1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dopamine reset?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by backtolife42, Feb 27, 2019.

1. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

Hey, some time ago I came across the idea, of doing a „dopamine reset“ every now and then. The idea is, to avoid anything that releases dopamine, like social media, tv, electronic devices, even reading and food for 24 hours. Its basically only allowed to drink water, go outside and write.
    The goal is, to withdraw youself from anything pleasurable, so you are able to find more pleasure in simple things and in being productive (at least that how I understand it).
    Has anyone made experiences with this approach? Would you reccomend doing something like that?

EternalDreams likes this.
  2. RamboErecto

RamboErecto Fapstronaut

You will take dopamine just for walk. Dont need to stop eat or do things that you like.

The idea of technological devices sounds fine.

3. Meep

Meep Fapstronaut

I will try this friday because tomorrow i got school day off and i want to do pleasurable stuff which is drawing working out and mah guitar

4. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

I will try it tomorrow, avoiding food is probably a bad idea, but i will stick to healthy food. Tbh I am not sure if I can make it, but it seems like I agood challange.

5. Marik757

Marik757 Fapstronaut

Let us know how it works for ya. Kinda skeptical with it just only being for 24 hrs. Yet, it might be an good way to jump into an reboot for the first day. Yhen slowly readd productive activities and healthy foods into in new daily routine.

6. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

Ok, my experience wit trying the dopamine reset:
    Its pretty hard. I didint and still dont feel very well, there where many cravings, since I allowed myself to eat, I ate a lot more than I usually would. But I also got some things done I wanted to do for a while. I read about 100 pages in 12 rules for life, almost finished it, got through 10 sites of my mathscript, even though I didnt go too much into detail, this is quite a lot. I also got my laundry done, even folded everything (usually my stuff hangs around untill I wear it again).
    I think the most difficult thing is, that I have become very reliant on coffein. I feel tired, I have very low energy. But this Experiment showed me, how dependent I am to a lot of things, and how much time they take away from me (especially watching nonsense on my IPad and gaming). But this Experiment didnt give me the energy or motivational boost I was hoping for. Maybe it was a bit too much, I still have a lot of things I have to figure out, a lot of bad habits, so I think it was forseeable, that I wouldnt feel too good after that. But at least it showed me, that I actually can go a day without all the things that are holding me back, that I dont need them to survive.
    Not sure if I would reccomend doing this, but it gave me some insights into how I might be able to change some of my behaviours for the better.

EternalDreams likes this.