1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ok so this may sound bizarre and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but...

During meditation and quite a lot when I'm just trying to rest I'll find I'm controlling my breathing in a manner that prevents relaxation. I am unable to let go of control and just let the body deal with breathing.

This has occurred i think because i have been meditating now for a year and most of that time not doing it correctly, now there's an automatic obsession with the breath. I try to let go and focus on the thoughts, letting my mind be as empty or busy as it wants but i find I'm having to do this every minute during meditation.

Anyone have any tips on letting things be? Or on visualization or mantra meditations?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. DeludedSoul

DeludedSoul Fapstronaut

Try Sohum mantra meditation....it's very effective. You can also try counting of breath. Another good practice is bhramari pranayam.

Deleted Account and im_broken like this.
  3. DeludedSoul

DeludedSoul Fapstronaut

A very important thing to heal your breathing issues - Learn abdominal breathing. That means to use diaphragm for breathing....just as a new born baby breathes. With life's pressures and stresses, we mess up our breathing patterns. Google on this and you will get more info.

4. Thanks for your advice, i will look into those

5. DeludedSoul

DeludedSoul Fapstronaut

You are welcome. You can also try meditation on OM. Then you don't have to worry about the breath.

6. I'll really want you to join this thread- Meditation Challenge - 60 days.
    You can find many ways to meditate in this blog... also you can share your progress and even help us by doing so.....
    I'm looking forward for you there...

im_broken likes this.
  7. Thank you, I was not aware of this thread, I will do the challenge and report every day

8. Darf-ulkjer

Darf-ulkjer Fapstronaut

I tend to do just very simple anapanasati meditation, focusing on the sensations of the breath in and around the nostrils, just breathing very naturally, not trying to control or force anything.
    Nice anselmo profile pic btw, stay sober, don't bury yourself in smoke before you meditate lel

9. mindatrisk

mindatrisk Fapstronaut

I'm a meditator of close to 15 years now, and I'd say that this isn't really a problem. The objective of mindfulness meditation is to develop an awareness of your mind... this is all. So, whether you naturally breath or control the breath, whether your eyes are open or not, whether you are full lotus or lying on a bed, whether you sit rigidly still or allow yourself movement to itch your ass... the only concern is whether you are developing an awareness of your mind. Certain things can be helpful, i.e. lotus position, natural breathing etc. but they are not what meditation is about or for, they are literally just enablers. The only question for you - irrespective of everything else - is, when your mind wanders away into thought, do you, at some point, become aware of this? If you do - even if your mind wanders for 15 minutes at a time, then you are successfully meditating!

10. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

This is a very common thing people experience. Try searching r/meditation. I'm sure many people have posted about it. You can also have something else (pretty much anything) be the focus of your attention so long as you watch it with a sense of curiosity rather than expectation. Sounds, the way the air feels on your skin, the way light dances on an object. You can also try visualization techniques.

im_broken and Deleted Account like this.