1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Hobby to stop Complacency

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Joe1023, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Joe1023

Joe1023 Fapstronaut

Does anyone else fight this addiction, but find themselves getting complacent, or am I the only one? I will talk with my S.A. group, my sponsor, my therapist, and my wife after I screw up, and then I'm VERY strict on myself and what I allow myself to be around. Slowly but surely, the boundary thins and it becomes a bit of a gray area, and I'm looking at things that I wouldn't dare look at right after the last few talks I had with my inner circle trusted people. I told my wife recently that I had once again blurred the lines and then she found out that it was worse than what I had told her. So I now need to look at myself and my habits. I need to look at my normal routine and make changes to ensure I don't once again fall in this same way, which has happened more times than I care to admit. (Let's recall a common definition of insanity!)

So, with that in mind, I'm going to be looking into a hobby that has no "gray areas" or dangerous places that I can get into trouble with. I'm thinking of maybe doing some model planes, or maybe one of those enormous Lego models. It needs to be something that I can do at home quietly. I get home from work around midnight, and my wife is always asleep by then.

Does anyone have a hobby or something you do when you're bored to stay out of trouble that I can do quietly at home? I'm definitely open to ideas!

2. Models and Lego's are great because they require focus and attention; I build them from time to time and it's like I am meditating almost. May you go more in-depth about the issues you are having?

3. Joe1023

Joe1023 Fapstronaut

Let's just say I'm a huge comic book nerd since the late 1990's. I look up comic art, which began innocently enough. But the more I looked for comic art, the more risky the images got that came up.

4. It's sad how many good games and such I have ruined for myself. It's hard for me to play certain games or watch certain anime's without becoming triggered from all the NSFW content I have looked at.

5. Joe1023

Joe1023 Fapstronaut

Yup. Video games haven't been a real big problem for me, at least when compared to comic book art and 3D images by AI generators. Although some of the fighting games they have now are pretty triggering some times.

6. Writing. Specifically fiction, short stories, novellas, maybe even novels. It takes up a lot of time and focus, and you can write about whatever you want so there's no chance of falling into bad habits. It's an excellent outlet for creativity and self-expression too. The counterbalance to this is reading, there's no way you'll get good at writing without reading a lot first, and those two things balance each other out very well. I've been writing for years and I'm never triggered when writing.

Joe1023 likes this.
  7. Oh yah, for me it's street fighter.