1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

From negative to positive

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 14, 2017.

1. When quitting pmo. You find all these feelings you wanted to hide. A lot of negativity, hate towards others and self,...

But this negativity gets me nowhere. So I want to be positive. I've thought about affirmations, things you're thankfull for,...

Has someone changed their attitude from negative to positive and wants me to share some tips / experience?

:)

2. I was sarcastic pessimist that turned into big happy optimist (believe or not, people notice too :) ). I think the key is to change your believes about everything. Like everything has its "good side". And what helps is to, whereever you are whatever you do, look for good side of things (but keep in mind reality). Then gratefulness, loving yourself and so on. But the key is to change your believes.

If you want, try book Learned Optimism (Martin Seligman) and many videos on TED.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I've watched some videos on TED. They help a lot, especially when you see people who have it worse as you being hapmy with life.
    Thanks for reply

4. One important distinction from moving from negative to positive thoughts is realising that you are not at the root of all of your thoughts. If you sit and meditate regularly, you will quickly discover that even with your mind's attention elsewhere, thoughts simply appear without you trying to make them do so. As a result, intrusive thoughts are a normal part of every day life.

When you realise this, this allows you to realise that ultimately you are the "guardian at the gate" of your own mind. You can choose which of your thoughts to associate with and accept, and which to merely let slide and reject.

For the next month, try this exercise. Every time you have a negative thought, simply tell yourself that this thought is not yours, and you will not accept it. If possible, also create a new positive thought in its place.

This feels artificial at first, but I assure you after doing it for a month you will feel the difference.

----

That's for starters, now on to some other things that'll help.

3 years ago I was at my worst. I was an addict. I hated life. I wanted to die. Now I'm about to turn 25 tomorrow and I can honestly say I'm the happiest and most fulfilled I've ever been, and this feeling only increases as time goes by. With each passing day, week, month, I get happier, and my life improves further.

There were a few things that contributed to that, I'll list them the most important ones for you:
    • Daily meditation. If you don't already meditate daily, start. It will help with learning not to associate with negative thoughts, and learning to be more positive. It will reduce anxiety and stress, and allow you to feel more calm. If you do not know how to meditate, it's simple: Sit comfortable, and watch your breathing. Any time you catch yourself getting caught up in thought, or becoming distracted from the process of observing your breath - simply return your attention to your breathing. Do this for at least 5 minutes a day, and aim to increase that length of time over time until you can meditate for 15-20+ minutes a day.
    • Quitting bad habits. I quit all drugs (aside from the occasional drink - I have quit everything, even caffeine and cigarettes). I quit PMO. I stopped wasting ridiculous amounts of time on video games and other time-wasters. You are like a bucket. Happiness is like water. The bucket won't stay full if it has a bunch of holes in the bottom. So plug the holes (remove the bad habits) first.
    • Finding meaning and purpose. Back 3 years ago I did no good, I provided no value to the world. I only took, I was toxic to be around, I was a negative influence, and it is no wonder that I suffered as a result of that. Now I found a purpose. I started creating YouTube videos, which have reached millions of people worldwide, offering advice, teaching things I know etc. I'm now investing a large amount of my time helping others and giving something back to the world - it might seem like a waste of time when you're in a bad place and don't have the energy for such a pursuit.. but far from it. Giving to others is perhaps one of the best ways to give back to yourself. The little things really make it worthwhile. For example I have a lucid dreaming guide I posted which was my first video. I still remember the incredible joy I felt the first comment I got back from someone telling me they had their first lucid dream thanks to my guide. I now know that I have a purpose and am doing something that is benefiting the world outside of myself - this in itself prevents me from ever descending back in to darkness. Any time I have the slightest of negative thoughts or feelings of unhappiness, I simply remember the 20,000 people who have subscribed to my channel who look to me for advice, and realise that it is important for me to stay strong and positive: not for me but for them.

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The "sarcastic pessimism" thing is something I used to do a lot, I adopted this persona to fit in at school and even years after leaving school I still wore it like a mask that hid my real personality. Eventually I just realised that constantly being down about everything and acting like a pretentious cynic serves no real purpose and that while bitching about things can occasionally be therapeutic, being optimistic, or at the very least pragmatic, is a lot more good for you in the long run.

6. @JesusGreen
    Wow, didn't expect such a good reply. helped me a lot. Especially the part where you said that thoughts come and go and that you can decide wich you can act on.

I took a screenshot of the post so I won't forget to put this in my lifestyle!

Have a great day.

7. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

I think feelings need to be expressed and felt, even the negative ones. If they are not allowed their time then they would return back over and over.

On the other side, negativity is a learned response from all those around us. If we grew up around unhappy pessimistic people we would become it. So it can be reprogrammed with constant positive thinking books and practice.

But being positive or negative should not be the goal here. Neither extreme is good. The goal is to become authentic and able to feel the full range of emotions: from the negative to the positive. What is the most important is to have deeply routed understanding that the universe has your back, even when things judged as negative happen to us and then to work on developing trust and acceptance and trying to see what the universal inteligence can see.

8. I know what you mean, but a good old philosophical question - what is good, what is bad? I don't say that you should block bad emotions (never) - but are emotions bad? Tony Robbins says it very well - things that happen around us happen, many times we can't do anything with that. They get into our brain by our senses and our believes shape them into feelings and so on. You decide what is bad and what is good - you have the power. Classical example would not fit, so the extreme one could be sadness about death - it can be bad, blab blah - or it can be transfered into energy and drive to push forward (and represent that person, for example.)

Choice is always yours :)