1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

[Group proposal] Book Club

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 20, 2019.

Yay or nay?

1. Y

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. N

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. I've read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls at high school and nothing since :eek:

Going by the publication order, the first big books are Notes from Underground (FD), The Sun also Rises (EH), A Wild Sheep Chase (HM). Maybe start with one of them?

justafriend and Coffee Candy like this.
  2. I don't think you need to believe in it to find it interesting. Francesca Stavrakopoulou is an atheist but she finds the Bible fascinating, so much so that she writes and teaches about it.

3. I think @Coffee Candy idea is a good one. It a bit like something I do in a writing group I'm a part of on Facebook. At the moment I can't afford to buy a new book.

EthanW. and Coffee Candy like this.
  4. Rio, you can download pdf's online I can show you some places if you want

5. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Then I would suggest
    Murder on orient express

6. Sounds good to me, if you guys are up to it, we could start with that one. We should stablish an amount of pages per day, shouldn't we? Or do you fancy everyone readying at their own pace and posting comments? I think the first option is better.

7. I'd personally prefer the others that have been mentioned but I will join you guys in reading this one if it wins. Let's wait till more people chime in though. I'd like to see more Yays on that vote before I ask the mods for a group.

8. If possible I like to read a paper book.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  9. Ebooks and audiobooks aren't as bad as they seem. You should try them.

justafriend and Coffee Candy like this.
  10. Yeah, I was against ebooks, then I got one and I am almost against books now hahaha My ebook has not screen light, and it is desiged to resemble an actual paper page, so it's like looking at an actual paper book, you need sunlight or any other light casted on the screen to read it, just like a book, but with the awesome advantage of its light weight, being easy and comfortable to hold, and having as many books as you want in one single "book", it's like holding your bookshelf on your hands.
    Also the battery lasts for months.

11. Audio books dont count in this group do they?
    Because that's listening and not reading..even though I suppose we're still imagining a story in our brains while listening ... .

12. Yeah, but you're listening to someone else reading it so it's reading. Lawyered!

I prefer ebooks though, because so do the pirates.

I'mJustAChoice and Coffee Candy like this.
  13. [​IMG]

Uuuhuhhh

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. One Strong Girl

One Strong Girl Fapstronaut

I’m such a big book worm. I’ve been reading ever since I learned how to read as a child lol.
    I still do it every night before bed, it’s such a good way to relax.

I mainly read crime/psychology thrillers (in English) . But I also read other stuff in my mother tongue or English like psychology,health, fitness, religious books..etc

15. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

The problem is getting multiple people to read the same book. But, yeah, if you do the "read, report and share" concept @Coffee Candy floated, that would leave it open to a broader base. You should do that for the group.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  16. justafriend likes this.
  17. If you do make a group, I definitely agree with this. I read mostly fiction, and every time I find a thread on here about books I'm excited to join, but it's pretty much entirely non-fiction and self-help books people are reading, so I dont really have anything to add to the conversation.

18. I have and I still prefer reading paper books. Now I actually regret that I bought so many on Kindle.

Coffee Candy likes this.