1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do We Make this too Complicated?

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

There are libraries and data bases filled with religious instruction and inspiration. The bible itself is a large collection of books that can raise unlimited numbers of questions and interpretations. I don't for a second suggest that these things are bad, or that we should ignore them, but I do feel that we often lose sight of the forest while studying all of the trees within in.

How clever Our Precious Lord was to allow the challenge between Himself and the Pharisees when they asked Him what is the greatest commandment? Christ summarized for us the single most basic and important pieces of guidance when He replied:

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

While praying recently, I was challenged by the thought - have I forgotten how to love? When I look into my heart, I see that I truly revere Our Lord and I deeply love His Mother but how readily I forget the second part - Love your neighbor as yourself.

If I start every day reading the secular news and allowing all the bad that is there to make me unhappy and grumpy, I am only filling my mind with anger and I am seriously squelching my capacity for love.

I won't stop searching for more inspiration and insight into God's will for mankind but I pray I will not lose focus on the imperative to love and the hallmarks of being loving as well as lovable.

Mara43 and born3 like this.
  2. Not trying to be rude, but I'm a little confused on what it is you're trying to say with this post. In the beginning you make it sound as if all of the Church's treasury of knowledge in some way contributes to you forgetting to love your neighbor. Yet when you give an example, it has to do with the time you spend indulging in secular media.

Then you post the verses from Christ who says we must love our neighbor as ourselves, but what does Christ mean by that, friend?

What does it mean to love ourselves?
    What does it mean to love our neighbor?
    What does it mean to love God with our whole heart, soul, and mind?

It's true we can overcomplicate matters, but we can over simplify them as well. Christ gave us the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, to teach and guide us to the fulfillment of those two commandments. This is why you study the Catechism, and read the Bible and the commentaries according to the Spirit of the Church.

Without the Church as our guide, our love is always going to be superficial.

3. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

But to know that the most important thing is to Love the Lord your God with all your heart ... and Love your neighbor as yourself, is not the same as to be able to do it. You know that we (not only addicts but all human beings) are enslaved by the aftermath of the original sin - egoism, selfishness, pride etc. and that our will strength is very limited. That's why we have to have some means of receiving God's grace which gradually will be giving us more freedom and power plus the change of mindset called metanoia. And only by this grace we are able to Love the Lord our God with all your heart ... and Love our neighbor as yourself, more and more.

So, the question is how to receive that grace and the answer gives the church and her instructions (teachings) what to do to gain that grace in the best possible way. As you know (believe) the best means of salvation (means to receive graces - actual and increasing habitual) has the Catholic Church. That's why it's very important to read, listen to materials which will enable us to get to know and use more and more working tools giving us the God's graces.
    In comparison it's like someone who wants to earn two milion dollars a year but in an honest way, using the money to help his family and to help lots of people working in his company. To be able to manage the company he has to be very well educated in business matters, economics etc. To get to know this he has to study a lot of all connected to his business. All the knowledge will make him successful.

The same with faith. You know why I am PMO free. No therapies, no therapists, no psychological tricks, no help from other people, no therapeutic groups. I'm free because I studied Catholic theology on grace , on my own for 2 long years , every day. I got to know what I lacked and I started using it. And still being an active PMO addict I wouldn't for sure be able to try to Love the Lord our God with all your heart ... and Love our neighbor as yourself because of frequent lack of grace.

CPilot likes this.
  4. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I can see that my post is not clear. I failed to explain that I have recently been reminded that I am frequently guilty of anger. Secular news is a constant source of anger for me and recent conversations with a person concerning Protestant Apologetics has also caused me to forget Christ's directive to love one another. I can see that my deep love of the Catholic faith can tempt me to sins of anger and pride when I am confronted with those whose faith has a cornerstone in picking apart Catholicism. Christ directs us to love one another in all cases. He sacrificed Himself and accepted excruciating pain for the sins of ALL men and women, not just the ones who think the same as I do. I am guilty of forgetting this and His directive to love one another.

Fulton likes this.
  5. Not all anger is sinful or uncharitable; there is righeous anger. Our Lord after all called Pharasises a brood of vipers and also wipped and turned over tables in the temple with the money changers. There are times, while rare, when anger does not oppose love of neighbor. We are called to be loving, we are not called to be doormats.

Keli likes this.
  6. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

But .... what is love? Is it the love which sang Haddaway about? There is a secular common meaning of love - that is being nice to others, avoiding any conflicts to not to cause bad atmosphere etc.
    And what is to love one another?
    John 15:13 - ' Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.'
    So, Christ's definition of love is different than we assume commonly.

Mara43 and Keli like this.
  7. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Thank you for this consideration and thank you Fulton for yours. However, I know what is in my heart and it is not what Christ is trying to lead me to. Christ's quality of love and that of His mother are something to aspire to and I have a very long way to go but this is our challenge, to love like Christ.

When I consider the incredible agony those soldiers and the others put Our Precious Lord through and yet Christ was still able to ask His Father to forgive them while they tortured Him, I think we must recognize He hated no one. Certainly, He called out sin and sinners without hesitation but He did it with love in His heart and we are called to do the same, no matter how difficult it may be.

Mara43 likes this.