1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you cure insomnia?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Namekian23, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I've tried everything, but nothing won't work. I'm just trying to get some advice on this sleep condition and was wondering if any of you guys have insomnia or any other sleeping problem in general. My insomnia is so bad that I've been taking sleeping pills for the last 6 years. It seems that there is a shit ton of stress in my life given the fact that I have family responsibilities, a mental disorder, an abusive childhood, and so on.

I know there is no magic pill for getting rid of this condition, but I'll take any advice you guys can give me. After all, it's been 6 years. In most cases, the sleep condition that I have happens because I'm worrying about so many things, and every time I try to go to sleep, there's million thoughts in my head that just refuses to go away. Some good and some bad.

So far, the only thing that's been helping is my new job. I work at a nursery where I'm moving around for about 7 hours a day. Fortunately, I really enjoy my job, and I'm planning to move up in my company. But back to the insomnia, I've been having this condition for so long, and getting off the sleep medication is extremely hard to do although I've decreased them because of my new job. Anyway, do any of you have any ideas?

2. IGY

IGY Guest

There is a medication that is not addictive and which I found helpful. It is called hydroxyzine. I used to take four a night @ 25 mg per tablet. Unusually, you would be taking it, not for it's prime function as an antihistamine, but for the side effect of making you drowsy. I had all three types of insomnia concurrently, and it helped with them all. In contrast, some of the sleeping tablets you can get prescribed have a short half life. Therefore, even if you get off to sleep OK, they won't help you get back to sleep if you wake up after an hour and a half or longer. However, hydroxyzine helps throughout the night. You can start and stop the medication and adjust the doses without causing any reaction whatsoever. So, why not give it a try?

3. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Thanks man I'll give it a try. I'm taking other medication as well, so I'll have to talk with my doctor.

4. Kennen

Kennen Fapstronaut

I think insomnia is very common to nofappers.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Oct2011

Oct2011 Fapstronaut

It's good you have a job...try getting up extra early.....and making it a habit of going to bed on time....

Try to do it without medicine..it will be difficult at first.....but on time it will come...good luck

As for all these thoughts and anxiety...maybe meditation, yoga, praying (if it works for you)

Everybody needs slightly different hours of sleep....I often sleep a bit during the day after I get home from work for 1 hour..and then sleep at night for 6 hours....

6. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I know these things are very basic, and it's a no-brainer. I just want to get off the sleep medication for good, but it's so hard. What's worse is that it's antidepressants and mood-stabilizers that help me to sleep, not your normal sleep meds. It's more addicting than anything else. I do yoga and meditation often; I even exercise, but the last thing I want to do is increase my meds or try different ones. I don't know........I'll think of something. Thanks for your advice...

7. mbernabe11

mbernabe11 Fapstronaut

I read that taking cold shower a few hours before going to bed helps. Idk i still have yet to try

Namekian23 likes this.
  8. kingpietro

kingpietro Fapstronaut

Read a book best is a noval(drama) but for me fantasy also works before going to sleep this will help you to get to sleep.

This is what i do: take a verry cold shower Avoid computer, TV , iphone before going to bed. instead sit down and read a book and after that put down the book at you're desk and go to sleep.

It doesn’t matter what type of book you’re reading as long as you find it fully absorbing.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Namekian23 likes this.
  9. I have insomnia as well but it's one they told me called "maintenance insomnia" and it's bloody brutal. Usually after I fall asleep (which is usually with in 30 seconds to 2 minutes) about three to four hours later my eyes will spring open and I'll be wide awake for another 1 to 3 hours.

I try as I might but nothing literally works, I've tried it all including getting up and all that stuff. The only thing that has seemed to help is slow breathing exercises with the eyes closed as well as trying not visualise or think to hard otherwise you keep your brain more alert. Insomnia is a bitch no matter what form of it you have, I haven't tried pills as I refuse mediation of most kind since they're not just addictive but terrible for your body.

I hope you get better soon mate.

Namekian23 likes this.
  10. apprentice

apprentice Fapstronaut

You sound a little like myself in that anxiety is the cause of your insomnia so if we can lessen the anxiety, we can improve our sleep.

I haven't been suffering with anxiety and insomnia for as long as you but I have had some pretty bad patches over the past couple of years where I haven't been able to sleep at all sometimes for 48-72 hours and even when I do get a bit of sleep, I don't really feel like I am sleeping, but just lightly dozing and re-awakening every 30-90 minutes.

I was prescribed zopiclone from my doctor and even after taking just 1 or 2 pills during the week to help with sleeping around work, I get terrible rebound insomnia & anxiety where I'm not able to sleep for at least 24 hours.

For me, a herbal "stack" of supplements has gone some way in helping my day-to-day sleep.

Around an hour before bed I'll typically take:

200mg Magnesium citrate
    200mg L-Theanine
    500mg L-Tryptophan

...And wash it down with a cup of Chamomile tea. Not a magic bullet but like I said, it does seem to go some way in calming my nerves before bed.

Some other herbal/supplemental options include Valerian root, Kava and Hops. There is also the option of Melatonin, but do some research into this if you haven't used it before. It can mess with your natural hormonal secretion of melatonin and circadian rhythm.

I also have some phenibut on order which I'm hoping can help when my anxiety gets really bad to the point where I'm having panic attacks in the night.

Cleaning up your diet is also recommended. Cut back or eliminate caffeine, sugar and other stimulants, especially later in the day. Research foods that lower cortisol in the body.

As others have said, breathing techniques (deep breathing) and meditating can help with relaxation as well as reading a book or magazine (not your phone or computer) to unwind.

Good luck!

Namekian23 likes this.
  11. Padre Loco

Padre Loco Fapstronaut

1) Sobriety in general
    2) Plant-based living
    3) Daily meditation

Namekian23 likes this.
  12. apprentice

apprentice Fapstronaut

I forgot to add about NoFap. For years, I thought a wank before bed helped me relax and get off to sleep but since practising NoFap, I've made a negative connection with fapping before sleep and now it seems to make me more anxious / jittery / uptight. I typically sleep better when I'm on a streak. This especially seems to affect the quality. Even if I only get 4 or so hours, I feel clearer and fresher and more jovial during the day.

Namekian23 likes this.