Help with clothes and style (for men)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

So I've been looking into improving my dressing sense, but can't really make much sense out of most things I find online.

Most trends for men online seem over the top, and usually involve the use of expensive products and stuff.

What I want is, to be dressed normally (not too flashy with those fancy suits and all, I'm still a college kid), but nicely (I hope that makes sense).

Is anyone here into this sort of thing? Or does anybody know where I can find something that can help?

Thanks in advance!

2. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

I always recommend, dress what you are comfortable in and what makes YOU feel good. When I'm going out, I like a nice lavender / purple dress shirt and solid colour jeans, and it makes me feel good. Women pick up on that more than anything, how you feel in your clothes. How do you dress now ? In what way do you think it needs to be changed, exactly ?

3. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

Looking stylish has very little with money. It is about wearing the clothes that fit you perfectly (not too big, not too small), that match together (if you match colour of shoes and T-shirt you never can go wrong) and about wearing same style clothes (no trainers with suit, so wear suit-suit shoes, sweatpants-trainers,etc.
    Most of time I wear only sweatpants, t-shirt and trainers to the city and even to the club, but it looks so damn good because the fit, color and same style. So these three things are important not the price of clothes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Deleted Account and DainTrinity like this.
  4. ooooo I love fashion. I would say one of my favorite places to shop is http://m.asos.com/us/men/. I lot of their shit is pretty hipster trash but they have a lot of trendy indie clothes too, and most of it is pretty cheap. but my favorite part of asos is the free returns -- it makes it really easy to find something you like cause you can return whatever you didn't for no charge. sometimes I'll buy clothes in different sizes and just return whatever didn't fit me. I'd say that over half my wardrobe is from that site

5. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

6. I don't know what my style is :/

Right now I just wear t shirts. Occasionally full shirts, and jeans.

I wear baggy jeans, which I recently realised is not quite in fashion.

I am a bit fat (started losing weight now by exercising), and I used to wear large shirts and jeans to hide my fatness.

I'm an Indian guy with a wheatish complexion.

I'm 5'10''. Probably weigh some 75+ kgs.

7. Right now, I wear clothes that are comfortable, but the problem is, they just don't look good.

I just wear whatever shirt and jeans I can find (more or less).

I think I need to change the type of shirts/jeans I wear.

What I usually wear right now is a large sized T shirt, with baggy jeans.
    Either that or a large regular shirt (full sleeves) with the same baggy jeans.

And all these over sports shoes

8. Maybe I need to look into what fits me because right now, I wear large clothes to hide my fatness :p

But since I'm losing weight, I might soon be able to wear slim fitting clothes.

When you say clothes that fit, how exactly do you mean?

9. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

Baggy clothes aren't great, when you are actually going out and wanting to look sharp, they should be form fitting. As comfortable as loose pants feel, they're not ideal. Your size doesn't matter, lots of women prefer bigger fellows, or as they like to call it, big and cuddly. Wearing clothes that fit you better shows confidence in your appearance. Generally you shouldn't be able to grab your pants and wrap it into your entire closed fist and still have space to pull it away, that's way too baggy. I think that comes back to another point, confidence. You're wearing clothes to hide yourself, not to show yourself off. You have to be confident that you look good.

TheLoneWoolf likes this.
  10. Mkngitwrk

Mkngitwrk Fapstronaut

I like go wear what looks good and is comfortable. some styles just don't look good even if it is the latest i just don't bothef if it doesn't look good on my body. Khakis and a good pair of jeans White button up shirt and a couple of polos are my go to. Nothing to fancy just classic and comfortable.

11. To be honest, I was hoping that dressing well would help me become more confident...

I do lack in the confidence department. I've started being more confident nowadays, but I'm still far from where I should be.

One more thing is, I'm not fat like big and cuddly kind of fat. I'm more like the stomach fat and manboobs kind of fat :/

12. I can't say I'm a fashion expert at all really because I usually find large t shirts at Walmart or order items off of Amazon but I'd say if you want to dress nicely for a college kid I would find, like someone else said in the comments, something form fitting. Maybe a nice long sleeve shirt, or dress shirt depending on your day with a pair of relaxed jeans ( not too baggy ). I wouldn't be sure on what to say for shoes, I wouldn't go as far to say dress shoes because some walking shoes can look good with that attire, at least in my opinion. I, as of right now, live in the western part of U.S. so I wear I light jacket over long sleeve shirts. I hope my 2 cents helped a bit but overall even casual clothes can be nice, coupled with the right things.

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. CBook

CBook Fapstronaut

Here are some articles that I personally have been helped by and that I recommend. My own advice is this: take small steps, buy one garment at a time. If you do this you minimize the risk of impulsive shopping.

14. Stone_Richie

Stone_Richie Fapstronaut

Get a super cool perfect fit high quality jacket and your style will evolve around it.

I bought a beautiful vintage leather jacket four years ago and slowly started creating my own style. After the jacket came sicilian aviators then a silk gentleman's scarf and finally a waxed mustache. My look is solid now

15. Jimmy Free

Jimmy Free New Fapstronaut

Hi Don. I signed up for an account just so I could add my thoughts about this. The most helpful thing I did regarding wardrobe was to carefully decide what I liked and then buy seven sets of that outfit. It's almost all I ever wear. It's distinct enough that people can recognize me from behind a half mile away haha! I found out Steve Jobs and several other highly productive men have chosen this way of filling their wardrobe. A side benefit of this is all the time I save shopping and I never have trouble deciding what I'm going to wear! :) Hope that helps.

16. TheLoneWoolf

TheLoneWoolf Fapstronaut

The Best thing you can ever wear is confidence.
    Get comfortable yourselves. I'm also Indian. I usually wear T-shirts and pants ( Take sometime and experiment yourself with different types of Ts and pants etc) .. If I'm attending an event I wear formals or a supercool T and jeans..

17. I went to a mall nearby, and experimented a bit.

I had read somewhere about skinny jeans being fashionable, and tried some out, but I'm not sure I've underestood how exactly its supposed to be done yet....

18. ahaha that's the catch, you see?

I was kinda hoping to improve my confidence by improving my clothes and style in general.....

19. ScroogeMcDuck

ScroogeMcDuck Fapstronaut

don't wear skinny jeans..
    try chino's they go with everything.
    dont wear expensive brand undewear or pants .. no one wil notice it anyway.
    get some basic shirts(some with longs sleeves), and polo's. no stupid graphic desings
    nooo hoody.. wear knitwear sweater instead
    get black leather sneakers that are a bit more dressy. for example hugo boss spacit.
    get a nice coat, like a pea coat (collar up :cool:) or a leather jacket. don't go cheap.. if you wear it a lot its worth it.
    and a nice watch can make the difference!

if you wear dress shirts, they need to fit, never go too big!
    same goes for a suit.

20. I did check out some chinos, but they have weird colors like green, or blue, and I'm not sure what I can pair with them (which colored shirt, shoes, etc).