makes my sleep less. I'm working on it though and this community is going to help me strive :)