1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with worship music

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Hello, I would wish to get into the music of God. But I have not delved into the things that I can listen to very much. Things that are made of praise, worship and deep theology. I have been a metalhead all my life, so when I got saved, I started listening to Christian metal bands like Stryper, Theocracy and Narnia. But there is a very limited amount of Christian metal that is actually good. Theocracy has it all, both deep meaningful theology that you start thinking about and masterfully crafted songs. But like I said, this is an anomaly.

So I would like to look into different genres. I know I like melodic things, songs that make good use of the instruments. It can be fast or calm, but I like if it has some life to it. So naturally, I find Rap/Hiphop to be awful because of the lack of melody and instruments.

Do you have any good songs or psalms you think I might like?

Mara43 likes this.
  2. SwedishViking likes this.
  3. Thanks
    Thanks, I like the stuff you posted, maybe I'll learn some Spanish in the process :)

Mara43 and jw2021 like this.
  4. Great!! :-D
    Glad to have been helpful ^^

jw2021 likes this.
  5. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

SwedishViking and jw2021 like this.
  6. If I am going to be honest with you, the truth is, I don't like any contemporary Christian worship music. If you do like it, and are looking for metal-style Christian worship music, that's great! As an alternative perspective to consider: I prefer to maintain a distinction between sacred and secular music. As a conservative and historic (uh, not sure "historic" is the right word here, but hopefully you will get my meaning) Protestant, I believe there are several important distinctives that ought to apply to music used in a worship service (I understand you aren't necessarily talking about music used in a worship service): it has to be singable by the whole congregation (not professionals), the accompaniment should aid the congregation in singing (not distract or draw attention to itself), it is not to be entertainment/concert-like (no band up front, etc.), the intended audience is the Triune God, etc. Thus, the Christian music I like is generally limited to metrical psalms and the great hymns of the church. Once in a great moon I may sit and listen to a performance of this music, say a hymn setting I particularly like (and, to be honest, I like the more "masculine" hymns, for lack of a better word). Powerful hymns, words that are deep, tunes that are hearty and strong. And then I enjoy secular music: classical, folk music, bluegrass, etc. This is just how I parse things, I'm not saying you should do the same. But you might want to consider metrical psalms and some good hymns.

For example, here's a favorite: https://hymnary.org/text/christ_jesus_lay_in_deaths_strong_bands And here's a wonderful rendition with a powerful organ accompaniment (honestly, it's too much for a worship service, but it's beautiful to listen to; I also don't think choirs should be used in worship services). I'm not Lutheran, I'm Reformed, but this is a great song.

7. I wish I could get better at liking hymns. It seems like that's where the deep theology lies.

8. There's nothing special about hymns. Most of those tunes were just the popular music of the day when they were penned. The lyrics can be quite profound, but not always. Deep theology lies wherever you find God at work in the world. That can be in a hymn or just about any kind of music, really.

Personally, I can't stand most hymns. A few I grew up with carry some nostalgia for me (always a warning sign, I think), but for the most part, they seem quite bland and uninteresting. I am sure some will think I am missing out on something vital! :)

Wilderness Wanderer and Mara43 like this.

9. Anything by Keith & Kristen Getty is rich in lyrics, and good melody. Or check out the Together for the Gospel (T4G) live recordings, those are great!

jw2021 likes this.
  10. Some have claimed the tunes in hymns were common bar tunes, and that's simply untrue. What is special about hymns is that this was the Protestant Reformation's way of opening the door for congregational singing--in the medieval church, only trained musicians were permitted to sing. With hymns, no matter your vocal range, there is a part for you to sing. They were, at the time, revolutionary. Today, most evangelical churches are returning to the practice of having professionals sing and lead music rather than encouraging the entire congregation to participate--so, more of a concert- or entertainment-like situation, where you stand in the crowd and watch others worship and you listen.

So, if you want to listen to psalms, there are metrical psalms (like hymns) that you could look up and learn to sing.

Honestly, though, I almost never listen to hymns. I have been learning other sorts of music, like folk music and bluegrass, some of which have a decidedly Christian bent in the lyrics. I sing them along with my stringed instrument and that's quite enjoyable. I like to think I'm walking in the steps of King David in that sense. :)

I also enjoy classical music. Bach is amazing, he was a committed Lutheran, and when there is singing it's typically in German, but with God-honoring lyrics. This is not something I am capable of singing along with, but I definitely like the music. Here's one of my favorites:

If you don't like classical music, that's fine. I'm not trying to push anything on you, just sharing some options that I've enjoyed.

Vicit_fidem, jw2021 and Tao Jones like this.
  11. I apologize if I have promulgated a falsehood re: secular music being repurposed for use inside the church.

Wilderness Wanderer and jw2021 like this.
  12. RedeemedIowan

RedeemedIowan Fapstronaut

This is about as far as it gets from metal, but maybe you have a softer side haha.

If you’ve got 10 minutes to worship God, try this. This song has been a reminder to me that I am who He says I am. I am not a slave to PMO, I am chosen, I am a child or God, etc.

Wilderness Wanderer likes this.