Difficult times but making serious progress, any tips for me?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Raul Silata, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Raul Silata

Raul Silata New Fapstronaut

I'm 22 years old and I am committed to abstaining from sex until marriage, I don't have problems with girls its just hard to find ones that suit my standards. Anyhow I am basically stuck in a situation where I have to avoid masturbation in order to be productive enough to realize my life goals but I don't have sex as an option due to my religious beliefs, I am confident that this won't last forever but I am expecting a challenging 4-8 years. My best streak to this point is 12 days (pathetic compared to many of you I'm sure) but thats why I'm here, I would love to hear tips and insights from people who have more or less mastered the ability to avoid masturbation completely or nearly, thanks.

2. 12 days is awesome...Ive had ups and downs over the years...I think what a lot of people will say is to find your triggers.
    And find a hobby to improve yourself. My best is 28 days...had a couple slip ups recently...trying to work on the apathy phase. Luckily have been able to find someone to reach out to directly after becoming re-engaged on here. Finding out that I have been helpful to her has been a huge motivator. this is a great community dont just keep to yourself, you have experiences that can help others and in turn it will make your reboot easier as well.

3. Mixtec

Mixtec Fapstronaut

If you are religious...find a church support group. I am a Christian and I found a Christian mens support group in my area. We start off every meeting with a saying "we are not here to fix each other; we are here to encourage and uplift each other." I told them all my struggles and in return they helped me find some of the triggers that was always making me relapse.

Social media (major one), feeling sorry for myself, wishing I had this/that girl, and comparing myself to others relationships were my triggers.

You are young so you are already on the right track. Just don't ever give up. Try not to worry as much about counting the days but rather just live each moment trying to overcome this addiction. I find it easier when you are able to live life without worrying. I see it like this: when I keep count of the days it's as if I'm locked up in a cage but when I don't keep count I feel my chances of escaping this addiction is far greater.