1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dear NoFap, let's discuss the extremism here.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Palmtop Tiger, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelancholyWeightlifter

MelancholyWeightlifter Distinguished Fapstronaut

But...but...extremism is really fun.

2. wotawanka

wotawanka Fapstronaut

I like this thread and I'm glad there are others who think the same way as me. I neally didn't join the site after having read some of the posts on here, some of it was just too juvenile and some was too in your face in an almost evalengical way. The funny thing is that 2 of the people that turned me off are in this thread! Hey ho, I'll just have to learn to ignore. Overall though I like the content.

3. Good thread and you got some good points. Much of what I was thinking myself actually.

4. Dad

Dad Fapstronaut

There is no middle without the extremes.

5. fatcatslim

fatcatslim Fapstronaut

This thread has certainly opened up a lot of discussions and prompted a lot of reaction, which is all good for this community.
    The original topics of the thread i agree with.
    While i have had some helpful advice i would have to say that i have also had some not so helpful advice as well.
    I was advised against M during sex with my lady.
    I ignored this as this was something that we both wanted and the M was mutually beneficial.
    I certainly agree that PMO is not the ultimate evil.
    There are far worse things in the world than PMO.
    While it may have been a contributary factor to my marriage failing it was certainly not the major cause.
    But the way that some people put their opinion across can be very evangelical at times and i have to say juvenile.

It is good that there are plenty of people that want to share their experiences here, but we all have to remember that we are each of us on our own journey and everyone has to take their own path to ultimately get to where they are going.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. Misfit

Misfit Fapstronaut

What exactly is extremism anyway?

Is it feminism? Is it the male rights movement? Is it ideas about diet? Is it quoting the bible? Is it saying that all sex is wrong?

To me, it isn't about having an opinion, it's the way the opinion is presented - and there's a fine line between expressing a perspective, and promoting an opinion in a way that seems evangelical. There seems to be far too much of the latter.

Maybe the ban on religious critique needs to be lifted - like, why should people be able to post religious ideas completely unchallenged? In my opinion, either mentioning religion should be banned completely, or it should come with a degree of accountability.

7. wotawanka

wotawanka Fapstronaut

Well here's my answer, it's my journal entry from today. Sorry to be so saying so much when I'm so new here, but I guess my journal is about expressing what's really affecting me on any given day.

"Well it's day 7 (counter says 6) for me and the abstaining from PMO is easy so far. This site has a lot to do with that and I'm so thankful to the many people that have shared their stories and given me strength.

However this site in itself has become a bit of a problem for me. I'm intending to get involved and bare my soul on here. That won't be hard in some respects as I have the anonymity that the internet offers. However I don't want to do that in a children's playground that seems to have been inhabited by a lunatic fringe. I'm sure it's only a small minority that are shouting in everything they post but it seems to infect so many of the topics I read. I'm really sorry to be so negative in what is an undoubtedly a very supportive community but I've even begun to wonder if excessive masturbation seriously affects mental capacity or the ability to put forward an argument. That comment doesn't apply to the overwhelming majority of people on here and I don't wish to offend but there seems to be a constant annoying noise that drowns out so much of the good stuff on here.

I really apologise for speaking honestly but it's what I really feel. I'm not baring my soul in the company of extremist judgemental idiots."

8. MelancholyWeightlifter

MelancholyWeightlifter Distinguished Fapstronaut

I don't really understand who or what you guys are referring to here. Can I have some specific examples? Are you all just thinking of Clumsy? He is super new. In my experience most people who join the site and go on posting rampages like that leave pretty quick. Heck. I bet 75% of you guys posting on this thread will be gone relatively soon.

9. Vision

Vision Fapstronaut

What are the criteria for "extremism"?

I am here not very long and have seen two interesting members banned - Clumsy and JWMark. I quite understand that they upset some people and I don't agree with them on many things. But as MelancholyWeightLifter said "extremism is fun" and I miss them. What are the rules of excommunication? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.