Did I commit a sin or it is my scruples?

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. I was checking posts in the forum and read the M and P history of someone. This history included a warning about its content. I read anyway, and yes, its content was explicit and it was possible it could act as a trigger, but it didn't.
    I was imprudent. Did I put myself in a ocasion of sin? Should I abstain from reading? Does I need to confess again?
    I went to mass today and didn't receive communion because of this doubt :-(
    Please help me

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  2. We put ourselves in an occasion of sin when we willing ignore caution and place ourselves in circumstances which normally lead to our fall.

At any point in time did you knowingly ignore an inner voice cautioning you to avoid the content or to stop reading the content after finding out it was dangerous? If, yes, then, imo, you put yourself in an occasion of sin.

Sadly, this site is filled with tons of posts with descriptive sexual acts and stories which have zero place in any healthy recovery group; It’s so bad that there is an entire section of the forum dedicated to the encouraging of spewing such graphic content. While some at least put a spoiler as a caution, it’s really not that helpful especially on a forum of addicts who are prone to flirt with self-destructive behaviors. Blue “trigger warning” buttons might as well be a form a relapse Russian Roulette.

Mara43 likes this.
  3. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

The Church teaches that receiving the Eucharist “increases the communicant’s union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins, (CCC 1416).”

Receiving the Eucharist can transform one’s spiritual life. That’s why Pope Francis said in his Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium, the Eucharist “is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak.”

The catechism states that we are not to receive Holy Communion if we have a mortal sin on our soul. For a sin to be mortal, or deadly, one must be aware that the act is sinful and conscientiously commit it anyway. So, you must ask yourself if you knew before you read the story if it was sinful. If in doubt, why not go to confession?

Our Lord wanted to give us His Precious Body and Blood through the Eucharist. St. Thomas Aquinas called it "The Sacrament of Sacraments". Do whatever it takes to receive this wonderful sacrament in a state of grace.

Frequently, there are posts in this forum that will lead some to sinful thoughts. It is unfortunate but I presume these people haven't yet realized that posting tempting material is also a sinful act (and there may be those who fully intend to lure others to sin). Personally, I don't trust myself so I either don't read these or I skip to the end to avoid the details which could tempt me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    chris_macaveety and Mara43 like this.
  4. Thank you for your help

At first, when I saw the warning, I thought read and stop If found something inconvenient. And I stopped. But later I thought, if it has a warning, the better thing was not reading it at all.

I only knew it was "potentially" dangerous.

I just confessed the day before...
    But yes, I hope to go asap...

5. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

As Catholics we have the wonderful sacrament of Reconciliation and the wisdom of trained priests to consul us. Reconciliation and the sacrament of the Eucharist - we are truly blessed. It seems likely that if you tell your priest about the circumstances of what happened, he can give you better advice than any of us could. May God bless you with His grace today.

Mara43 likes this.
  6. Yes, we're so blessed!
    Thank you!
    Same for you

CPilot likes this.